WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
June 3, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)
Sherrie (aka Disney Nut 50) and her 3 DS
Marla Hellwig (aka, um, Marla Hellwig)
Kara (Marla’s DD)

I headed out to the Columbus Zoo. I used the directions I got off Mapquest.com. I think that I arrived too early since no one was manning the ticket booth. I saved myself $3! I found a bench to sit on as I waited for the others. Soon, Sherrie, Marla, and their kids came and found me. Sherrie pointed out Wyanaot Lake next door and the roller coaster, which lasts about 70 seconds. Maybe it wasn’t worth an $18 admission to ride it.

We entered the zoo and Sherrie said that we should check out the aquarium first. It was a place to warm up. The temperature that morning was around 60 degrees, so I was ready for a warm-up! As we walked around, Sherrie was telling us where the original entrance and parking lot was. I hope that she did not have to walk 10 miles up the hill to get to the zoo before!

We walked through the aquarium and reef areas. Like I said in a previous part, I love aquariums. I can watch fish swim back and forth all day if I wanted to. I think I could have stayed in this part for a long time, but the rest of the group wanted to go to other parts.

The most striking part of the zoo was the manatee exhibit. I didn’t expect manatees this far north. The exhibit taught about the manatees well, but it wasn’t as good as the manatee exhibit at Sea World. In fact, I don’t think I’ve seen a better manatee exhibit than the one at Sea World.

We walked around and observed the other inhabitants of the zoo: kangaroos, koalas, tortoises, and penguins. Surprisingly, Marla and Sherrie stayed out of the reptile exhibit while I took the kids in. Finally, we ended at the gorilla exhibit. We found one that kind of resembled WillyJ! After observing the gorillas, Sherrie and her DS’s had to leave for a graduation. One of her DS’s looked like he wanted to stay at the zoo rather than sit through a graduation ceremony!

I was left with Marla and Kara. We stopped for lunch. The Congo River Market had a variety of fast food places. I tried to avoid the burgers. I had a cheese steak instead. After lunch, we headed to the other side of the zoo. This side had giraffes, elephants, eagles, bears, wolves, moose, and rhinos. We didn’t see any emus! Kara seemed to have to most energy out of all of us. She was hopping and running while Marla and I were struggling to keep up! We nicknamed her “the lemur.”

After our day at the zoo, we stopped by the gift shop. Kara got a stuffed lemur! I bought some postcards. We said our goodbyes and she headed home.

I wanted to go back to COSI so I could check the boards at the Internet terminal. I get in free anyway, so why not?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter