• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mayan Horseback Riding Mini-Report

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
I'll post full details in my full report, but I wanted to give a mini-report on the Mayan Horseback Riding excursion in Cozumel while it's still fresh in my mind. We booked via Disney...it leaves at 11:15 from Offbeat, although it was running late due to another ship docking. You walk down the pier to a bus that transports you to Buena Vista Stables (what a great Disney-esque name), which is about a 30 minute drive. You are given a quick explanation of riding and then horses and riders are paired up. You pass by ruins...some of them genuine and some of them re-creations. I thought it was going to be all walking, as that is how Disney lists it, but we were allowed to canter too. At first I was worried...although I've been riding for 25+ years, I've owned the same cruise-control horse for so long that I am nervous on other horses. But my mount was so controllable that I soon found myself cantering down the trail, whooping and hollering! I don't know if they always let you run or if it's based on the make-up of our group...we didn'd have any younger kids, and almost everyone had some riding experience. It was very safe and controlled, with two guides keeping an eye on everyone and very well-trained horses. When you get back, you get soda or beer, and then one of the guys brings out two trick horses. It was so neat...they did the Spanish walk and he did tricks like standing on one's back and jumping through his lariat! Then the horse laid down and played "dead" so everyone could sit on it and get photos. None of this is given in the Disney description, but it was great! If you do it, bring cash for tips to your guide, the bar, and the trick horse. They also sell t-shirts (various prices) and photos that they take of you on the horse ($10), as well as hand-painted plates that they will customize with your name and the date. I dearly loved the jeep tour and was a little sad we didn't do it, but I must say that once we did the riding, I didn't regret my decision at all. It was incredible! Just beware...it may be running late. I think we got back an hour after the latest stated time. I learned on our last cruise, so I allowed plenty of time.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Boy, that sounds really great. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Barb! Sounds good to me! Guess I'll have to book that one for my Oct. western. :p

Thanks for sharing Barb! My DD is insisting on riding in Cozumel. She's willing to skip it in Grand Cayman for the sake of the Stingray City excursion. So that means I go along.

I've also had some online conversation with Sherrie who books excursions separately. That price is about half and it sounded like a pretty good tour. Glad to hear about the additional parts of the DCL excusion. Looking forward to the full report.

Deb

Originally posted by FantasticDisFamily
I've also had some online conversation with Sherrie who books excursions separately. That price is about half and it sounded like a pretty good tour.
The one reason I would pay the extra expense and book this excursion through DCL is that if, for any reason, there were delays and I did not get back to the ship in time, they would not be likely to depart without me. Booking with DCL is a "CYA" advantage. :p

Wow, now I have a tough choice!:) We really really loved the Jeep tour in December when we went and would be hard pressed to top it. BUT, I would love to horseback as long as it isn't the mopey walking "tours" that you usually get, and from the sounds of it..this isn't!
BTW, we were an hour and half late getting back from the Jeep tour.

Lisa

I will be interested to see if others were given the opportunity to canter too. Since Disney specifies that it is all walking (which they repeated before we left), I am wondering if it depends on the make-up of the group. I am nervous about cantering on unfamiliar horses, but these were so well-trained that I was totally comfortable. A lot of people seemed to be trotting rather than cantering...if you didn't know the difference, the horses weren't going to "tell" you!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Hi Taswira,

That is one of the reasons I've never even considered booking any excursion other than through DCL. Was exploring the options. Having read Barb's post their riding excursion sounds pretty good and am leaning back in that direction.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter