Medic Alert braclets

KYmommy

Mouseketeer
DS son is severly allergy to peanuts and treenuts. We ordered him a sports med braclet from another company. He hates it. It is big and stiff. I was wondering how others liked the sportband bracelets from Medic Alert. Are they child size and comfortable? (DS is 5 and and very some for his age) Does your child like it theirs and wear it? I would like DS to be comforable enough to wear it always.
We leave in 40 days. Please help. We need to do something quick.

Kris

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

KYMommy Don't know about the Medic Alert sports bracelets. I would not make it his choice as to whether to wear it. Uncomfortable or not it is necessary! He will get used to it. When it comes to their safety children do not get a choice. Do you allow him not to be in a car seat because he doesn't like it. Same concept.

My 7 and 15 year old wear the elastic band one from Medic Allert. I agree they don't have a choice they have to wear it. They both know that if I'm not there when an emergency happens without it their lives could be in danger so they don't question it.

I don't know if it is a better or a worse option, but I wear a MedicAlert necklace instead and generally don't even know it is there (though it took a few days to get used to). I find myself occasionally reaching up to feel that it is still there since it is just a part of my life now.

Of course I understand it is not a choice. That he will have to wear one. But, given the choice, I would like for him to have one that is comfortable, even if I have to spend the money to buy another one. DS has very small wrist and this bracelet is very big on him.
He is already drilled that about how important it is that people know about his allergy, how everything (and we mean everything)that goes into his mouth has to be read, and how he never goes anywhere without his bag with his epi pen. Believe me, we know how important it all is. I just want him to be comfortable.
We have thought about the necklaces. That is a thought.
I still am wondering about the medic alert sport bracelets. Can anyone help?
I know we all just want to keep our kids save and educate others about life threating allergies. Thanks for your help.

Kris

My ds wears his all the time with no problem. It's comfortable, and because it comes in one size only, you can cut the extra length off to fit his wrist. I have about 2in in extra lengh on it. Because ds' allergies haven't changed, I've been using this same one for about a year now. His has soccerballs on it and he thinks it's cool. Maybe you can let your son look at the website and pick out one he likes?

Lately, he's been getting it pretty dirty when he's playing- I need to figure out if I can wash it or if that will ruin the medallion. We've only had 1-2 times that it has come off, and it's always been at home when this has happened.

I'm not comfortable with the necklace one yet- ds is only 4- still worry he could get tangled up in it somehow.

d-man's mom said:
My ds wears his all the time with no problem. It's comfortable, and because it comes in one size only, you can cut the extra length off to fit his wrist. I have about 2in in extra lengh on it. Because ds' allergies haven't changed, I've been using this same one for about a year now. His has soccerballs on it and he thinks it's cool. Maybe you can let your son look at the website and pick out one he likes?

Lately, he's been getting it pretty dirty when he's playing- I need to figure out if I can wash it or if that will ruin the medallion. We've only had 1-2 times that it has come off, and it's always been at home when this has happened.

I'm not comfortable with the necklace one yet- ds is only 4- still worry he could get tangled up in it somehow.
If it's from the medic alert site, as far as I know, the medallions are all stainless steel and would be not be a problem to wash. Most people with the all metal ones wear them all the time, including in the bath or shower.

Just a thought - I am a distance runner and can't stand to have any type of jewelry on when I run, even my medic alert bracelet. I instead ordered a tag with all of my medical info on it from a company that makes pet tags, and it is on the laces of my running shoes. You can put anything on the tags you like, as long as it fits. Only downfall is that it does not have the medical symbol on it.

I have been looking at the web page and really like the design of the sportsbands. Here is my question (and sorry it may be silly :)). Is there no place for what your child is allergic to? For instance, DS is severly allergic to peanuts and treenuts and carries an epi pen jr. I would like this on his bracelet in case he his in a situation where he is not hurt but someone needs to know this (lost, or at school, etc.) and someone maybe trying to give him something that isnt safe. Of course he knows he is supposed to have them read and and actually not take anything unless mommy or daddy have said it is okay but, I still want it on him.
Anyway, I didnt see this info on the bracelet anywhere. Do you only get that info when you call?
Thanks for your help. I do like these bracelets. They look comfortable.

Kris

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

There is.
The medic alert ones can have whateever you want engraved on it (limited by as many characters as they can put). So, you have whatever is engraved on it, plus the 800 number can be called to get contact information and more information.

The information you want engraved goes on the back side of the medallion on the sports band. My son has one of these and it's easy to just turn over and read. His has the animals on it. He also has a necklace. My DD has the basic bracelet but hers is the stainless steel w/pink, I have the original stainless steel and red bracelet. We never take ours off. The sports band one you can just take a small brush and brush it off with some soap and water.

Yes, you can fit a lot of info on the back of the bracelet. Ours says anaphalactic to milk, eggs, soy, nuts, carries epi pen, asthma.

Thanks for the info about washing it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter