May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 41: Cedar Point -- Something Must Always Get in the Way

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
June 1, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I woke up at around 6:00 pm. I didn’t expect to sleep so long! I was kind of groggly and I pulled myself out of bed. I was still kind of groggy as I entered the park. I was still groggy as I entered the line for Gemini.

I wanted to ride Gemini now since the both sides were running. I took the blue side. The ride woke me up! I didn’t zonk anyone in the head because no one was sitting beside me. I didn’t notice much difference between the two sides. The red train would always win since it went over first!

The wait for the Corkscrew was 5 minutes. In line, I met a woman who noticed my Florida Coaster Club shirt. She asked me why I ride roller coasters. It’s because I’m crazy! She even wanted to ride beside the coaster nut! She asked me which coaster I liked the best and I said Raptor because it was so smooth. That was her favorite too! She was kind of cute, but she was married too! Something must always get in the way…

The Corkscrew reminded me of the Python at Busch Gardens Tampa. I really don’t like the Python. The restraints tend to be too tight on me and it ends up being a painful ride. I had flashbacks to Python on the Corkscrew, which is one reason why I didn’t like the ride. The ride was kind of painful too, but nothing like the Python or even Mean Streak!

Next up was Iron Dragon. The wait was about 5 minutes on this one too. I had never been on a suspended roller coaster before. It wasn’t too thrilling. I think it suffers from the Big Bad Wolf problem at Busch Gardens Williamsburg: multiple lift hills. That breaks up the ride too much. The lift hills give you a chance to breathe. Coasters should grab hold of you when you drop off the lift hill and never let go until you hit the breaks. The Hulk Coaster at Islands of Adventure is such a beast. Big Bad Wolf does have the neat “almost swinging into the buildings” effect.

I then went back to my favorite coaster, Raptor. As I was passing Blue Streak, I noticed the woman from the Corkscrew and she remembered me! She had some kids in tow. Another thing gets in the way…

I went into the Raptor line and the wait was about 30 minutes. I decided to do the ride and then go eat dinner. While in line, a young man noticed my Coastermania button and asked what it was. His girlfriend talked a little about Cedar Point. Something must always be in the way… She comes several times a year. She said that the best time to come is in early May, where virtually everything is a walk-on. That means I can ride Raptor all day? Yes! It’s a dream come true!

While I waited, a train got stuck on the lift hill. After about 10 minutes, the train started up again. I as I made my way through the line and close to the loading station, the ride closed down. I’m not sure why, but I bet the train that was stuck on the lift hill had something to do with it.

We all left the line and I headed to dinner. I ate the buffet at the Midway Market. It was about $10. As I walked around the park all day, I kept track of the food prices. It seems that a meal and a drink averaged around $8. I figured I would pay a few dollars more and have more food to eat. I used my Breakers charge privileges and charged the meal to my room. It seemed like a hassle. I didn’t use my room key for this. I had a piece of paper with my name and dates of stay on it. When I flashed the piece of paper, the cashier had to call the Breakers and tell them about the charge. I noticed that at other theme parks, your room key could be used like a credit card. They swipe it and go. As the cashier took care of this, the line got long. I’m glad that I didn’t get any evil stares.

The buffet was pretty good. There was fried chicken, pizza, pasta, salad, and burgers. By this time in my trip, I was getting sick of eating burgers. I filled up on everything else but burgers. I didn’t go overboard since I had ERT on Magnum and Millennium Force later in the night.

After eating, I made my way to Magnum. As I passed by Blue Streak, three teenagers stopped me for a picture. I wasn’t going to take their picture, but they were going to take mine. I had to wear a big, stuffed snake as they posed with me. I chalked this up as the weird moment of the day. I hoped that this was not a ploy to steal my wallet! My money was safe after the Kodak moment. At the very least, they got a picture of the tallest Asian in America! The girls looked too young for me. Something must always get in the way…

As I passed by the Matterhorn, an ACE member was smoking a cigar and asked me how many coasters were in Florida now. I think there are about 12, or maybe 20. He said that when he came down to Florida for the first time, there were none! We talked about the different coasters in Florida and then he went on his way. He seemed as old as my dad. Something must always get in the way…

As I walked to Magnum, some people behind me noticed my shirt and said, “Too bad that we could not have better weather for you.” I told him what the temperature was when I walked on the plane in Tampa and he was almost floored! I am not used to cold weather in May. Cold weather in Florida usually ends by April at the latest. I was missing Florida again. After experiencing cold weather in Ohio, I promised to myself that I will never complain about the oppressive Florida summers again.

I sat on a bench to wait for the Magnum ERT. I watched as the line built up and stretched really far back. An elderly woman sat next to me. She noticed my button and asked me if I was waiting for ERT on Magnum. Of course I was! She told me the correct time for the ERT on Millennium Force. I thought it was later than she said. Oh well… She was waiting for her husband to come back from Magnum. Something must always get in the way…

As I watched the line build, I wondered if I should ride Millennium Force first. The line may be shorter. The Magnum line looked like at least a 30-minute wait. I got up and headed to Millennium Force.

This was going to be my second chance for Millennium Force.

The only really good Arrow suspended is the one at Busch Gardens in Virginia. Draggin' Iron and the one at Magic Mountain(Ninja)both bite pretty badly. The one at Busch is great because of the buildings and it actually goes over 10 mph.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter