MAUI shopping

disneyred

DIS Veteran
I cant help a colleague of mine, so hope are can direct me to find an answer here !. He will be in Maui for 3 days and would like to hit a shopping outlet (similar to what I know as premium outlets in florida). where is the best place to go ? thx!

Don't think there is one. People looking for discount shopping in Maui, go to Costco. The selection IS different from Mainland stores, and prices comparably discounted.

Maui is not a big island. There may be an outlet mall on Oahu, but I don't recall one in Maui.

I stand corrected. Lahaina has one.

I would just warn your friend, however, that prices for everything in Maui tend to be a LOT higher than mainland stores because EVERYTHING has the shipping costs involved in getting it to the island. The only thing that was cheaper was pineapple. LOL.

I would just warn your friend, however, that prices for everything in Maui tend to be a LOT higher than mainland stores because EVERYTHING has the shipping costs involved in getting it to the island. The only thing that was cheaper was pineapple. LOL.

Outlet store prices tend to be uniform though.

My question is "Why?" If your traveling to a somewhat exotic location, enjoy the local scene. Why go out of your way to buy something that you can get anywhere?

My question is "Why?" If your traveling to a somewhat exotic location, enjoy the local scene. Why go out of your way to buy something that you can get anywhere?
I know there are tons of helpful people here and and a great wealth of information.. he is just a colleague from work ..so not sure of his reason for asking this .. thought I could help him.. but you are right ....wish I could spend time there !!!

I haven't been to Maui in decades, Bu Maui is the more "relaxed" island. More for surfers & for chilling. All the shopping was at Honolulu.

Maui has some upscale shopping areas. Nothing as large as in Honolulu. The small outlet area in Maui is in the town of Lahaina and isn't worth a glance.

Last edited:

There is an outlet mall in Lahaina on Maui. We visited it when staying there two years ago. Its not far from the Kanaapali beach region, which is on the opposite side of the island from the airport.

We have some fairly large outlet malls where I live in Niagara Falls, and this one in Maui would not hold a candle to them. It was very small and there were not many great deals. Typical of what you'd find at any outlet mall anywhere. The only benefit of it is that its walking distance of Front St in Lahaina which has great dining.

If he visits Oahu, there is a much larger outlet mall near Kapolei.

I know there are tons of helpful people here and and a great wealth of information.. he is just a colleague from work ..so not sure of his reason for asking this .. thought I could help him.. but you are right ....wish I could spend time there !!!

It's crazy sometimes what people ask for. I've helped out a few coworkers visiting from Asia. They didn't know their way around and I took them shopping in my car to San Francisco. They had a list of basic things to get for friends and relatives - including American Eagle Outfitters and A&F. The closest place to find those was in San Francisco at the time although they also wanted to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. But they were spending their precious time that they could have spend sightseeing after work just buying all sorts of stuff.

The other thing about the outlet malls around here is that they have tons of promotions for Asian tourists. Many take JCB (Japan) and UnionPay (China). I'm sure in Maui a lot of the major stores take those now.

I remember going on a trip with my in-laws when we were on the Big Island. We went to get supplies at a big discount chain, but for some reason they saw Timex watches and spent almost an hour picking them out as gifts for someone. It made no sense, but to them it did.

As others have said, there is an outlet mall in Lahaina. If they are staying at one of the Kaanapali area hotels then there is a cheap bus that goes there or a short Uber ride. There’s Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, Banana Republic, Adidas, etc. as well as a store called Hilo Hattie’s that sells Hawaiian clothes and Dole Whip! The mall is on Front Street which has lots of smaller boutique stores and restaurants as well as the second largest Banyan tree in the world which is incredible!

While it’s a must-do for me, coming from Australia, I would still suggest hitting the shops after the sun has set on the beautiful beaches and happy hour has finished; they close at 10pm so there’s plenty of time!

they are staying at one of the Kaanapali area hotels then there is a cheap bus that goes there or a short Uber ride.

Just wanted to add that if the OP's co-worker happens to be staying at a Starwood property in Kaanapali, there is also a free shuttle that has a stop at the outlets.

I still stand by my original post that if the OP's co-worker is American (with American dollar and used to outlet malls), then he may be disappointed with the offerings there.

Why oh why would anyone want to shop in Maui?! MAUI?!?! Tell him/her to go spend those 3 days outside soaking up the amazing life-changing scenery there. And shop when he/she gets home. Crazy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter