May 2019

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
Disney World vet here and planning to take advantage of the Disneyland ticket offer and head to California at the end of May 2019. Right now plans are to land at LAX on Friday, May 17. We would be in the parks on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday, before leaving on Wednesday, May 22 to head to Yosemite. There are Grad Nites on Saturday and Tuesday of our stay. Magic Morning on Saturday and Tuesday as well. Can someone give me an idea on which nights I could expect World of Color, Parades, Fantasmic, etc. I know not everything runs on every night and its ok if we miss some of it. Our kids are 7, 5, and 1 year so they truthfully like rides as well as anything. We are leaning towards getting parkhoppers, but aren't sure about the Maxpass. I could add that for just a day or two once there, right? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I've read through Hydroguys info off and on different times over the last 6 months and it has been really helpful! Now that I have actual days picked though, I would appreciate some specific help if possible! Thanks!

The best guessing at this point is that SW:GE will be opening sometime in mid-to-late-June, so it's hard to say whether that will impact the schedule in May (assuming there will be preview events, media events, hard ticket events, etc. happening prior to the official public opening).

Assuming no impacts due to SW:GE, Memorial Day weekend has been the start of the summer season in the past. You'll be there before that, so the parks should still be on the non-peak season schedule. This usually means F! and fireworks will only be presented on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. WoC and parades are typically presented daily. They have said there will be nightly projection show starting in January (no end date given), which will have fireworks added on the weekends.

If you can budget for both Park Hoppers and MaxPass, I would definitely go that route. I really liked not having to walk to each attraction to get FPs, but I also really like the flexibility that Park Hoppers provided. While we didn't hop a lot, even with kids (8 and 6 this time around), we did hop at least once or twice per day.

I would also tentatively lean towards going on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday. Mondays have been pretty busy of late. The weekend days are also busy, but park hours tend to be longer and there is more entertainment options.

Thank you both. One of the reasons we were skipping Sunday is that we were wanting to see some sights around LA and kind of recoup from the jet leg. I thought driving around LA might be easier on a Sunday over a workday. What will be the closest beach to visit the Pacific Ocean on our off day?

Hotels we are actually looking around the Knotts Berry area bc they were about $100/night cheaper and just paying the parking at Disneyland but maybe that’s not the best idea??

Thank you both. One of the reasons we were skipping Sunday is that we were wanting to see some sights around LA and kind of recoup from the jet leg. I thought driving around LA might be easier on a Sunday over a workday. What will be the closest beach to visit the Pacific Ocean on our off day?

Hotels we are actually looking around the Knotts Berry area bc they were about $100/night cheaper and just paying the parking at Disneyland but maybe that’s not the best idea??
Definitely not. You’ll have to leave so early, it’s chaotic. You can’t run back to your hotel for a quick break. One of the best things about Disneyland compared to wdw is the convenience of breaks and hotel location!

Last edited:
Definitely not. You’ll have to leave so early, it’s chaotic. You can’t run back to your hotel for a quick break. One of the best things aboru Disneyland compared to wdw is the convening if breaks and hotel location!

Ok good to know! I’m a country girl from Southeast Missouri. 7 miles is nothing for me, but I know LA traffic is a whole different ballgame!

LA traffic is insane. I'd definitely recommend a hotel on Harbor if you can swing it. What about trying something like Priceline Express as your dates get closer?

LA traffic is insane. I'd definitely recommend a hotel on Harbor if you can swing it. What about trying something like Priceline Express as your dates get closer?
Is that risky with kids? Or can you choose your beds? I looked to see if prices had gone down compared to when I booked months ago. Nope. I don’t think last minute in the Disneyland core on harbor is going to make a difference. You really just need to book those hotels months out. Hard when you make a last minute trip!

The best guessing at this point is that SW:GE will be opening sometime in mid-to-late-June, so it's hard to say whether that will impact the schedule in May (assuming there will be preview events, media events, hard ticket events, etc. happening prior to the official public opening).

Assuming no impacts due to SW:GE, Memorial Day weekend has been the start of the summer season in the past. You'll be there before that, so the parks should still be on the non-peak season schedule. This usually means F! and fireworks will only be presented on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. WoC and parades are typically presented daily. They have said there will be nightly projection show starting in January (no end date given), which will have fireworks added on the weekends.

If you can budget for both Park Hoppers and MaxPass, I would definitely go that route. I really liked not having to walk to each attraction to get FPs, but I also really like the flexibility that Park Hoppers provided. While we didn't hop a lot, even with kids (8 and 6 this time around), we did hop at least once or twice per day.

I would also tentatively lean towards going on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday. Mondays have been pretty busy of late. The weekend days are also busy, but park hours tend to be longer and there is more entertainment options.

I hoping we will avoid the StarWars craziness and am honestly assuming that’s why they are offering these discounted tickets to get more people in who might be delaying trips till after Star Wars. We aren’t Star Wars fans so it definitely working to our advantage!

Ok good to know! I’m a country girl from Southeast Missouri. 7 miles is nothing for me, but I know LA traffic is a whole different ballgame!
Personally I wouldn’t even drive into LA. Can you look at something on your arrival or departure day?

Is his company paying for the rental car? Normally we just uber.

We can pay the other, we are just the type of people that down mind a little inconvience for money savings. But I don’t want to be stuck in traffic either! I will do some more looking.

Is my plan to see the Pacific a no go if traffic is horrendous? Like we should book another night somewhere near the beach if we want to go?

No just regular family vacation, but we have to rent a car so that we can go to Yosemite.
I’d look into comparing costs of uber xl/lyft equivalent or lansky car service on arrival. Then renting a car from an Anaheim location your last day or off day until the end of yoru trip.

I’d spend your off day at the beach or doing something relaxing Monday instead of driving to LA.

Is that risky with kids? Or can you choose your beds? I looked to see if prices had gone down compared to when I booked months ago. Nope. I don’t think last minute in the Disneyland core on harbor is going to make a difference. You really just need to book those hotels months out. Hard when you make a last minute trip!

I've got a reservation booked at my favorite motel on Harbor for the last week of January for around $150 a night. I've been looking at Priceline Express and we could get a different hotel for around $75 a night through that tool, something like Portofino or Grand Legacy. So, it looks like a decent price savings but again it is a bit of a gamble, but, to me, that would be preferable to having to drive and use the parking garage! It's not necessarily something I'll do, but it's an option to keep in mind if saving $$ on the hotel is important.

Is my plan to see the Pacific a no go if traffic is horrendous? Like we should book another night somewhere near the beach if we want to go?

If you avoid rush hour and going towards LA, traffic is really not that bad.

If you just want to see the Pacific your best bet is Huntington Beach, it's not the most picturesque though, you'll have to head to Laguna area for that. To get to Huntington from Disneyland you can take Harbor Blvd. all the way to the ocean. If you stick with your original plan of staying by Knotts you can take Beach Blvd. The side streets may take a bit longer but you'll avoid the freeway traffic.

I've got a reservation booked at my favorite motel on Harbor for the last week of January for around $150 a night. I've been looking at Priceline Express and we could get a different hotel for around $75 a night through that tool, something like Portofino or Grand Legacy. So, it looks like a decent price savings but again it is a bit of a gamble, but, to me, that would be preferable to having to drive and use the parking garage! It's not necessarily something I'll do, but it's an option to keep in mind if saving $$ on the hotel is important.
That’s a big difference. Good deal!

I’m at BWPPI and I couldn’t find any deals on anything right across the street.

I'm going to echo PPs... I'd do Sunday at the parks instead of Monday (plus, getting to and parking at the beach will be way better on a Monday). I'd definitely stay within walking distance. The parking situation at Disney is kind of horrendous and very un-magical.

You are correct that you can just add Maxpass for the days you want it when you're there.

So thinking about recommendations of Sunday vs Monday...how bad is a late arrival on Sunday? Between jet lag and potentially staying at the parks till 11-midnight Saturday night, would a noon arrival at DCA be a waste of time? Even as little kids...they are night owls in the parks!

So you are driving from Anaheim to Yosemite but do you have a full day allocated for the drive? If you have allocated a full day of driving you could swing towards the coast and take Highway 1 up to San Luis Obispo and then cut inland to yosemite. Difference in drive time is about 1.5 hours but you'd get some beautiful coastline.

So thinking about recommendations of Sunday vs Monday...how bad is a late arrival on Sunday? Between jet lag and potentially staying at the parks till 11-midnight Saturday night, would a noon arrival at DCA be a waste of time? Even as little kids...they are night owls in the parks!
Won't the time change/jet lag work to your favor in terms of an early morning? Like, 10am for you would be 8am here?

The early morning hours are the absolute best hours of the day, and Sunday would be your only day to enter a non-MM Disneyland, so rope drop on Sunday would be your best time to hit Fantasyland.

If you're not going to get to the parks until noon, Sunday vs. Monday may not really matter...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter