May/June 2001 Trip -- Part 47: Rhino Rally at BGT: This Time We're Going Left!

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Part 47: Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens: This Time We’re Going Left!

June 4, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 29-year old)

I woke up at 5:00 am for my flight home. I headed out to the airport around 5:30. My flight itinerary said it would leave at 6:00, but the boards at the airline counter said 6:45. Oh well, it’s better to be early than late!

The flight to Detroit was pretty uneventful. It was pretty full, so there was no drink and food service this time. I switched planes in Detroit and my connecting flight was at the other end of the terminal again. I decided to not fly through Detroit if I could get around it. The walk isn’t bad if you have an hour layover, but if a plane isn’t on time and you have to run through the airport, look out! As we landed in Detroit, one of the attendants told the people from Detroit and Columbus that the bright thing in the sky was the sun. We hadn’t seen it in days!

The flight to Tampa was pretty uneventful too. As I entered the plane, the person in front of me said it would be warmer once we got on the plane. I said it would be warmer once we got into Tampa! The flight to Tampa was pretty packed too.

As I flew home, I wondered if I should stop by Busch Gardens again and give Rhino Rally a second chance. I had given Millennium Force a second chance and I loved it. I had done the same with Test Track. I am not a huge Test Track fan, but I enjoyed it more on the second ride. I had a Busch Gardens annual pass, so the admission price wasn’t a factor. I had some time, so I decided to head to Busch Gardens after we landed.

After landing, I got my luggage and my car. I didn’t use the monorails this time since it seemed like it was easier to walk. I headed out and to Busch Gardens.

I arrived at Busch Gardens and headed into the park. Rhino Rally had a 75-minute wait. I thought, “It’s now or never” and I got in line. As I got in line, I remembered my last ride and it seemed like a long time ago. I had ridden it 10 days ago, but it felt like it was three weeks. In fact, my visits to Universal, Disney, and even Cedar Point seemed so long ago. It felt like I hadn’t been to those places in weeks either!

The wait felt much longer than 75 minutes because the line moved so slowly. It felt like I moved a yard every 5-10 minutes! When I finally got to the loading bay, the attendant was asking for volunteers to be a guide. No one stepped forward. She then asked for single riders and I raised my hand. She chose me to be the guide! I didn’t expect to be chosen, but this time, I can now make sure that we go left this time!

Before we could board, the ride broke down. A few employees ran over an embankment to the other side. After a few minutes, the attendant said that a car got stuck on the water part. She asked if anyone wanted water. I asked her to fill my Pepsi bottle with water. She was giving us water to make us happy. She would try to do anything for us to make us happy. Some people behind me said that something else she could do would make them happy, none of which can be repeated here.

The wait was growing from a 75-minute wait to around 105 minute wait. A recorded “The ride has broken down” message kept on repeating over and over again, which almost caused some people to go insane. The message was the same voice that says the tram instructions at the entrance and most of the other messages around the park. I wondered who he was and how much he gets paid to say these things.

A guest asked how much longer it would be when a supervisor announced that the ride was re-opening. Many people cheered. I finally boarded and got into my guide seat. The driver was Leadfoot Dan. My job was to follow the green signs so that we could stay on path. I had a good time with the driver. One time he asked how deep I thought the water was and I said 50 feet!

When we got to the part where we had to go right or left, I said, “Left” and pointed in that direction. I wanted to make sure that we went left! We headed into the water part and it was pretty fun. It didn’t look like much from the air, but the driver’s response to what was happening made the difference. I got some ribbing from the driver and he asked what I learned in guide school. I told him I fell asleep!

We got to a point where we could drive on land and I told him to go for it. We arrived at the finish and I was the hero! The driver even chanted my name!

I must say that this experience was much better than my previous Rhino Rally experience, although I still had the bitter taste of it. I don’t think I can ever shake off that taste, but this ride certainly countered the bitterness a little.

I exited the park and stopped by the McDonald’s across the street. This must be the world’s slowest McDonald’s. It took about 20 minutes to get my food when about three people were ahead of me. I had a burger, even though I was tired of eating them. I was hungry, so I didn’t really care.

I then headed home and my vacation ended.

Thanks for ALL those great trip reports! I enjoyed each and every one:) That was some trip Barry! Thanks for sharing! I am sad to see them end however, it was a highlight to read a new one everyday. Sooooo when is the next trip?:D
Thanks again you're a terrific trip report reporter!:p

I agree with Jessica. Your reports were terrific. I bet you took a good, long nap when you got home! :D Hopefully, nothing will "get in the way" during your next adventure!:rolleyes:

Ive finally been able to read all your reports and really enjoyed them. Im glad you had a good time. Is it hard to be by yourself and have a good time?? Again very good trip reports.

I don't find it hard to have a good time while solo at the parks. Sometimes I have a better time. You don't have to hear people saying that they don't want to ride this ride and that ride. You can go wherever you want, whenever you want! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter