Medical Services....

CyndiRae1

Earning My Ears
Hi All...
We are doing WDW for 4 days then the Cruise. My 9 year old has asthma which is normally controlled by his inhaler. He does need a neb treatment at times when he is sick or such. It does not happen very often but I was wondering about where to go if he needs one while we are there. I could bring his own machine with but it is so bulky and we probably won't need it. Any suggestions or experiences would be great!!

Thanks..Cyndi:earsgirl: :wave:

Cyndi, if you post this question on the Disabilities board, you will get lots of responses :)

If you feel you need to take the nebulizer with you to the parks, you can leave it at the First Aid stations in each park -- they are happy to do that. The First Aid Stations are great places to do treatments - they are staffed by nurses.

I have read that the cruise line medical facility does not have a nebulizer... definitely check on that.

Plus, have you heard about the new battery-powered nebulizers that weigh 8 oz? Check this thread: battery powered nebulizer thread

We have taken our daughter to the ER at the Celebration Hospital. (for different problems)
They were great, we had a note from her doctor describing her condition and how to treat it. They followed her orders exactly and said they would call her doctor if they ran in to problems. The ER staff was extremely respectful of our knowledge of her condition and was not afraid to admit that they have not treated a child with this condition before. They also reassured us that where her regular doctors are is the best hospital in the country to treat her. She also had to stay a night there and the entire hospital is just great.

Melinda

Make A Wish Trip -- October 27 - November 3

Piglet

Welcome. I was going to post a link to previous questions about asthma, but you have already been given pretty much all the info that would have been in the link.
The other suggestion that I have is to carry something with you (like a doctors letter and instructions) to explain what the nebulizer is and why you need it. If you carry the nebulizer with you on an airplane or into the park, a letter should help to tell security people that it is nothing to be suspicious of. Chances are good they will not have seen one before.

Thanks everyone.....I have called my Doc. to see about her prescribing a smaller one for us...I will for sure get a Doctors note about why we have it and such...that is a really good idea...we are getting really excited about our trip in January!!!

Cyndi

If there is any chance that you child may need to use the nebulizer in flight, it would be a good idea to contact the airline. Some airlines require advanced notice if a passenger needs to use medical equipment during a flight. Some have a list of medical equipment already approved for use in flight. Be sure to have the name of the nebulizer, its model number and manufacturer's name, address and telephone number handy when you make the call. It is my understanding that the airlines are concerned about interference with the navigational and radio equipment on board (they were concerned years before the recent tragic events). Having the equipment approved for use in flight will also help you avoid any confrontations with already stressed out airline employees. Be prepared that the airlines may refuse to allow you to use the equipment while the plane is under 10,000 feet.

Glad to be of help. Our child uses medical equipment on the airplane, so we have a lot of experience with working with airlines to get the equipment approved. I forgot to mention that when you call the airline, you should ask to be transerred to their department that deals with special situations/requests. Most of the ticket agents will not be able to answer your questions or have the authority to approve medical equipment for use on the plane. Luckily, nebulizers are commonly used and I expect that airlines are prepared for people to need to use them during flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter