May W.I.S.H. Goals-A Little Bit of Mayhem

sjrec

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the May WISH thread! For anyone new, the letters stand for We Are Inspired to Stay Healthy. Looking forward to “chatting “ with everyone.

We’ll use the following guidelines, but please feel free to post whatever is on your mind or if you have something you’d like to share. We’re a pretty laid back group!

Motivation Monday
Topic Tuesday
Woohoo Wednesday
Thankful Thursday
Foodie Friday

Let’s start by introducing or re-introducing ourselves.

I’m Sandy (sjrec) from south central PA. I’m in my third year of retirement (from our local HS library). I’m married 39 (!) years, have a wonderful daughter, son in law and the great joy of my life, an 8yr old grandson-a big motivator to staying healthy and active.
I’m currently at a healthy weight for me, but it’s easy to slip into bad habits, so being part of this thread is so helpful to me.

My goals for this month are to maintain my weight and get out and walk at least six days out of
seven.

8422D389-52A0-4DEC-B39B-0250CC8834B6.jpeg
Woohoo Wednesday!!!

I like that we’re starting off the month with positivity!

My woohoo is I just bought a pair of navy ankle pants with tiny white dots-something I never would have considered last spring when I weighed 20 plus pounds more than I do now. And it was 72 and sunny today, so walking was a pleasure. I also tried a new recipe tonight and my husband loved it-so I’m just full of woohoos today!

Okay, everyone, your turn!

Hi all,

I'm Sam from Australia, solo mum to 3 teenagers (2 of which are twins), work full-time as an OT. Slim when I was younger without trying meant I developed no good habits - then life caught up with me and now in my mid 40s need to lose the excess weight to improve my health - cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure etc. Started on Keto in January, had some good weight loss -but seemed to have stalled over the last 6 weeks so May is my month to hit it on track again and drop some more weight and blood test results!

Thanks for hosting us this month @sjrec :-)

My woohoo is I just bought a pair of navy ankle pants with tiny white dots-something I never would have considered last spring when I weighed 20 plus pounds more than I do now. And it was 72 and sunny today, so walking was a pleasure. I also tried a new recipe tonight and my husband loved it-so I’m just full of woohoos today!

They are some great woohoos!

My Woohoo Wednesday is that I am walking this afternoon with my friend - and it is NOT RAINING - ssshhhh don't tell anyone or it might pour down on me while I walk. I dashed into the supermarket unplanned this afternoon but hooray - I bought food that will keep me on my Keto track tonight. That means I am getting better at knowing things I can throw together with ease - rather than following a recipe all the time - but I do love all the new recipes we have been trying.

I'm Nicole, a 48-year-old mom and occasional substitute teacher from Massachusetts. I live with my DH (who is also trying to lose some weight) and my senior-in-high-school DS (how did that go so fast?!)

My goals this month are to drink water, keep fruits and veggies stocked up and easily accessible, and actually use some of those recipe books I have!

I'm Cristin from PA. I'm a kindergarten teacher. I live with my husband, boy/girl twin 14-yr-olds, and a black lab. I grew up in central PA, but got a teaching job in southeastern PA. And my siblings seemed to follow me here. So this past August, my parents move as well. It was hard saying good-bye to my childhood home. But it's so nice having all of my family close by. They are a great motivator for me. Especially my newest nephew who was born in November. I have about 5 more pounds to lose to meet my goal, but I am also very happy with where I am.

My goals for May are to continue:
daily workouts
maintain my 12,000 steps per day (at least 5 out of 7 days)
meal planning, including one new recipe or food item per week
PLUS...I think I need to go back to logging my food each day. I use MyFitnessPal app on my phone and it keeps me accountable. April distracted me a little with all the Easter treats ;)

My Woohoo is that I lost 4 pounds in April! Yesterday was sunny and warm in the afternoon and I enjoyed sitting in the sun with my family to watch my son play baseball! And only 80 days until my Disney trip!!!

Hi all,

I'm Sam from Australia, solo mum to 3 teenagers (2 of which are twins), work full-time as an OT. Slim when I was younger without trying meant I developed no good habits - then life caught up with me and now in my mid 40s need to lose the excess weight to improve my health - cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure etc. Started on Keto in January, had some good weight loss -but seemed to have stalled over the last 6 weeks so May is my month to hit it on track again and drop some more weight and blood test results!

Thanks for hosting us this month @sjrec :-)

They are some great woohoos!

My Woohoo Wednesday is that I am walking this afternoon with my friend - and it is NOT RAINING - ssshhhh don't tell anyone or it might pour down on me while I walk. I dashed into the supermarket unplanned this afternoon but hooray - I bought food that will keep me on my Keto track tonight. That means I am getting better at knowing things I can throw together with ease - rather than following a recipe all the time - but I do love all the new recipes we have been trying.
You’ve got this, Sam! I used to tell myself one of the plusses of having more than a few pounds to lose was that it allows you time to really change your habits. Then when you reach goal you are used to doing what it took to get you there.

I'm Nicole, a 48-year-old mom and occasional substitute teacher from Massachusetts. I live with my DH (who is also trying to lose some weight) and my senior-in-high-school DS (how did that go so fast?!)

My goals this month are to drink water, keep fruits and veggies stocked up and easily accessible, and actually use some of those recipe books I have!
New recipes are a great goal-I am going to add this to mine!

I'm Cristin from PA. I'm a kindergarten teacher. I live with my husband, boy/girl twin 14-yr-olds, and a black lab. I grew up in central PA, but got a teaching job in southeastern PA. And my siblings seemed to follow me here. So this past August, my parents move as well. It was hard saying good-bye to my childhood home. But it's so nice having all of my family close by. They are a great motivator for me. Especially my newest nephew who was born in November. I have about 5 more pounds to lose to meet my goal, but I am also very happy with where I am.

My goals for May are to continue:
daily workouts
maintain my 12,000 steps per day (at least 5 out of 7 days)
meal planning, including one new recipe or food item per week
PLUS...I think I need to go back to logging my food each day. I use MyFitnessPal app on my phone and it keeps me accountable. April distracted me a little with all the Easter treats ;)

My Woohoo is that I lost 4 pounds in April! Yesterday was sunny and warm in the afternoon and I enjoyed sitting in the sun with my family to watch my son play baseball! And only 80 days until my Disney trip!!!
Yes, wasn’t it beautiful yesterday?
And I am in awe of your step totals! You are in great condition for your Disney trip!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Lizanne, a single gal living in beautiful Seattle, with my two kitties.

upload_2019-5-1_7-22-31.png

I've been over weight most of my life, going back to around age three actually, when there was a bit of childhood trauma... at some point I hope to properly sort that out. So far 2019 has been an accelerated personal growth year, but I haven't made much progress in improving healthful living, so need to get going. My motivation this month is getting in shape for my June trip to WDW.

May goals are:
930 minutes of exercise
Drink lots of water
Improve nutritional choices

WOOHOO...

I got my fancy drinking glasses yesterday and having them sitting on the counter worked, I drank water right before bed last night and again this morning.

Practically no one will be in the office today, due to the May Day marches/protests, so it should be a nice quiet day (I came in because they really haven't been a big deal the past few years.) Dang, my Boss just showed up.

I've been searching for replacement cosmetic treatment products, since the line I was using eliminated the products I liked the best, and I think I've finally found new stuff I love... not so woohoo-y is that it's actually more expensive than what I was using, but if it works it works.

PS: I think I'll DisneyBound as The Queen of Hearts... easy peasy, a little crown, red and black outfit and a heart some where.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Lizanne, a single gal living in beautiful Seattle, with my two kitties.

View attachment 398319

I've been over weight most of my life, going back to around age three actually, when there was a bit of childhood trauma... at some point I hope to properly sort that out. So far 2019 has been an accelerated personal growth year, but I haven't made much progress in improving healthful living, so need to get going. My motivation this month is getting in shape for my June trip to WDW.

May goals are:
930 minutes of exercise
Drink lots of water
Improve nutritional choices

WOOHOO...

I got my fancy drinking glasses yesterday and having them sitting on the counter worked, I drank water right before bed last night and again this morning.

Practically no one will be in the office today, due to the May Day marches/protests, so it should be a nice quiet day (I came in because they really haven't been a big deal the past few years.) Dang, my Boss just showed up.

I've been searching for replacement cosmetic treatment products, since the line I was using eliminated the products I liked the best, and I think I've finally found new stuff I love... not so woohoo-y is that it's actually more expensive than what I was using, but if it works it works.
The cats are adorable!
Yay for finding new cosmetics. I should put that on my to do list as well.

Hi everyone! I am Magdalene from Germany, trying once again to join a month and keep actually active. I did not manage that last month, but I did manage to keep up my healthy eating and moving and actually lost a few pounds. I also kept reading, but posted far too little. So, new month gives me a new chance to start fresh!

I am in my late 40s and I am feeling that losing weight has become so much more difficult than it was 10 years ago. But I also find it more and more difficult to stay focused. I do have a big event coming up for which I want to look as good as possible. My husband is American and we got married in Germany in 2017. This fall the "American Wedding" will follow (technical a vow renewal) and I definitely want to lose weight before then.

I did start some strength training in March and I know that it is really good for me. Unfortunately I was pretty sick last week and haven't been back at the gym, so I am not sure how much of my effort has been lost...

My goal this months is to do the strength training twice a week and also restart running again now that the days are longer and the weather is perfect for running, so that would be another two days a week. Foodwise my goal is it to start eating more protein and less carbs (especially empty carbs). My husband and I did well last month with that, but he is away this month, so I will see how I do get on on my own. Pasta is my easy go to food after work... I am also tired of chicken breasts and need to find other sources of protein. I actually really like tofu when I get it in a restaurant, so I just need to experiment more with it at home to make it tasty! So, my goal will be to have three high protein and low carb days a week and on of those days needs to be with a protein source that is not chicken or cottage cheese!

And as for Wednesday woohoo: I am down 4.6 pounds since April 1st! And today is a public holiday in Germany, so I did not have to work. Instead I used the day to be really productive at home and had lunch with my father and some family friends. Great day!

Hi everyone! I am Magdalene from Germany, trying once again to join a month and keep actually active. I did not manage that last month, but I did manage to keep up my healthy eating and moving and actually lost a few pounds. I also kept reading, but posted far too little. So, new month gives me a new chance to start fresh!

I am in my late 40s and I am feeling that losing weight has become so much more difficult than it was 10 years ago. But I also find it more and more difficult to stay focused. I do have a big event coming up for which I want to look as good as possible. My husband is American and we got married in Germany in 2017. This fall the "American Wedding" will follow (technical a vow renewal) and I definitely want to lose weight before then.

I did start some strength training in March and I know that it is really good for me. Unfortunately I was pretty sick last week and haven't been back at the gym, so I am not sure how much of my effort has been lost...

My goal this months is to do the strength training twice a week and also restart running again now that the days are longer and the weather is perfect for running, so that would be another two days a week. Foodwise my goal is it to start eating more protein and less carbs (especially empty carbs). My husband and I did well last month with that, but he is away this month, so I will see how I do get on on my own. Pasta is my easy go to food after work... I am also tired of chicken breasts and need to find other sources of protein. I actually really like tofu when I get it in a restaurant, so I just need to experiment more with it at home to make it tasty! So, my goal will be to have three high protein and low carb days a week and on of those days needs to be with a protein source that is not chicken or cottage cheese!

And as for Wednesday woohoo: I am down 4.6 pounds since April 1st! And today is a public holiday in Germany, so I did not have to work. Instead I used the day to be really productive at home and had lunch with my father and some family friends. Great day!

Welcome back! :welcome:

I think losing almost 5lbs in a month is awesome!

I think we all get in that chicken routine with dinner-sometimes I just stand in front of the meat counter and think “what the heck am I going to get?” Maybe we can devote one of our Foodie Fridays for everyone to share an idea.

779DB277-9343-419D-BF9B-DE83A98CCB6E.jpeg

Thankful Thursday!

I need to be more mindful of this-I recently had a bad reaction to the second vaccination of my shingles shot. I was miserable and complaining for about 24 hours, but I now have a 98% chance of being protected from a horrible virus, my insurance paid for it and I could just go to bed til I felt better-I didn’t have small children to take care of or have to go to work.

Can you find a silver lining in what looks to be a not so great situation?

I'm Linda from the Pacific Northwest. Just trying to eat healthier.

I think I'll just plod along at my usual goals: track all food, get my steps in, continue trying to be mindful of standing up straight, lifting weights

Wahoo: does it count as "healthy" that it was payday and a long, rough day at work so we bought pizza from our favorite we only do this a couple times a year restaurant? I think it was maybe only healthy for my mind! But that's important!! I'm going to consider it a wahoo for self-care! :rolleyes1

In other wahoo news my brother said we can stay at his place when we visit him before Mickey this summer! Wahoo to free lodging!

:thumbsup2

PS: I think I'll DisneyBound as The Queen of Hearts... easy peasy, a little crown, red and black outfit and a heart some where.

That is a great simple costume that will look great.

And as for Wednesday woohoo: I am down 4.6 pounds since April 1st!

That is awesome, well done :cheer2:

Can you find a silver lining in what looks to be a not so great situation?

Great quote - I have had to do this recently as you all know. Current silver lining - poorer health = chance to drop some dress sizes :upsidedow

I'm going to consider it a wahoo for self-care! :rolleyes1

Self-care mentally is hugely important - hope you enjoyed that pizza guilt free :thumbsup2

Thankful Thursday: I am thankful that I found the will power to throw together omelettes for dinner - I was very tempted to just grab McDonalds when I was going to pick DS18 from his shift there!

Thankful Thursday - Following the post about being grateful for what’s still right: My DS was in a small accident over the weekend - but nobody was hurt, and there isn’t even a dent, just a “smudge”. I’m very grateful it wasn’t more serious!

Thankful Thursday... boy did I need this reminder.

It's been an incredibly stressful week at work, with constant interruptions, repeatedly being pinged for stuff not related to anything I'm actually working on, communication swirl, if you can name it it's been happening. Plus my immediate boss is leaving and the chaos that gap will cause is already starting, and for some reason I've been having anger flashes all week. I need to keep asking myself, "what's going right" "what are the opportunities here". My boss was the best I've had, but he still had his "stuff"... maybe what happens next will be even better.

I'm also thankful for my cats... Mike was on duty to come get me up this morning, he kept giving me head bops and kisses until I rallied. And Whitehall supervised me while I was in the shower and made sure I got out the door. Don't know what mornings would be like without them.

I'm Linda from the Pacific Northwest. Just trying to eat healthier.

I think I'll just plod along at my usual goals: track all food, get my steps in, continue trying to be mindful of standing up straight, lifting weights

Wahoo: does it count as "healthy" that it was payday and a long, rough day at work so we bought pizza from our favorite we only do this a couple times a year restaurant? I think it was maybe only healthy for my mind! But that's important!! I'm going to consider it a wahoo for self-care! :rolleyes1

In other wahoo news my brother said we can stay at his place when we visit him before Mickey this summer! Wahoo to free lodging![/QUOTE
Welcome back, Linda! party:
Pizza is our fallback, I’m tired, it’s late, I’m not cooking tonight choice! And doesn’t it taste better when you have it occasionally instead of every week?

5E0E7EA4-8C0D-40C5-9489-0490A2C5BC93.jpeg

Foodie Friday!

TGIF! Even retired people enjoy their Fridays!

I’m going to throw a virtual cocktail party and everyone’s invited. If you would like to bring something to share, please do!

I’m making my crab dip-since we live near the Eastern Shore, crab is very popular here.
Here is my version-I have lightened it up a little, but I think it’s still pretty good:

2 cans lump crab (for crab dip, the cans where the tuna are located are fine)
2 T light cream cheese
1/4 cup light sour cream
1 T grated onion
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup cheddar cheese

Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, onion and lemon juice. Gently fold in the crab meat. Put in an oven proof dish, sprinkle cheese over all and warm in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve with toasted baguette slices.
Enjoy!

Thankful Thursday: I'm thankful I have a job where I am not micro-managed and get to do what I want on the schedule I want to do it in--as long as I meet deadlines! For some reason staff has been really appreciative this week. Kinda weird, but nice. Next week is teacher appreciation so maybe they're all taking the time to be thankful of what a great team we have. I know I'm thankful that next week our parent club is buying everyone Starbucks Monday morning and bringing in an ice cream food truck Friday afternoon. I do so love them!!! :grouphug: I'm also thankful for my fitness pal. Without it I wouldn't have realized I was 20 calories over for the day. Therefore I would not have gone out to do a little weeding!

Virtual cocktail: I usually bring Brie that I've slice in half (thank you dental floss!) and put soaked in apple juice apples, pears and other stuff I can't remember right now in the middle and on top and then bake. So gooey delicious. And the fruits make it healthy, right?! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!