Math question

It is A.

40 / 3 will give you three equal parts that add up to 40, so thirds.

40 / (1/3) Would be dividing 40 by the outcome of 1/3 so each part above would be a third of the value and there would be many more of them. - EDIT - yes, duh, as otehrs have pointed out there be 120 of them, because you are dividing by a number less than 1.

I didn't do the math so I don't know if it all works out without remainders and such, but that is your answer.

Last edited:
I agree, A.

A divides 40 into thirds, three equal parts of 13.33333

B shows how many 1/3’s are in 40, which is 120.

40 x 1/3 gives the same answer as A, as you are taking 1/3 of 40, or 13.33333.

---

Alternately it could be represented as a repeating decimal. It's 13.3 with 3's in perpetuity. A repeating decimal would be marked with an "overline" but there's no way to mark that here. I found this:

decimals-guide-10-638.jpg

The second one is equivalent to 40 x 3, or 120.

B.

Because you're saying dividing "into thirds" not "by three"

Into means put in that many groups, not controlled by. 40 divided by 1/3 would imply the 1/3 is in control.

I'm shocked that there's even any sort of debate on this. This is not a high level question.

B.

Because you're saying dividing "into thirds" not "by three"

No, because the original post said "divided into thirds" NOT "divided by a third".

3 thirds = 1 whole

or

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 3/3 = 1

The original post was asking how to divide 40 into thirds... in other words, how to divide 40 into 3 parts.

So it would be -

40 divided by 3.

or

40/3

Dividing "by 3" IS dividing "into thirds"

I disagree. The OP is asking about whole numbers and fractions. I don't think a mathematician would consider dividing a whole number into thirds as dividing a whole number by another whole number.

It is A. Another way to think about it is 40 * 1/3 as opposed to 40 / 1/3 and 40 * 1/3 is the same as A.

I disagree. The OP is asking about whole numbers and fractions. I don't think a mathematician would consider dividing a whole number into thirds as dividing a whole number by another whole number.

No, B would be "40 divided by one third" not "40 divided into thirds".

How would “40 divided into thirds” be written?

A. 40 ÷ 3
B. 40 ÷ 1/3

Why?

As a mathematician (BS, 1992) I read "into thirds" as producing 3 equal results. (When I teach it to kids, I tell them you are sharing equally among 3 friends/3 plates/3 bags...

Choice A is correct.

This mathematician (well statistician - PhD, 20120) would consider "dividing a whole number into thirds as dividing a whole number by another whole number"

My dad taught me the same way as PollyannaMom (though we used cookies as our "thing to divide").

Dividing something into thirds is the same as dividing a number in to 3 parts.
I don't think you'll find any mathematician that would disagree with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter