Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

whoever

DIS Veteran
This is a sub-report from my larger Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club 33 Trip Report found here:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/katherines-10th-birthday-trip-for-dapper-day-and-club-33.3560733/

And here we go......

We started in the far end of the Lobby. There were several pictures of people building Arts & Crafts resorts.

DSC_0421%20(Large).jpg

Our tour started with our guide reminding us that the ARTS AND CRAFTS movement started in the late 1800s, early 1900s and started over in Great Britain. It started in the time period where industrialization was coming about and machines were replacing entire shops... This upset the craftsmen because their jobs were being lost. That started John Ruskin to start writing about the movement featuring nature in design and the importance of craftsmanship. A fan of his writings, a gentleman by the name of William Morris. The Tapestries you see in the hotel were inspired by William Morris. The children's sized rocking chairs in front of the TV are Morris Chairs... He took John Ruskin's writing and put it to life. He had Morris & Company and hired a lot of those craftsman to build anything from tapestries to furniture. Here we fast forward to the United States...and talk about a gentleman named Bernard Maybeck who was considered the founding father of ARTS AND CRAFTS in California. She points to Maybeck in a picture hanging in the lobby...which is picturing Burbank California and playhouse he designed.

DSC_1818%20(Large).jpg

In another picture he was modeling one of the main ideas of the ARTS AND CRAFTS movement. Which was whoever designs it also builds it. The structure pictured was built in 1918. Unfortunately due to the fact that nobody did upkeep or maintenance, it was torn down in 1974. Frank Lloyd Wright - Falling Water in Bear Run, PA. The fun thing about the house is not only does it institute all the natural resources from the area, the sandstone was quarried from there, all the wood he utilized, but he also did a cantilevered design so half the house is hoisted over the river to show that merge between nature and design itself.

Pictured is this print of Falling Water Under Construction

DSC_1813%20(Large).jpg

Inside our main hotel area they do not have very much FLW in it. Some of the lamps are in his style. This photo is the hosts all-time favorite ARTS AND CRAFTS structure... this hotel. Most of this hotel is modeled after the Charles and Henry Greene brother's structures. She asked if anybody was aware of the Gamble House. Charles and Henry were well known for that house and structure in their buffalo style and craftsman style. One of the main ideas of a craftsman home was called an ingelnook: you'd have a huge room with nooks and crannies you could sit in and enjoy the hustle and bustle of the main portion of the house and still be away. For example, the lobby is a huge room, but there are nooks and the fireplace area where you can still see what's going on but be out of the way.

The aforementioned picture of the Grand's Fireplace nook under construction..

DSC_1816%20(Large).jpg

Peter Dominick was the designer for this hotel. Our guide asked if anybody had been to WDW. A few hands went up. She then inquired if we had seen the animal kingdom lodge or the wilderness lodge. Peter Dominick was also the designer of those as well. If it has Lodge in the name, he probably helped in some way, shape, or form. PD had the biggest challenge, which was taking a bungalow style home which is quaint and making it into a 745 room hotel. She asked who would want that challenge, to which only I raised my hand. She then proceeded to tell us how he did it and turned us around looking back down the reception area.

Before we proceed, let me apologize for the next few images. I didn't have any readily available, so these are the best I could source on short notice.. I promise to come back and rectify these shots after the next trip and any I did not shoot myself will be noted under them.

Behind the front desk you see three tapestries. On the far end you have one which looks like a garden.

Tapestry_Garden%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

As she had previously mentioned, bungalow style homes are usually modeled after the gardens which surround them. What would be like a garden, just bigger? A forest and this is where this next tapestry comes in.

Tapestry_Forest%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

The entire hotel is modeled after forests and has a forest surrounding it. In the middle was a tapestry of the hotel itself.

Tapestry_Hotel%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

Down in front you have the lovely lamps which were made for the hotel by Dale Tiffany and feature four California critters. Quail, Salamander, Butterfly, and a Snail. Down below you have for the four seasons.
They have something called the artisan program. The artisan program is made up of 30 different individuals/companies who contributed to the bungalow-style craftsman-style hotel. These are three of them, the dancing bears through the four seasons is her personal favorite. They were done by a husband and wife team from the Berkeley area. The wife hand molds the tiles out of terracotta and the husband does the installation. They also did several other pieces of art for the hotel.

Bears%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

Bears2%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

While we are in the reception area, she wanted to point out the ceiling. We wanted a welcoming, open, yet comforting feeling when you first walked in. This particular section of the lobby is modeled after First Unitarian church built by Albert C. Schweinfurth and Bernard Maybeck and was one of the first structures he built and built in 1894 and is still standing today. The fun part about it, in the worship area, they actually shipped down Madrones trees from Santa Barbara and steamed them so they would bend over all the pews. Luckily enough ours is made out of Disney wood, so it was easy to bend. They are still standing today, so if you look them up or go up to visit it up in Berkeley, the tree trunks are still bent over the worship area today. It is supposed to symbolize spiritual growth in life and the church, but here it is just a welcoming feeling.

DSC_3434%20(Large).jpg

So far as I can tell, this is the Church in question, however I've been unable to locate any interior pictures..

Church01%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

Church02%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

Church03%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

After that, we ventured outside to view some more of the bears. We headed out to the porte cochere. When they first opened the hotel, the column which greets you by the valet was completely blank. They went back to Susan Dannenfelser and Kirk Beck, the husband and wife team to ask if they could do more work for the hotel because it would much nicer if they could have a nice art piece to look at vs. the blank column. When they got the bears they thought they were kind of funny and asked what dance moves they were doing. It turns out she's a big football fan so one is the quarterback and one is the receiver. She actually dedicated each bear to someone who assisted with the designing and each of the bears has a name inscribed on the back of the tile.

Entry_Logo%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

Entry_Tiles%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

Entry_Bears_Playing%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

DSC_2339%20(Large).jpg

The most important part is the dark brown bear on the bell services desk. It's actually dedicated to all of you so thank you for coming and visiting.

Turning around, we looked and waited and waited and waited for the stained glass doors to close. This stained glass stems from the Gamble House in Pasadena. The Gamble house has a beautiful stained glass door with a Japanese Oak tree on it. The gamble house was actually built in 1908 and during that time period electricity was just brand new and they didn't have very bright burning lightbulbs like we have now. Back then if you could get a 35 watt lightbulb you were lucky. That's why the lamps are very dim. The idea was a solid wood door would hinder a lot of light and they wanted that natural light. Stained glass gave a nice artistic feel and also let light in without allowing people to see in through clear glass. On one side you have Grizzly peak which is the symbol of California Adventure. On the other side you have a redwood tree which symbolizes the hotel. When they come together it shows you how close they truly are. The hotel was actually supposed to be part of the theme park, but when they started building CA, they didn't know where they would put all the people who would come to visit the park so they took a chunk off and made the hotel. She likes to call it the free part of the theme park unless you stay here and then it's not so free. We headed around the corner and looked at the logo and she asked about the hidden mickey which everybody instantly pointed out at the top fo the tree trunk. We then headed down the walk way towards the conference center.

The Grand's doors..

DSC_4527%20(Large).jpg

And the Gamble House's doors for reference:

19375368400_6750c0e3ee_b%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

porter-frontdoor%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

She then went into a brief synopsis of the front of the hotel. The shingling made it look more like a redwood tree but if you look at the front of the hotel you'll notice there isn't a lot of shingling. In 1906 there was a huge fire in Northern CA. As you know in CA, wood and fire get a long great. Unfortunately a lot of Bernard Maybeck's houses burnt to the ground and he was very very upset about it and he ended up creating one of the first concrete houses and it was called the Lawson house which is still around today. The fun part about it was he did beautiful etch work in the concrete and used art tile as well to make it more artistically pleasing. He couldn't get away from the redwood too much as you can see the trellis work on the top was missing from his house as he did keep the redwood for the roof. Luckily enough for him it has survived earthquakes and other fires that have gone through over the past century.

Here is a picture of the Lawson House in it's current state:

ArchPhoto1ComboA_r1_c1%20(Large).jpg

We were then ushered back in with the promise of some Frank Lloyd Wright. Welcome to the convention space. It was a little different from the main hotel. There were lighter colors and more natural lighting. Those are key patterns of FLW. He loved to utilize nature whether it be the lighting or trees. One of his houses he didn't want to cut the tree down so it's now in the center of his living room. (Robert's house). He really loved the natural look.

And the Elm tree in the Robert's House

AllWright14_ARK-Blog_11_1%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

They didn't want to get too far away from the main hotel area so there is a darker trim, as well as the patterns are very similar along the walkways. We were taken in to the Board Room. The space is used for parties, weddings, conventions, and expos in the 20,000 square feet of interior event space. .

The California Boardroom had a foyer with two phone booths off each side which formerly had pay phones and its own M&F bathrooms as well. On the wall was a portrait of the Marin County Civic Center, one of FLW's first structures it was done in an En Plein Air Style which means open air. It was usually done by a painter who is painting it in quick 2-3 sittings using traveling artists with a limited palate of colors. It's usually small format around the size of a folio binder because they are traveling and cannot bring large canvases with them. They would sell their art and move on to the next town. If you are ever in San Juan Capistrano, they have a great exhibition of En Plein Air in the mission down there. Some are so small they need to have a magnifier on it so you can see all the details.

We were ushered in to the board room which is modeled after the Oak Park Playroom in PA. It has the same barreled ceiling, but this does not have the natural light the original has. The original playroom has a piano in an alcove inset in the wall at the far end and the mindset was when you played the piano, the entire room would act as the sounding board of the piano with the acoustics. As you can hear in the boardroom, the acoustics are also great which lead to them having to pad the walls. We were then instructed to try out the chairs, which are supremely soft, and it was mused about how anything can possibly get done by people sitting in such chairs. Instead of a piano, the board room just had a TV.. kind of a bummer.

The Canfornia Boardroom:

DSC_0425%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0427%20(Large).jpg

And the Oak Park Playroom for reference:

AACL_Only_Wright_Frank_Lloyd_Wright_Home_and_Studio_Playroom_Caulfield2_FLWT-e1428342427331-1024x769%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

You can see the piano here:

AACL_Only_Wright_Frank_Lloyd_Wright_Home_and_Studio_Playroom_1889-1898_Blessing_FLWT-814x1024-814x1024%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

And finally Katherine... getting used to her future seat of power at the Disney company...

DSC_0426%20(Large).jpg

We exited the convention center and headed straight across to the Brisa Courtyard. Brisa means North wind, and as you can see from the Brick work, it's sort of like a tornado which is blowing you out to the North, which lead us North towards the DTD entrance..

DSC_0430%20(Large).jpg

The idea continues with the lanterns going out to DTD with the wind blowing you that direction. The Brisa is the outdoor event area. They used to have more, but the DVC wing currently sits where those spaces were. As she mentioned at the beginning of the tour back out front, they had the shingling on the front of the hotel to make it look like a redwood tree. In the courtyard, it is a different color, green. If this was a redwood tree, this would be the North-facing part of the tree, or the mossy side. The Artisan Program was mentioned again as well as the multiple art pieces. Two were rather large. One, the flooring in the lobby which we would get to in a bit and secondly, beautiful gates going into DTD. She ran up to close one side of the gates while we waited. The gates were created by a gentleman by the name of Tim Burrows from MI. https://www.facebook.com/TimBurrowsMetalArtandDesign/

He did two other gates at The Grand. This one was named for the Blue moon inset into it, and yes, that is Tiffany glass. The theme is you are in a forest and walking out into a clearing known as DTD. Not many people can see that because it's always open. In the ten years our guide had worked there, it has only been closed twice. She asked if anybody had seen it before and I had to chime in about having seen it many moons ago on the cover of American Bungalow.

American_Bungalow%20(Large).jpg

Yes, I have that issue amongst my extensive collection of Arts & Crafts periodicals.

DSC_0435%20(Large).jpg

As we walked, I struck up a conversation with our guide. She asked about my interest in CARTS AND CRAFTS. Asked if I had been to the Gamble house, which regrettably, I have not. She mentioned the Grand's lead facilitator has close contacts with them and they send updates about what they discover during their restoration activities.

She talked about the refurbishment pictures hanging up and the materials as we passed into the lobby. When we first walked in, the cabinets were prevalent. There are four cabinets, and all are different. 4 different artisans created them. The one we were positioned in front of had the bears which mimicked those of the front desk. This one was her particular favorite because of what was inside it.. Roycrofters... There was a gentleman by the name of Elbert Hubbard. He was the leading Larkin soap salesman in Buffalo New York and he loved to write, but without a college degree, nobody would publish him. So he got frustrated by this and traveled to Europe. Remember when she said the founding father was William Morris.. well they happened to meet up, just by chance. William Morris also published some of his own books with the Kelmscott Press.

In 1891 Morris rented a cottage near Kelmscott House in England and set up three printing presses. He had long been interested in the printing and the binding of fine books, and there, influenced by mediaeval illuminated manuscripts and the work of early printers, he would design and manufacture beautiful editions of over fifty books written by himself as well as others. The books issued by the Kelmscott Press were expensive as Morris designed his own typefaces, made his own paper, and printed completely by hand. They were worth it though, and ever so beautiful. They were designed to be read slowly, to be appreciated, to be treasured, and thus made an implicit statement about the ideal relationships which ought to exist between the reader, the text, and the author — a statement which we have, by and large, continued to ignore. Elbert Hubbard thought that was brilliant, came back to NY, built his own press named the Roycrofter press and said "if you won't print me, I'll print myself". The most popular book of his was "A thousand and one Epigrams"

Thanks for sharing Matt, interesting stuff there. We have enjoyed our stays at the GCH, but it has been a few years. We really liked our visit to AKL a few years ago, would definitely stay there again.

Thanks for sharing Matt, interesting stuff there. We have enjoyed our stays at the GCH, but it has been a few years. We really liked our visit to AKL a few years ago, would definitely stay there again.

I realized I awkwardly split this TR. Not sure how that happened. I'll correct it when I get the next installment up. Honestly, I'm a little bummed about the new room treatment. I've been picking up the previous furnishings for my own home, but it won't be the same without those classic A&C touches. The new furnishings aren't as much keeping with the A&C theme.

We will stay there again, but next trip is DLH in November. I LOVE my Grand though. It's just home for us..

Thanks for your tour report. I've taken this tour a few times, but none have not included the convention center.

Coincidentally, I'm touring a Green Gables next month (1911 Greene & Greene designed home).
An event sponsored by McRoskey Mattress (local SF company) to introduce new bed linens (likely $$$).
...Honestly, I'm a little bummed about the new room treatment. I've been picking up the previous furnishings for my own home, but it won't be the same without those classic A&C touches. The new furnishings aren't as much keeping with the A&C theme...
Where have you found the previous furnishing?
I have noticed a few items on eBay (example: wall fixture).

Thanks for your tour report. I've taken this tour a few times, but none have not included the convention center.
I like retaking tours when I have time to see what has changed. I've done WIWF twice (both the apartment and the dream suite) but never doubled up on a hotel tour. If I only had more time...

Coincidentally, I'm touring a Green Gables next month (1911 Greene & Greene designed home).
An event sponsored by McRoskey Mattress (local SF company) to introduce new bed linens (likely $$$).
Ooooohh... those would be so much fun for me. I need some non-Disney trips away from the kids so I can do grownup stuff like those.

Where have you found the previous furnishing?
I have noticed a few items on eBay (example: wall fixture).

I made some contacts in the secondary market. If you venture over to the dark side, you can see some of the acquisitions

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/...-your-home-feel-a-little-more-like-disneyland

Here's a teaser:
IMG_4667%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
In 1891 Morris rented a cottage near Kelmscott House in England and set up three printing presses. He had long been interested in the printing and the binding of fine books, and there, influenced by mediaeval illuminated manuscripts and the work of early printers, he would design and manufacture beautiful editions of over fifty books written by himself as well as others. The books issued by the Kelmscott Press were expensive as Morris designed his own typefaces, made his own paper, and printed completely by hand. They were worth it though, and ever so beautiful. They were designed to be read slowly, to be appreciated, to be treasured, and thus made an implicit statement about the ideal relationships which ought to exist between the reader, the text, and the author — a statement which we have, by and large, continued to ignore.

Elbert Hubbard thought that was brilliant, came back to NY, built his own press named the Roycrofter press and said "if you won't print me, I'll print myself". The most popular book of his was "A thousand and one Epigrams". An epigram is a short, witty saying. "All that glitters is not brass". He stole that from Shakespeare, but we'll let him have that one.

Everything in the cabinet was an actual original Roycrofter piece. What ended up happening was that people wanted to come from all over to hear what Elbert Hubbard was thinking and writing which about his ideas. But unfortunately in that time, Buffalo NY wasn’t as big as it is right now, it was more of a rural area. They only had one or two houses so Elbert Hubbard hired a bunch of craftsmen to build a hotel and also became the Roycrofter complex which had several houses and they also created their own items like leatherwork, books, pottery, and porcelains. Just to survive day-to-day business. They also sold them as well to earn some money. Unfortunately, Elbert Hubbard passed on but his company did not.

The company passed on to somebody else and continued to make these lovingly created items and those later pieces are called Roycrofter Renaissance pieces. The original Roycrofter pieces you'll see have the symbol shown on the book at the bottom of the cabinet. It's a circle with an ‘R’ and an antenna on it. A Roycrofter Renaissance piece has two ‘R’s back to back.

Some Original Roycrofters from the aforementioned cabinet:

DSC_0548%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0549%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0552%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0553%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0554%20(Large).jpg

And the two symbols, the first for original Roycrofter works:

roycroft-stamp%20(Small).jpg

And the second for Roycrofter Renaissance pieces:

roycroft-ren-stamp%20(Small).jpg

The largest Roycrofter Renaissance piece they have is actually located inside of the middle of the lobby. It's the beautiful vase on the table in the middle. She wouldn't recommend picking it up to look at the coat of arms.. it's quite heavy so she just asked you to trust her on it.

DSC_0556%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0558%20(Large).jpg

The cabinet we were in front of was the only one which had originals. The others were all inspired or replicas of actual Roycrofters as originals tend to be a little bit pricey.

Some examples from the other cabinets:

DSC_1821%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1822%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1823%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1824%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1826%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1829%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1832%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1833%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1836%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1838%20(Large).jpg

DSC_1839%20(Large).jpg

She had us turn our attention to the lobby itself. One thing she wanted to bring us back to was the idea that it is a forest. Peter Dominick wanted you to walk into the center of the lobby and feel like you were coming into the center of a forest clearing. You have the beautiful tree trunks with the moss growing up it. The chandeliers are the branches with berries on them. And down below, you have the wonderful groundcover that goes underneath it all.

The mossy trunk:

DSC_0560%20(Large).jpg

The branches and berries:

DSC_3417%20(Large).jpg

The ground cover in the spirit of a bungalow home is also a welcome mat. It is hand woven, and comes out onto the marble and slate on the outside portions. The stonework was cut on waterjet which she equated to "new age Arts & Crafts" technique which was truly using nature for your design using water (and suspended abrasives she forgot about) to cut the pieces to make them how you like. She inquired if anybody in the group could tell her what kind of flowers the yellow ones with the orange in the center were... I resisted at first, but after a few labored moments blurted out "California Poppies". Ooops.. I must try not to be "that guy". As many may know, poppies open and close with sunlight. If you are in a clearing in a forest you only get partial sunlight so the poppies are only just partially open. When you get outside, they are fully open. It's amazing how the imagineers tie it all together.

Those Poppies!!

DSC_3406%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:

THANK YOU!!! That was amazing! We've stayed at the Grand many times and I knew none of this and often wondered why something things were in the China Cabinets. Outstanding!!! I must somehow find a way to do make time to do this tour on our next visit. So exciting.

I HAVE to do this tour!!! Thanks, Matt, for your fabulous pictures and details. I love the A&C style and am bummed to hear that the new rooms have gone away from it. It's such a perfect theme for the hotel. Great report :)

THANK YOU!!! That was amazing! We've stayed at the Grand many times and I knew none of this and often wondered why something things were in the China Cabinets. Outstanding!!! I must somehow find a way to do make time to do this tour on our next visit. So exciting.

There's another 2-3 of this TR/review coming, so stay tuned. I'd LOVE to take it again, but my next trip we are staying at the DLH. I'm trying to plan their tour as well because I'm also a big DLH fan and LOVE the history of it. If you like the DLH, I might recommend picking up these books. I have one of each signed by the author and they are GREAT!! If I end up doing the tour (big if because we are trying to squeeze in Dapper Day, a potential C33 late dinner, Cabana, and SH55/Napa somewhere into a brief 4.5 days) I'll do a review/TR of that one as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Disneyland-Ho...sneyland+hotel
https://www.amazon.com/Disneyland-Ho...YF019F56D886DZ

I HAVE to do this tour!!! Thanks, Matt, for your fabulous pictures and details. I love the A&C style and am bummed to hear that the new rooms have gone away from it. It's such a perfect theme for the hotel. Great report :)

Thanks Cheri! Let me know if you do it when you are there next (Tiki day is it?) I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and whether they've changed up the content. I am REALLY intrigued that I heard on previous tours, they would take you into the Suites in the hotel!!! I've only ever seen pics/videos of those, but I would LOVE to see them in person.

DH always takes this tour......probably 10 times or so now.
He usually ends up talking more than the guide. He knows his Arts and Crafts very well.
He even donated a lot of little books to the hotel.

DH always takes this tour......probably 10 times or so now.
He usually ends up talking more than the guide. He knows his Arts and Crafts very well.
He even donated a lot of little books to the hotel.

Oooohh... that would totally be me. So awesome that pieces from your personal collection are part of the hotel's exhibit. That's pretty special.

Oooohh... that would totally be me. So awesome that pieces from your personal collection are part of the hotel's exhibit. That's pretty special.

Not sure what they did with them....we go in Oct. I will have to look around and see if any are on display.
He also made somethings for Napa Rose, that I know are displayed in there.

Not sure what they did with them....we go in Oct. I will have to look around and see if any are on display.
He also made somethings for Napa Rose, that I know are displayed in there.

You'll have to take a close look at the Napa part of the tour to see if you see them. That will be probably two more installments before I get to that part.

Disclaimer: The pictures in this installment are not mine. I will be replacing them when I can grab some I shot, but for the mean time and the purpose of this TR, they will have to suffice. Try as I might, I could only find this SINGLE PICTURE I've taken of the lounge..

DSC_2641%20(Large).jpg

We then ventured over the hearthstone lounge. If it were a bungalow styled home it would be known as the game room, or the early-day man-cave. Women were usually not allowed in the game room. It truly is a game room because if you look on the table at the back, it has a chess/checkers board. You can actually play chess or checkers and the barkeep has all the pieces. In case you don't want to go to Disneyland this is an alternative for you. Because women weren't allowed, the imagineers felt bad so every painting in the lounge is of women. They even had a lovely lady carved above the bar above one of the epigrams mentioned earlier. "NATURE IS THE SOURCE OF ALL ARTISTIC EXPRESSION".

Epigram%20(Large).jpg

(Not my Picture)

Bar%20(Large).jpg

(Not my Picture)

Our host wanted to point out two things. First, every piece of wood, the bar, the paneling, everything, it all came from a single tree. They didn't cut it down, it had fallen in Northern CA. They brought it down, and in a homage to how much of an influence Bernard Maybeck was to this style, dedicated the room to him by using redwood all over.

The beautifully appointed lounge with its wonderous woodwork pictured here:

Grand-Californian-hearthstone%20(Large).jpg

(Not my Picture)

Lounge%20(Large).jpg

(Not my Picture)

The second, are the chandeliers. The best part of these chandeliers are very closely mimicking the chandeliers Bernard Maybeck did up in the First Church of Scientist of Berkley, CA, which he received a Gold medal award from Architectural Digest for that structure and it's still around today. They wanted to make them look so much like the originals that they even put the cloven bulbs on the bottom of them like they still have over in Berkeley. They've made two slight modifications. The originals had three circles representing the trinity. The imagineers just shrunk down the upper two to make a hidden Mickey but otherwise they look almost identical to the originals.

The chandelier from the lounge:

Hearthstone_Chandelier%20(Large).jpg

(Not My Picture)

The Chandeliers in the First Church of Scientist of Berkley:

christ_scientist_ceiling%20(Large).jpg

(Not My Picture)

We exited the lounge to the eastern patio and walked up to the pool entrance. She mentioned that here was the second gate Tim Borrows had done for them. The first being the Blue Moon Gate, which was also present in the lanterns around the hotel.

You can see some of those lanterns pictured from one of my previous trips where we stayed above the GCH entrance with a great view of Napa Rose...

DSC_0315%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0264%20(Large).jpg

This gate, known as the Arbor Gate is special because of all the little critters he put on to it. They asked him how he got them to look so life like and because we had been a good tour group, she told us the secret...he said he hammered them until they looked good. The fun part about it was not only the ones you could see, but it was the ones that he added that got away from him. At the bottom was a snail trail from the snail that didn't really stick. The gate is all hand hammered.

The Arbor Gate:

arbor_gate%20(Large).jpg

(Not my picture)

The third gate was right around the corner so we started in that direction. As we walked, she instructed us to look at the brick wall to our left. She had mentioned that nature was the source of the design for any of the Arts & Crafts Movement and the Gamble house is a great example of it because in the back of the Gamble house there is a nice pond area which is all done out of brick work. They had pillars which resembled the ones here which encircle the entire pond area made out of a particular kind of brick. When she asked if anybody knew what kind they were, Amy and I said in unison "Clinker Brick". For those not yet indoctrinated, clinker bricks are those placed too close to the fire which are popped, cracked, or discolored. During 1908 when they were building the Gamble House, it was the perfect price of .. free. The bricks lend a very natural look especially given that the wall waves like the pool it surrounds. Amy happened to notice the trees here were fruit trees to which the guide commented that they were indeed REAL FRUIT.

She walked us over to a mosaic inset into the ground by the north gate. The artisan who created it was from Northern California as well and she knew this would be an exterior installation so she traveled all over the world to get clay which was the natural color she was after so it would not fade like other dyed clays. She also knew that it would be placed adjacent to the third of Tim Burrow's gates, the Sun Gate, so she made it into a working sun dial. If you stand in the center, it will tell you what time it is based upon where your shadow falls when you are viewing it from South to North using only the open Poppies to count.

DSC_0441%20(Large).jpg

Based upon the shadow, it was roughly 1:45 according to our guide... which it was actually 1:42.. when I snapped this pic...remarkable.

DSC_0443%20(Large).jpg

This is also one of the main ideas of the Arts & Crafts movement which is that not only does everything have beauty but is functional.

The Sun Gate (Back side, it's better if taken from outside the gate):

DSC_0442%20(Large).jpg

After leaving through the sun gate, we took a few steps to enter The Library of our bungalow style home or as most of us would know it, Storyteller's Cafe. Chip and Dale were wandering the dining room and our host asked Katherine how you could tell them apart. Katherine being a Disney Savant clearly knew that Chip has a nose colored like a Chocolate Chip. They call this area the library because the beautiful tile work between the serving stations was taken from the Wilmington Library in Wilmington, California and is modeled after the one they have in the Robin Hood Room and it's called The Children's book. They made two modifications to it, besides making it on a grand scale. First they made the castle look a little bit like Sleeping Beauty's Castle and they added Tinkerbelle. The original did have a fairy but Tink being mischievous needed to put her own pixie dust on it.

Another reason they call it the library is because of all the epigrams. They have "A RESTFUL RETREAT", "FROM THE SEED TO THE HARVEST FROM THE KITCHEN TO YOUR TABLE", "HEARTH AND HOME".

Here's one of them from earlier in this trip:

DSC_9807%20(Large).jpg

The third and final reason, the designers decided to go through hundreds of stories about California and they narrowed it down to eight. The first one is all of the metal work you see tells the story of the California gold rush. The other seven are featured in the oil paintings on the back walls.

From Left to right:

The Cruise of the Dazzler by Jack London
The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck
The Californians by Gertrude Atherton
Ahwahnee: An Indian Tale by wandering poet
The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

I only got the following not-so-great shots of the paintings:

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

DSC_0445%20(Large).jpg

Island of the Blue Dolphins

DSC_0448%20(Large).jpg

The characters are not only featured in the oil paintings but also the lanterns above and the carpets below.

I'm kinda bummed... I really feel like I let myself and this TR down by not getting enough pics of the details. I really didn't take many pics during this tour and it's coming back to bite me. I'm making a list for the next trip to remedy that and get some shots of all the things I missed.

Sorry if I missed this...but do you have to be a hotel guest at GCH to take the tour or is it open to the public?

Sorry if I missed this...but do you have to be a hotel guest at GCH to take the tour or is it open to the public?

I THINK you just have to be a guest of the DLR hotels, not necessarily the Grand itself. That being said... you might be able to fake them out and attend even if not a guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter