Meal plans?

CJK

DIS Veteran
Is anyone here knowledgeable about the meal plans? I don't *think* they would work well for us, but I'm not sure. We're not big breakfast eaters, so the breakfast buffets don't appeal to us much. We would like 1 nice sit down meal each day, and then probably just a quick service lunch. Thoughts?

Thank you! We'd like to do the following restaurants:

Wild West Dinner show (category 2 seating)
Walt's Restaurant (dinner)
Bistrot Chez Remy (dinner)
Captain Jack's (lunch if possible?)

I think we'd be better off not getting any meal plan. Does that make sense? My TA said that the breakfast and half board plans are very popular, but I just don't think it makes sense for us.

Thanks! We're only staying for 3 nights, so one of those restaurants would have to be paid for out of pocket. I'll go over the menus of each to determine which one to pay for out of pocket. I just looked at pricing for Captain Jack's and it does seem pricey. Maybe the meal plan is a good option after all. It's so strange asking such newbie questions about something Disney related, when we're WDW veterans! lol Thanks so much for your help!

In which hotel are you staying? That determines the level of meal plan you'll get, which also determines which is included and what isn't (you'll still be able to use the value), you can get a higher level, but not lower. The show is only included in the highest level
Oh wow, I didn't know that! We're staying at Hotel New York. What level meal plan would we be getting? Would it cover the 3 standard restaurants mentioned above?

With New York I believe you get Plus (or pay extra to get premium, so you have two options). Walt's isn't in Plus and neither is Buffalo Bill's, so it might pay of to go the Premium, or it might not...
Thanks for this info. My TA didn't tell us anything about the different levels of the meal plans. I only knew about breakfast, half board and full board - and thought it was the same across all hotels. The half board will cost us 60 euros per person (according to our TA). That price doesn't seem to correspond with anything on the website you mentioned above. It seems closer to the premium price than plus price though?? I will continue reading, and see if I can figure this all out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!! I didn't know that I didn't know so much! ;)

You can go the DLP website and all the different options are laid out for you. So you can price it out, also is the amount the TA is given you in Euro's or dollars, and will your CC charge you for the conversion.

I booked our trip using the UK site... I called WDW in Fl. and asked to be transferred to DLP, make sure to ask for someone that speaks English, the CM suggested it and helped me book... I got a much better deal, that included Newport Bay Compass club level, PH's, half board plus, and 1 extra FP per person per day tea time in the club room daily... I used my American express as they don't charge for the conversion, it books in pounds, you can double check what it will cost you in dollars...

You can check the different websites yourself to get an idea of what each offers.

Reactions: CJK
i'm on this path of discovery as well.....so confusing....and the problem of the strengthening euro vs the dollar, everything is insanely expensive..
and it seems soft drinks aren't even included in buffets? so even more expensive?

i'm thinking the bargain i thought i had isn't really a bargain at all..

at least my hotel package is set in dollars, or else i'd have a real shock coming!!

so now i'm off to learn what i can about meals at DLP...

Reactions: CJK
If you use the meal plan, your first drink is included. For most of the buffets this is also the case. There is a law in France about supplying free refills (it's not allowed), so it's not really something Disney can do anything about (although 5 guys seems to have a work around where you can get a new cup for free, so it isn't a refill, not sure if that's still in place).

But yes, the difference between the Dollar and the Euro is huge at the moment! We're laughing all the way through planning our trip, but the other way around isn't that funny

there's a law against a free refill????????????????????? are they against consumers?
we don't have free refills either, but there's no law..
it's just not a thing here...(and the consumers here would probably drink a tanker each if it were free...)

i just checked the inventions menu - it costs 69 euro for adults and the drink is NOT included.
for children, it costs 39 euro and the first drink is included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!