May crowds - should we switch?

MickeyWaffles

DIS Veteran
We were planning on visiting WDW May 26-31 to make up for the bulk of our Sept. trip that was lost to Irma.

Our May plans have now changed and it might be possible to push our trip sometime earlier in the month if we want.

Is there a reason anyone can think of for why we should keep the 26-31 over going earlier in the month? Moving it earlier is a no brainer to me based on park crowd calendars, but looking for input/validation before we commit to changing flights/accomodations.

Thanks!

Early May is a very slow time. Schools still in session, spring breaks are done. Also, the weather is beautiful AND it is NOT hurricane season. Bonus.

We went the first week of May before (like 8 yrs ago). Very low crowds back then. Weather was horrendously hot for us. Topped 100 several days. Every time we go they seem to set record temps though so that is not what the weather should be.

I agree with the previous posters. A lot of people go around Memorial Day weekend. We did it in 2015 when it was early and it was busier than our trip this year for the second/third week this year. But I do think attendance was down a bit this year.

Early May is a very slow time. Schools still in session, spring breaks are done. Also, the weather is beautiful AND it is NOT hurricane season. Bonus.

I realize beautiful is subjective, but we were there the 2nd week of May this year and it was in the mid-90s. The humidity was low, but it was still a little hot for my taste.

I realize beautiful is subjective, but we were there the 2nd week of May this year and it was in the mid-90s. The humidity was low, but it was still a little hot for my taste.

Meh, it's FL, hot is to be expected. We were there one May and it was really hot. but that was unusual. Unusual weather and FL go hand in hand.

July is humid. We just about died in July from the humidity.

Usually when we go in May it is beautiful.

Early May is a great time to go. We have been for the last two years. I just wanted to help set expectations though. It’s an average or moderate crowd time, not a very low crowd time. It’ll definitely be better than the holiday but it’s not going to be a ghost town.

Thanks everyone! We are going to switch it to a few weeks earlier :)

Just confirmed that we can change our flight dates with no penalty. So earlier in May it is! Wahoo!

We went early May last year, during the week crowds were low and picked up later in the week. Resorts were busy with cheerleaders, weather was typical summer (great for swimming/water rides, but not brutal other than mid-day). EPCOT was crowded on the weekend for Flower & Garden (aka baby Food & Wine) and the new fireworks increased MK crowds, but we never waited more than 30-45 minutes. Probably similar to what you would have for Irma week.

Growing up we used to go the week before or after Memorial Day and it was definitely busier than early May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter