Matt meets the Imagineers, Tour of Walt's LA, and some Phoenix History.

whoever

DIS Veteran
For those looking for immediate Disney gratification, you'll have to bear with me. First off, I've got a few stops to make. You'll get a brief lesson in Phoenix History tied to LA to boot...

We start off leaving for the AP at 05:30 on Saturday morning, August 20th. We arrive at the airport a few minutes later, breeze through the terminal, security and find ourselves amply early for our 07:00 flight to LAX. We wander around for a few minutes figure we are kid-free for the second time in ten years and decide a breakfast at the Mexican restaurant in the terminal. A breakfast of marinated flank steak, eggs, and potatoes and some bloody marys and we were ready to go for the flight.

IMG_20160820_060333176%20(Large).jpg

The flight was pretty quick at just under an hour. We waited forever for a shuttle to get us to Avis, waited forever again in line to get a car, waited forever again for the car to be pulled up, and FINALLY left at 09:40. Yes... from the time we landed till the time we were in our car moving was about 1 hour 45 minutes. LAX is HORRIBLE and so is AVIS. Noted for future travel.

DSC_6823%20(Large).jpg

Our first stop is where the Phoenix History lesson comes into play... Inglewood Park Cemetary..

DSC_6824%20(Large).jpg

On October 16, 1931, Winnie Ruth Judd allegedly murdered her friends, Agnes Anne LeRoi and Hedvig Samuelson, in a alleged love quarrel over Happy Jack Halloran. She then bisected one and loaded them into trunks and on a train for Los Angeles where she was subsequently discovered and later, arrested. I live 1.8 miles from the scene of the crime, and nearly bought Happy Jack's house several years ago. A huge history buff, especially for local history, I've read every book on the matter as well as combed the microfiche of the 1930s reading about the crime and trial. Some sleuthing found out where Winnie had been buried, so while we were in the neighborhood, we decided to stop by and see her. She's registered in the records of the cemetery under an alias she used for many years while living in California after escaping from the mental hospital, however buried under her middle and maiden name.

DSC_6830%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6831%20(Large).jpg

I just thought this tree was interesting... no idea the species but kinda strange.

DSC_6835%20(Large).jpg

Our next stop... a park near a great theater which no longer exists...but first we pass the See's Candies Headquarters.

DSC_6840%20(Large).jpg

And talking Amy out of stopping at quite possibly the world's largest Joanne's

DSC_6844%20(Large).jpg

Beverly Hills ahead... the homes got very beautiful and very expensive very quickly..

DSC_6848%20(Large).jpg

And we reached our destination...91 years after the picture below was taken. Carthay as anybody who has been to the replica in DCA knows was where Walt chose to premier Snow White!!!

carthay-circle-theater-circa-1927.jpg

Sadly it's long-gone, but the area is still remarkable.

DSC_6858%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6860%20(Large).jpg

Because... NIKON!!!

DSC_6863%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6865%20(Large).jpg

This tree is ENORMOUS!!!

DSC_6870%20(Large).jpg

The Pioneer statue is great.

DSC_6878%20(Large).jpg

Shame it isn't still there.. would make for a better background.

DSC_6879%20(Large).jpg

We walked around for a bit afterward checking out the neighborhood. Decided to start heading North East around 11:00

That's the Petersen Automotive Museum... which I'd love to visit. Just not this trip.

DSC_6883%20(Large).jpg

And... The Tar Pits... also on my visit list...

DSC_6889%20(Large).jpg

Is this the ORIGINAL La Brea Bakery? Never put two and two together until this trip.

DSC_6900%20(Large).jpg

Hollywood..

DSC_6909%20(Large).jpg

Amy car-dancing..she has white-girl moves..

DSC_6911%20(Large).jpg

On our way to our next destination we were Yelping like crazy. Found The Faculty Smokehouse and Pub with high ratings at 11:41.. We walked in and were entranced by the delicous smell of the on-site smokehouse...Amy had a Brainless

Raspberry which was a wheat beer, and I had an IPA of the Nelson variety. A WONDERFUL Reuben with German Potato Salad for me, a Hot Roast Beef with the same side for Amy and were were stuffed.

IMG_20160820_114338165_HDR%20(Large).jpg

Up next, we cruised by the 1914-built, 4406 Kingswell Ave in the Los Feliz neighborhood. I'm a HUGE personal

property rights advocate, so I'm EXTREMELY torn on this house because nobody bothered to get historic protection

for it. The owners want to demolish it and put up some hideous hack and tract two story house. Such a shame as

it has original windows and just needs some love and TLC. I'm sure they would want way more than its worth to

sell it to someone who would lovingly restore it like I do with my homes of the era. Such a shame..

Here's an article on it.

http://laist.com/2016/07/20/walt_disneys_first_la_home_may_be_t.php

DSC_6930%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6933%20(Large).jpg

Just down the street from the house is also one of the first locations that Walt and Roy hung a shingle..4651

Kingswell

DisneyBrothersStudioStaff.jpg

DSC_6942%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6952%20(Large).jpg

After finishing up on Kingswell, we decided since we had a few hours before we could check in to the hotel, that a trip up to the Griffith Observatory was in order. I've wanted to go for years. Being a HUGE Rocketeer fan and ENORMOUS Art Deco fan, I must admit my motivations weren't for the attractions offered by the observatory, but moreso the observatory itself. The science geek in me was quickly swayed once we got there though. It was HORRIBLE traffic heading up the hill, and we parked the car at 1:20 a few hundred yards downhill from the fork to go either through the tunnel or up to the observatory and did the rest on foot.

DSC_6958%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6963%20(Large).jpg

The views even down the hill were amazing...

DSC_6968%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6970%20(Large).jpg

The hike up was a good one, but way too crowded.

DSC_6972%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6977%20(Large).jpg

Love the fascade and the mural on the ceiling

DSC_6981%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6986%20(Large).jpg

The panels kind of reminded me of the Diego Rivera murals at the Detroit Institute of Art.

DSC_6987%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6989%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6991%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6993%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6994%20(Large).jpg

Even the air vents were beautiful

DSC_6996%20(Large).jpg

Being overwhelmingly crowded inside, we decided to venture out onto the second level. We made our way around the perimeter and just took everything in..

DSC_7002%20(Large).jpg

IMG_20160820_135145694_HDR%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7004%20(Large).jpg

Even the doors are awesome..

DSC_7007%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7016%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7019%20(Large).jpg

That is a LOT of people...

DSC_7020%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7027%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7029%20(Large).jpg

We stopped in the cafeteria and grabbed some cold ice waters then made our way over to the gift shop to poke around for a bit. Afterwards, we spent quite a bit of time under the front lawn of the observatory where they placed an exhibit hall during the refurb of 2002.

DSC_7033%20(Large).jpg

Again... I LOVE the architecture and finishes..

DSC_7035%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7038%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7040%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7043%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7047%20(Large).jpg

The grounds are amazing too offering up great vistas in every direction.

DSC_7049%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7053%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7065%20(Large).jpg

Cute little tunnel..

DSC_7069%20(Large).jpg

We left Griffith Observatory at 3:00 and headed back down the hill to the car. A quick trip had us at the hotel at 3:27. We were staying at the Avenue Hotel on N Vermont Ave. We ended up at $155 after taxes for the night. More on the room later, but I really wish we had spent a little bit more for a nicer place. We hung around the room getting cleaned up, facetiming with the girls, and relaxing a bit. It had already been a long day.. After about 80 minutes, we decided to head over to our dinner location. We had a 6:00 dinner reservation. Where were we headed????

The Tam o' Shanter of course!!

DSC_7076%20(Large).jpg

We arrived at 5:06 as we wanted to ensure our best opportunity to sit in Walt's booth. Per a fellow Disney fan, I had called at 11:00 to request our reservation have a request for Walt's Booth added to it (Thanks for the head's up Nancy!!). They had told me no guarantees, so I wasn't taking any chances. When we arrived, we checked in. We were told someone was seated in the booth currently, which wasn't a big deal since we were so early. They said they'd accomodate us. Amy and I ventured over to the bar to wait. We each had a first drink, her a Jameson and Gingerale, myself, a Stone IPA.

As we were perusing the menu of food and drink something piqued Amy's interest... the Plaid Derby. A quick chat with the bartender and a sample of the Pamplemousse offered, she was sold. I opted for a second Stone.

IMG_20160820_171957145%20(Large).jpg

I tried it and approved. More on that later in the TR. Soon, the hostess came and got us and we were seated in Walt's booth by 5:45.

IMG_20160820_174647853%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7087%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7091%20(Large).jpg

We ordered up an appetizer (Tempura Green Beans) and our entres. Amy got the Salmon and I got the Prince Charles Prime Rib... Medium Rare of course.

As we sat there, we took it all in. The table still had the engravings from the Optimist Alternate Reality game carved into it albiet EXTREMELY FAINT over the years of wear.

First up is one of the two Primeval World doodles harkening back to the ’64-’65 World’s Fair which was original part of Ford’s Magic Skyway at the Fair but currently occupying the space between tomorrowland and the Main Street Train Station.

Inscription says "1/22 Primeval World Meeting 01BC"

IMG_20160820_180232557%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7077%20(Large).jpg

And a Stegosaurus

DSC_7086%20(Large).jpg

This one is related to Its A Small World.. also from the '64-'65 World's Fair..

Inscription is the IASW dolls, the outside diamond pattern, and the script "IASW FEB 14 is OB1C"

DSC_7083%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7085%20(Large).jpg

Also the inscription of "5/16/64 = 0L1N" which is a reference to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

IMG_20160820_180321637%20(Large).jpg

And another stating "Contact Carlos about "Tomorrow" "

IMG_20160820_180330620%20(Large).jpg

The Plus Ultra Logo:

IMG_20160820_180342103%20(Large).jpg

Not quite sure what this one was..

IMG_20160820_180400226%20(Large).jpg

Before too long we had wolfed down those delicious green beans and our entres arrived.

IMG_20160820_180527998%20(Large).jpg

We wrapped up with several coffees, a complimentary strawberry shortcake, and a creme brule. So good and so stuffed...

DSC_7093%20(Large).jpg

I REALLY want a copy of this print (also related to The Optimist). If anybody knows how to get one, please let me know.

It depicts Walt Disney and Imagineers Mary Blair, John Hench, and Bob Gurr going over the World’s Fair plans for Mr. Lincoln.

DSC_7095%20(Large).jpg

Took in a lot of the items hung on the wall on the way out as we left the restaurant at 7:13

DSC_7098%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7100%20(Large).jpg

DSC_7102%20(Large).jpg

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. I have been wanting to go to the Tam O'Shanter for a while now.

Up next, we cruised by the 1914-built, 4406 Kingswell Ave in the Los Feliz neighborhood. I'm a HUGE personal

property rights advocate, so I'm EXTREMELY torn on this house because nobody bothered to get historic protection

for it. The owners want to demolish it and put up some hideous hack and tract two story house. Such a shame as

it has original windows and just needs some love and TLC. I'm sure they would want way more than its worth to

sell it to someone who would lovingly restore it like I do with my homes of the era. Such a shame..

Here's an article on it.

http://laist.com/2016/07/20/walt_disneys_first_la_home_may_be_t.php

DSC_6930%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6933%20(Large).jpg

Just down the street from the house is also one of the first locations that Walt and Roy hung a shingle..4651

Kingswell

DisneyBrothersStudioStaff.jpg

DSC_6942%20(Large).jpg

DSC_6952%20(Large).jpg
Such a pretty house. What a shame they're tearing it down.

Thanks for the tr.

Hey, Matt. Fancy meeting you here! Great trip report so far. You were practically in my back yard. My son even went to school at Griffith Park. The architecture at the observatory really is amazing. So many people just don't notice it. Looking forward to reading more.

Hey, Matt. Fancy meeting you here! Great trip report so far. You were practically in my back yard. My son even went to school at Griffith Park. The architecture at the observatory really is amazing. So many people just don't notice it. Looking forward to reading more.

Hey Steven. Didn't know you were over here. I would have loved to meet some fellow Disney fans while I was in town, but we had this pretty much planned down to the hour being in town for such a short time. I love the architecture from the 20s-40s. It is pure art for me.

I thought I'd give this board a try. It seems to be pretty active, and I like that. Next time you're in the San Fernando Valley/Los Angeles area, and have some time, let me know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!