MDX just completely changed.

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
I was on MDX booking a trip, I finished up and just clicked the home page to look over what I have booked (and to see if my AP is showing yet) and Bam! It's all brand new! I hope this is a good thing lol. Coud be the beginning of the end the way the site has been acting lately..

Yup ... just logged into the website and it looks like it got a re-design. Knowing Disney IT this will probably just cause more issues and slow things down even more. It's going to take me a little while to get used to the new screens.

EDIT: After playing around with it for a bit, it seems like the main changes are mostly to the 'my plans' main overview page. Surprisingly the page actually seems a bit quicker than it's been in the past.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I’ll have to take a look. I have been leery about opening it much less making any changes.

I guess this would explain why it was so messed up the last few weeks.

How do I see all my friends/family plans now? That was the best part of the PC version as opposed to the App. Formerly I could see all my friends and family plans, so I could coordinate things like Fast Passes, dining reservations, etc. Also fun to just "follow along" with friends/family that were going at different times.

Now it seems I can only see "my" plans ..

I'm just getting an error. "Please come back later. We are unable to show your plans at this time."

Figured it out before I posted. It needed me to log in again, but didn't prompt until I went to the Magic Bands page. Now it loads fine.

I immediately noticed the Magic Band shipments. Used to be about a month out, right? Now it says we can make changes to the bands until October 27th. We arrive November 2nd. They better be overnighting those suckers!

Ugh - our tickets are messed up and no magic bands are even showing except for mine. Guess I'll be having fun with Disney IT today.

I immediately noticed the Magic Band shipments. Used to be about a month out, right? Now it says we can make changes to the bands until October 27th. We arrive November 2nd. They better be overnighting those suckers!
Odd .. Mine was correct .. and first it didn't show up on the main screen, but when I went to the "magic band & tickets" section it seemed fine and I could update them.

Maybe give it some time ..

This is interesting. On my homepage, it says I can make changes until November 5th (for my November 11th check in). When I click on Review my Order, it still says I can customize until October 11.

This could be problematic though, even with overnight shipping. I leave early on November 9th for my trip (a few days offsite for a wedding first), so I'd need the bands by November 8th, and it's cutting it pretty close if I actually have until the 5th to customize.

I noticed this too. I've always thought the delivery system was odd. I know a minority of people go to the parks before checking in, but I suspect most check in first. Why ship the bands? Just hand them out at check in as standard or upon first arrival at the park. Let people choose which of those options works best. Given WDW's penchant for marginal expense cuts... shipping magic bands seems like an easy target with an easy solution.

I noticed this too. I've always thought the delivery system was odd. I know a minority of people go to the parks before checking in, but I suspect most check in first. Why ship the bands? Just hand them out at check in as standard or upon first arrival at the park. Let people choose which of those options works best. Given WDW's penchant for marginal expense cuts... shipping magic bands seems like an easy target with an easy solution.

I've usually been able to bypass the front desk with online check in and go straight to my room. It's also useful to have them for DME on the way in.

I've usually been able to bypass the front desk with online check in and go straight to my room. It's also useful to have them for DME on the way in.

True. But would it matter that much? The DME stuff comes in the mail separate anyway. And you could still bypass the desk and ask to pick up in the park. Or they could just run them to the rooms once you arrive. Since you can now get into your room using your phone, you don't need it before hand. Pretty much anything is going to be cheaper than mailing thousands of them a day.

I'm fine with the current system, it certainly works for guests, but given the constant pressure to cut costs, I'm amazed this hasn't been targeted.

This is interesting. On my homepage, it says I can make changes until November 5th (for my November 11th check in). When I click on Review my Order, it still says I can customize until October 11.

This could be problematic though, even with overnight shipping. I leave early on November 9th for my trip (a few days offsite for a wedding first), so I'd need the bands by November 8th, and it's cutting it pretty close if I actually have until the 5th to customize.

I'm on chat with them now because they somehow switched my husband's and 7 year old's tickets and mentioned there seems to be a glitch on the magic band calculation.

Also - I only see my band, no one else's.

And, in typical Disney fashion, this has been live about 9 hours and just had this pop up:

 We cannot display all your dining reservation details right now. Please check back later.

And, in typical Disney fashion, this has been live about 9 hours and just had this pop up:
We cannot display all your dining reservation details right now. Please check back later

I got the same message. I had gone in to make a major payment today and got the message of doom. I refreshed and the page loaded with the new design without problem.
I was kind of hesitant to make the payment, but I went ahead and did it. All 'seems" fine. Ha!

While the interface is better (and faster) than the old "day by day" view, I just want to know how I can see my friends plans alongside my own. I am crossing over with my cousin's family and it is nice to see what they are up without asking them in case we want to meet them somewhere.

While the interface is better (and faster) than the old "day by day" view, I just want to know how I can see my friends plans alongside my own. I am crossing over with my cousin's family and it is nice to see what they are up without asking them in case we want to meet them somewhere.

I don't have anyone else in my Friends so this is just a wild guess, but on the main MDE page, where it says "Family & Friends", if you hover over that icon you get a button that says "View List" -- first it lists your own Family, the underneath that it says "My Other Family & Friends" -- does it list them there? If so are they clickable or anything?

FYI - after chatting with the Help desk, the date (a month out) is still correct. The date on the dashboard is wrong.

Do check the magic bands though. Mine is there but no one else's is. Help Desk confirmed that I am the only one receiving one at this time - and of course it's the last day to change them.

Perfect.

True. But would it matter that much? The DME stuff comes in the mail separate anyway. And you could still bypass the desk and ask to pick up in the park. Or they could just run them to the rooms once you arrive. Since you can now get into your room using your phone, you don't need it before hand. Pretty much anything is going to be cheaper than mailing thousands of them a day.

I'm fine with the current system, it certainly works for guests, but given the constant pressure to cut costs, I'm amazed this hasn't been targeted.

They aren't made in Orlando though, right? I think mine have shipped from Tennessee? So they'd have to ship them in bulk to Orlando, distribute them across the resort to hotels (or theme parks), deal with people forgetting where they requested them be delivered and not being at the right place, and it would reduce the ability to skip check in (which in itself is a way to cut positions, isn't it? With online check in, they don't need as many CMs at the front desk). Then, when people check in, the CM would need to sort through a bunch of bands to find yours (or they'd need to be organized before hand), which takes time and reduces efficiency. I'm not sure it'd be as big of a cost savings as you think it would be.

They aren't made in Orlando though, right? I think mine have shipped from Tennessee? So they'd have to ship them in bulk to Orlando, distribute them across the resort to hotels (or theme parks), deal with people forgetting where they requested them be delivered and not being at the right place, and it would reduce the ability to skip check in (which in itself is a way to cut positions, isn't it? With online check in, they don't need as many CMs at the front desk). Then, when people check in, the CM would need to sort through a bunch of bands to find yours (or they'd need to be organized before hand), which takes time and reduces efficiency. I'm not sure it'd be as big of a cost savings as you think it would be.

They are already sorted into boxes. Those boxes just need to be delivered to the hotel. Housekeeping is generally in the loop on which rooms have guests returning and which rooms need a full clean for new guests. The boxes could be dropped in the room so long as assignments are done early morning. Sure some people request room changes on arrival, but not many and even fewer without seeing the rooms first. So leaving them in the rooms is a small detail for someone following behind housekeeping, mostly a software issue on a one time build and not a human resource costs.

Yes, they get shipped in bulk from where they are made. My money is on China. Probably sent to several distribution areas. Given the amount of merchandise Disney is getting shipped in from China to be sold with massive mark ups in the gift shops, adding to that supply chain would be easy and probably save money. Where the bands are initialized might be a sticking point, but if it is done in TN, it can be done in Orlando. Some would get sent to hotels, some to the parks. Neither is a supply chain issue since it is the same with merchandise.

I don't think it's much of a human cost, though there would be some. But when you think of all those boxes being shipped daily, even a few dollars per box, it adds up in a hurry. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be a cost saver over a decent horizon. The IT build out up front would certainly be a cost though.

I don't have anyone else in my Friends so this is just a wild guess, but on the main MDE page, where it says "Family & Friends", if you hover over that icon you get a button that says "View List" -- first it lists your own Family, the underneath that it says "My Other Family & Friends" -- does it list them there? If so are they clickable or anything?
That just gives me the list of my friends list. They aren't clickable, just editable to update the sharing preferences.

So where previously, when I looked at the old calendar view .. I could see all of my cousin's fast passes, resort and dining reservations (even the ones that didn't overlap with our trip). That view could get a bit busy and confusing if you didn't know what you were looking at, especially if you had a ton of people going at the same time all with different plans --- and could cause accidents if you tried to update a plan that wasn't yours specifically --- BUT, it was nice to just see what they were planning. Since my cousin and my trip sort of crossed over without pre-planning it, it was nice to just look at their reservations and plan some of our day around those so we could meet up in the evenings.

The new view is a better (and faster) view of the whole trip for MY account (going day by day was slow), but seems like it will be hard to plan/see/coordinate with family/friends with separate MDE accounts if you have no way to see their plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter