May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 33: The Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour - Magic Kingdom

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Part 33: The Walt Disney World Thrill Ride Tour – Magic Kingdom: The Fast Pass Plan

May 30, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

This was my Fast Pass plan. I decided to grab some lunch. By the time I was finished, my Fast Pass window would be close to opening. At 12:36 pm or later, I would get a Fast Pass for Splash Mountain. This was legal to do because as soon as your window for a Fast Pass opens, you can pick up another one. The machine will accept your ticket and not spit out a polite “You already have another Fast Pass” message.

I didn’t want to stray too far for lunch, so I decided to find a close place. The first restaurant I encountered was Peco’s Bill. I went in there. The restaurant was packed, but I figured by the time I got through the line and finished lunch, I would be able to pick up a Splash Mountain Fast Pass. The line was pretty long and I think several school groups were ahead of me. I knew that they were school groups since most of them were handing the cashier food vouchers. The line gave me time to think about what to eat.

I was about to get the ¼ pound burger, but the ½ pound burger seemed like a better deal. For about 50 cents extra, I get an extra slab of meat. I ordered that. As I waited in line, I kept on hearing the sound of someone cooking something on a grill. The kitchen was in front of me, so where is the sound coming from? As I headed to the fixing’s bar, I noticed a Cast Member frying up mushrooms. This must be a good fixing’s bar if they grill mushrooms! I loved the selection on the fixing’s bar. I loved it so much that I piled too much stuff on my burger. Half of the fixing’s fell out as I ate! I did have a nice salad to eat afterwards, though.

I was around 12:40 when I finished lunch, so I went to Splash Mountain for a Fast Pass. The standby wait was 70 minutes, so I got a Fast Pass and my return time was 1:40 to 2:40. I took the train back to Mickey’s Toontown Fair to use my Space Mountain Fast Pass.

I headed to Space Mountain and entered the Fast Pass line. I was on the train in a few minutes. I rode in the back seat. The ride was fun and didn’t seem as rough as I recall. I also remember that I felt like I was going to be thrown out in previous rides. This time, I felt pretty secure. I had some time before my Splash Mountain Fast Pass window would open, so I decided to ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Even though it was not a thrill ride, I still kept on course. Besides, this was a chance to see Space Mountain in the dark and try to videotape it. The video didn’t come out very well. I could barely see the trains go by.

I headed on the train back to Frontierland for my Splash Mountain Fast Pass. The wait was 70 minutes. I was so happy that I could pass all the people in the standby line. I was happy until I stepped into something squishy in the Fast Pass line. At first, I thought it was hurl, but it didn’t have the hurl smell. It must have been a lemon slushy or something. Still, I felt kind of disgusted. I’m just glad I was wearing my sneakers. I think my sneakers have been through everything – mud, rainwater, you name it! I’ve never stepped in dog poop, though. I need to wash them one of these days.

I rode in the back of the log. I rode Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls at Islands of Adventure a few days ago and I couldn’t help but think how similar the two ride layouts are. The two teaser drops are very similar. The final drop sets the two rides apart. Ripsaw Falls takes you over a bunny hop. Splash Mountain drops you straight down. On Splash Mountain, I barely got wet! I can never say that on Ripsaw Falls.

It was around 2:10 pm. I had rode the thrill rides at the Magic Kingdom, so now it was time to go to Animal Kingdom. I took the monorail back to the Ticket and Transportation Center. Then I took the bus to Animal Kingdom.

As I rode the bus, I thought about revising the thrill ride tour. Even though the roller coaster tour yesterday was a bust, I did learn that Magic Kingdom crowds were low during the first operating hour. It would be nice for the groups to ride Test Track together, but it may also be good to do the Magic Kingdom first to avoid the huge crowds.

Okay, okay, where's 34?!?!?!?! Huh.huh, where's 34?!?!?!?!
I want to know how long Kali RR took!

Thanks for this and the hotel info, Barry. See you at DIS Con!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter