May 7 to May 14 will it be crazy?

4doorj

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I have my vacation booked for may 7 to may 14. When I booked back in January all the value resorts where almost booked out. Got the last pop century room. If I booked the week after it looks like all the resorts are easy to book.
I just looked today at my dates and almost all resorts are booked including all the deluxe ones.
I've read its because of cheer competitions?
Will it be crazy busy there because of this?
If it is I can just prep myself. I was just curious.

Normally when I go to disneyland its in September. Last year was the first time it seemed really busy for September.

One thing to watch for is the cheerleaders tend to move around in giant groups, thus you don't want to be following one.

For example, if you are about to eat and see a giant group headed to the food court, it will take longer to get your food so you might want to consider eating somewhere else if in a hurry.

We have been there several times during cheerleader competition. They seem to have minimal impact on the parks. I would say the biggest impact is on the resort they're staying in, and as someone pointed out, the large groups. If I see a large group heading for Tomorrowland, I head for Adventureland.
That said, we went that week 2 years ago and it was one of the most pleasant weeks I've ever enjoyed at WDW. Love the Flower and Garden exhibits and the weather was perfect!

We have been there several times during cheerleader competition. They seem to have minimal impact on the parks. I would say the biggest impact is on the resort they're staying in, and as someone pointed out, the large groups. If I see a large group heading for Tomorrowland, I head for Adventureland.
That said, we went that week 2 years ago and it was one of the most pleasant weeks I've ever enjoyed at WDW. Love the Flower and Garden exhibits and the weather was perfect!

This. We've been the last three years, the first week of May and the cheerleaders are a non issue with the possible exception of people staying at Values. We stayed AoA last year and saw families who obviously were there for the competitions but no issues. We did see a lot of them in the parks on Sat, a couple of large groups together but not that many. It's no where near the busyness of other times of the year. Worry not.

We caught the tail end of Cheer Week a few years back - the parks weren't bad. If you do encounter a group, then are typically - enthusiastic - but not in an annoying way.

That week we did MK, DHS and EP EMH nights and they were practically empty. MK probably would have been busier but we had one of Florida’s notorious flash rains which cleared up but the park emptied out and it was wonderful! Still had fireworks and parades.

I've read its because of cheer competitions?
It is because of the D2 Summit Cheerleading competition and Pop Century is one of the "host" Resorts.

The Cheerleaders "bother" some Guests and other Guests(like us) not so much.

You will know by the end of your stay which group you are in!lol:)

Nope. Late April to mid May. Is thee best time to goto WDW. Very low crowds. It’s the only time we will go. Just can’t beat the hot weather with low humidity and low crowds.

We went this week a few years ago, and it affected us zero. We stayed Deluxe, so they were not at our resort. Honestly we never even saw them in the parks. They did perform in the WS at EPCOT one day, so I found out which day that was by looking on the organization’s website in advance. We avoided EPCOT that day. I would not worry about it, as it is really not a big impact (though I was worried about it before we went! Worry was not needed!!).

Yah I'm staying. I dont think I will mind staying there. We are only sleeping there. Only time we will spend lots of time is the first day when we arrive. We will go for dinner off site for my daughters birthday, grab food at walmart, then swim for the rest of the night at the resort pool.
And last day before going home go swimming. Other then that we will be at the parks.

I'd say it would be less crazy than most of the rest of the year, but it's gonna be busy.:earsboy:

That’s prime cheerleader time. What’s also crazy is I was looking at a one day trip the last week of this month for myself and hotel prices were INSANE!

The big cheer competition is the first weekend of May.

The competition on the second weekend (your weekend) is for D2 and is much smaller in scale. There should be no impact to the parks at all from that one.

The big cheer competition is the first weekend of May.

The competition on the second weekend (your weekend) is for D2 and is much smaller in scale. There should be no impact to the parks at all from that one.

That's good information. Is that usually the case or do the dates change year to year? Asking because we are going in 2020 from 5/6-5/15.

thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter