May 2018 car rental watch

I just prepaid for Dollar 5/5 - 5/14 $217.36 (City Special). You can cancel up to 48 hours before and not be charged. So far this is the best deal I have found. I will keep looking - last year I was able to get a car for $148 for 10 days. Hopefully the rates will continue to drop.

Are you certain about that? Below an excerpt I pulled off their website regarding prepay policy. I wanted to do the prepay also, but if I subsequently get a better deal I want to be able to get a full refund.

Changes to a reservation must be done at Dollar.com using the "Modify/Cancel" option. Any changes to the reservation may impact the rental charges. If a prepaid reservation is cancelled more than 24 hours before the pickup time, a $50 cancellation fee will be assessed. If the prepaid reservation is cancelled within 24 hours before the pickup time, a $100 fee will be assessed. If the customer does not cancel the reservation prior to the time of pick-up and the rental vehicle is not picked up on the rental date, the entire prepaid amount will be forfeited.

https://www.dollar.com/~/media/Dollar/Files/Email_content/Dollar Prepay Terms and Conditions.ashx

Best rate so far for a minivan I just got through airportrentalcars.com (through Priceline) just now. $221 for a week rental with all fees and taxes. I use the Budget corporate code of U112000 they gave on their Twitter. I just canceled my Hertz that was $325! *for reference we are riding ME so this pickup is mid trip in Disney Springs not at the airport, 7 days.

Dollar today (and tomorrow) has a flash sale. I got a mid size SUV for $177 for 5/6 - 5/12. Mini van was about $250. Standard SUV was $214.
  • *Base Rate includes Pay Later base rates.Taxes & fees excluded.
  • Offer applies to daily, weekly and weekend rentals.
  • Enter CDP# 3060397 to redeem offer.
  • Twenty-four (24) hour advance reservations required.
  • This offer is redeemable at participating Dollar locations in the U.S. and Canada excluding New York.
  • Offer valid for a rental minimum of one (1) day for weekend rental and five (5) days for a weekly rental.
  • Blackout periods may apply.
  • Offer may be cancelled, modified, or altered at any time without prior notice.
  • Offer valid on Economy through Full-size, Premium, Luxury, Minivan, Standard SUV, Midsize SUVs and Large SUVs only.
  • Book NOW through March 29, 2018 for rentals April 1, 2018 through May 31, 2018.

I was able to book a midsize SUV with Hertz using AAA CDP for 5/12-5/19 for 294/week. It was a prepaid rate and didn't think I would get much better than that so I went ahead and booked. I Checked today and same class is down to 251. Guess I should have waited it out a little longer.

I was able to book a midsize SUV with Hertz using AAA CDP for 5/12-5/19 for 294/week. It was a prepaid rate and didn't think I would get much better than that so I went ahead and booked. I Checked today and same class is down to 251. Guess I should have waited it out a little longer.

I'm so sorry. :flower3:I just hate it when I lose the rental car gamble. Rates have been the highest I have ever seen this year.

I'm so sorry. :flower3:I just hate it when I lose the rental car gamble. Rates have been the highest I have ever seen this year.

I know! I checked again today and it is down even lower. Maybe if it keeps going down it will make sense to cancel and rebook. I'm still pretty happy with the rate overall for that category so its not that big of a deal but it just stinks when you know you could of saved a little more.

[/QUOTE]Changes to a reservation must be done at Dollar.com using the "Modify/Cancel" option. Any changes to the reservation may impact the rental charges. If a prepaid reservation is cancelled more than 24 hours before the pickup time, a $50 cancellation fee will be assessed. If the prepaid reservation is cancelled within 24 hours before the pickup time, a $100 fee will be assessed. If the customer does not cancel the reservation prior to the time of pick-up and the rental vehicle is not picked up on the rental date, the entire prepaid amount will be forfeited.

https://www.dollar.com/~/media/Dollar/Files/Email_content/Dollar Prepay Terms and Conditions.ashx[/QUOTE]

I checked the terms and conditions before I booked. It states in the cancellation policy that the reservation can be cancelled without penalty up to 48 hrs. before. If I find a better rate I will book a new reservation and cancel this reservation (I won't try to modify it). So far the $217 is the best rate I have seen.

Last edited:

Dollar today (and tomorrow) has a flash sale. I got a mid size SUV for $177 for 5/6 - 5/12. Mini van was about $250. Standard SUV was $214.
  • *Base Rate includes Pay Later base rates.Taxes & fees excluded.
  • Offer applies to daily, weekly and weekend rentals.
  • Twenty-four (24) hour advance reservations required.
  • This offer is redeemable at participating Dollar locations in the U.S. and Canada excluding New York.
  • Offer valid for a rental minimum of one (1) day for weekend rental and five (5) days for a weekly rental.
  • Blackout periods may apply.
  • Offer may be cancelled, modified, or altered at any time without prior notice.
  • Offer valid on Economy through Full-size, Premium, Luxury, Minivan, Standard SUV, Midsize SUVs and Large SUVs only.
  • Book NOW through March 29, 2018 for rentals April 1, 2018 through May 31, 2018.
Is your price of $177 "all in"? I'm going almost the same dates, and I came nowhere close to your deal.

Is your price of $177 "all in"? I'm going almost the same dates, and I came nowhere close to your deal.

I got $156 all in May 6-12 on Managers Special- Compact car or larger.
Thanks very much for the code!!!

(I should specify.... used above code for Dollar. Expires today CDP#3060397)
:thanks:

Also.... strange but true.... price using iPhone was $30 cheaper than using iPad.... can't figure out that one!!!

Last edited:
I got $156 all in May 6-12 on Managers Special- Compact car or larger.
Thanks very much for the code!!!

(I should specify.... used above code for Dollar. Expires today CDP#3060397)
:thanks:

Also.... strange but true.... price using iPhone was $30 cheaper than using iPad.... can't figure out that one!!

It is all in -- sorry I didn't see this post yesterday.

Currency: U.S. DOLLAR
Rate Code: FLW55
Your Rate: 1 Week at $124.38 per week. Unlimited mileage.

Approximate Fees and Surcharges
Cust Facility Chrg: $12.50
Concession Fee Rec: $12.91
Florida Surcharge: $12.12
Energy Surcharge: $1.49
Tourism Fee: $3.23
Approximate Taxes
State Tax: $10.83
Approximate Total: $177.46

Maybe I caught it when inventory was higher..

I checked the terms and conditions before I booked. It states in the cancellation policy that the reservation can be cancelled without penalty up to 48 hrs. before. If I find a better rate I will book a new reservation and cancel this reservation (I won't try to modify it). So far the $217 is the best rate I have seen.

Yep you're right. The link I had must've been old. I just booked the managers special because quite honestly I don't think I'm going to get anything lower from Alamo. Even if I end up with a Compact thats all right because we use ME on arrival and RAC at resort when we leave so we really don't need space for luggage. Listed below is current terms/ conditions regarding cancellation.

What is your cancellation policy for fully prepaid or part-paid bookings?
1 - If you cancel 48 hours prior to your pick-up, you will be refunded in full.
2 - If you cancel less than 48 hours in advance of pick-up, you'll receive a refund minus USD55. If your online payment is less than USD55, no refund will be made for your car rental booking.

:thumbsup2 Thanks for the heads up mom, the code is still working as of today and my trip doesn't start until June 1st. Even though I was outside the listed parameters it gave me a pretty good deal. Now I have that out of the way I just have FP selections in a few days and then I'm finally done planning.

Last edited:
Please be careful. I just used the 3090396 code and the prepaid amount was not including the taxes and fees. So midsize SUV was $179 but it stated that I would need to pay $68 at the counter which the total in is $248. So please read the fine print of the total estimate. Specific for Dollar using 3090396

Alamo went down for us today. Costco dropped but found a little better rate using AD2823JAZ $25 coupon and 7015071 wyndam rewards Hoping this is a trend because still higher than it should be. Our dates are 24-May to 2-June.

I have been watching rates for our trip May 15-23 picking up and dropping off at MCO. They finally dropped yesterday low enough for my husband to agree to get a rental car. I went through costco travel and got an intermediate SUV for $225 total, this morning it dropped another $6 to $219. I don't see it going lower but i'm happy with that rate and will continue to watch and see if a bigger SUV or Mini Van drops. So check your Costco rates and see if they dropped this morning!

I’m holding an intermediate at Alamo for $297 and a mid-size suv for $328 for 5-15th. Still seems high but maybe it’ll come down some. Not sure we’ll fit in the intermediate with all our luggage and stroller.

Prices have dropped pretty good for picking up at Tampa (TPA) and dropping off at Orlando (MCO). Much better than rates I'm seeing for picking up and dropping off at MCO for 26-May to 4-JUN.

Finally saw a drop for my dates (May 4th thru 12th). Snagged an SUV with Alamo through Costco Car Rental for $229 [8 day rental].

Finally seeing some downward movement. For months I was stuck at $318. for a fullsize vehicle May 19 - 29 [10 full days]. Today, it dropped to $250. for a midsize SUV using Costco discount and AD2365FDN [$30] coupon. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!