Maytag or Samsung washer? Front or Top

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
I have been planning to go back to Maytag for years. Now the stores do not carry many. REpair store guy said all brands are a lot alike on the inside. Debating whether to get a Maytag or the Samsung that has a place to handwash on top.
Front load in past smelled in our Samsung. Has this been fixed?

Top loads have larger capacity but I can not reach bottem easily to get cloths out.

What do I do?

We bought a Maytag Bravos XL top loader several months ago I would say stay away from this machine. The problem is it uses such little water (and no agitator) that you have to use the "extra rinse" cycle in order to get the soap rinsed out of the darks. Sometimes even that is not enough and you have to do an extra rinse and spin.

Last edited:
I would go with Maytag. I have a Samsung stove and dishwasher. Loved them for all of about 10 months and they stopped working correctly. The dishwasher completely and one eye in the stove.

In all reality, the next time I buy appliances I will go with my dad's advice and buy the fewest bells and whistles I can get by with. The more extras, the more to stop working.

We bought a Maytag Bravos XL top loader several months ago I would say stay away from this machine. The problem is it uses such little water that you have to use the "extra rinse" cycle in order to get the soap rinsed out of the darks. Sometimes even that is not enough and you have to do an extra rinse and spin.

I have had the exact same experience with my HE LG. It's terrible. Sticking with agitators in the future!

I just bought a new washer Saturday and did a ton of research. I purchased from a local company that we have used for 30+ years that offers a 10 year warranty.

They stopped selling Samsung due to their inability to offer the extended warranty since they are such crap.

I bought a Speed Queen and suggest you look into them. They are made in the USA of metal (not plastic) parts. Speed Queen is known for its durability (makes most of the machines for laundromats). Speed Queen even offers its own 15 year warranty on its transmission.

Didn't cost any more than the upscale washers out there now in other brands, but will save a ton in repairs.

I bought a top load, but that is just my preference since I have heard so many bad things about the mold and smell of front loaders. I have never had one.

Unfortunately, after my DM died, I switched my 20 year old Maytag for her 9 year old GE. Now, I have had to replace the GE and I bet my old Maytag is running strong in her house.

I would go with Maytag. I have a Samsung stove and dishwasher. Loved them for all of about 10 months and they stopped working correctly. The dishwasher completely and one eye in the stove.

In all reality, the next time I buy appliances I will go with my dad's advice and buy the fewest bells and whistles I can get by with. The more extras, the more to stop working.
Our washing machine went kaput last month, it was a Kenmore from Sears and lasted about nine years. I guess the drum had gotten knocked out of alignment and was scraping against the inside and tearing everything apart. It was a mess and the quote to fix with parts and labor was over 1000, no thank you! We debated going with a front loader again but we ultimately chose LG. We ended up buying the dryer too so that we would have a matching set, and of course you need the pedestals with the front loaders. We were told to leave the door open after running a load to air out washing machine. Also run the tub clean cycle to avoid that smell and the mold getting on that rubber gasket. I hear what you're saying about buying the basic ones, but it seems impossible. Everybody seems to have only the complicated, fancy ones in stock. This washing machine and dryer have 12 settings! I probably will use only three of them, so ridiculous. Oh, they also play a tune when the cycle is finished. Just wash my clothes, and last for at least ten years- is it that hard?:confused3

Maytag and Whirlpool are pretty much the same. After all the horror stories I heard about front loaders, I replaced our 17 year old Maytag, with a top load Maytag Centennial, and am glad I did. Replaced our old dryer with the same Maytag model also. I also heard too many stories about problems with Samsungs, since most of their stuff is electronic, there are more things to break down. I have had no issues with either of our appliances since we bought them in May.

I will stick with Maytag or change to SpeedQueen. I like the durability that speedqueens offer. The Samsung set I have now belongs to daughter, she now has her own house so time to return it and get myu own set.

Does anyone else have problem with reach to bottem of washer tank? I only looked at the ones with high capacity.

Likely stick with front load.

The cost to repair front loading washers pushed me to get a top load again. The cost to repair my LG front load was almost the cost of my new machine!! The load capacity is not as good as a top load.

We now have a Speed Queen....good old turn the dial and pull to wash. Love it. Some things are better left unchanged from yesteryear.

I have no advice but will be watching this thread... I have a Frigidaire front loader set that is 10 years old and I hate them; the washer is gross and always full of moldy/mildewy grossness in the door seal that I can never fully get rid of... and I leave the door open ALWAYS, and have tried every cleaning method under the sun (bleach, vinegar, baking soda, hand-scrubbed it with a fingernail brush, etc). It broke a few weeks ago but fortunately my husband is handy and figured it out, but appliances are junk anymore, and at 10 years I'm waiting on baited breath for the motor to blow next.... I'm just jaded by appliances in general and am annoyed that they are so expensive and are so crappy. I'm thinking of returning to a top loader.... or, the Speed Queen sounds cool.

I have no advice but will be watching this thread... I have a Frigidaire front loader set that is 10 years old and I hate them; the washer is gross and always full of moldy/mildewy grossness in the door seal that I can never fully get rid of... and I leave the door open ALWAYS, and have tried every cleaning method under the sun (bleach, vinegar, baking soda, hand-scrubbed it with a fingernail brush, etc). It broke a few weeks ago but fortunately my husband is handy and figured it out, but appliances are junk anymore, and at 10 years I'm waiting on baited breath for the motor to blow next.... I'm just jaded by appliances in general and am annoyed that they are so expensive and are so crappy. I'm thinking of returning to a top loader.... or, the Speed Queen sounds cool.

According to my appliance store, this is the last year for the Speed queen with the dials. They now have an electronic panel. I was amazed that the dial machine cost $50 more than the electronic. The salesman did say that the testing for the new electronics showed a less than 1% failure rate. Time will tell. It is being installed today, so I will let you all know how I like it.

I will stick with Maytag or change to SpeedQueen. I like the durability that speedqueens offer. The Samsung set I have now belongs to daughter, she now has her own house so time to return it and get myu own set.

Does anyone else have problem with reach to bottem of washer tank? I only looked at the ones with high capacity.

Likely stick with front load.

I will only have top load. You can get a 'claw' to reach down into the drum to get the clothing at the bottom.

https://www.target.com/c/hand-tools-tool-sets-home-improvement/-/N-5xtsgZ77bd1#Nao=0&sortBy=Featured

With top load you can stop the cycle, open the door, add something you missed, take out something you put in by accident (like my really nice sweater, thanks, hubby!) You can fill the drum and use it to soak hand washables. You can fill it during a storm to have a backup reservoir of water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter