Mediterranean versus Caribbean...differences/experiences

CaLuCa

Mouseketeer
My family of 6 is seriously considering a 7 night Mediterranean this summer. This would be our 4th DCL (one Dream double dip, one Dream that never made it to Castaway Cay, and a Puerto Rico reposition last year). We are Florida residents, and while our beach isn't St. Thomas, we can go any time we want (DH runs on the beach each morning). We love the shows on DCL, feel its the best line for our family at this stage in the game, but are not interested in doing another Caribbean. I am hoping this can be a good introduction to Europe (kills me that I have to do Rome in 10 hours!).

I'm hoping someone can compare/contrast Caribbean and Mediterranean experiences. Any thoughts on things I should consider? We would be mostly booking excursions on our own and will add some time in Paris and surrounding areas after.

I'd love any advice you can give! Kids will be 17,10, 10 and 7 for the summer. They're good travelers, but I've only subjected the oldest to international flights and her last one was prior to the twins (love them, but they put the kibosh on international travel!).

The biggest thing to me is Caribbean is closer and port days aren't usually so long and tiring since in the Med, the ports can be an hour or two away from the city you're exploring. If you go into it knowing you'll be spending less time (for the most part) on the ship you might (or might not) want cheaper cabins or late dining or something like that.

It's still going to be hot and humid, ports and main areas of attractions are still going to be crowded both places, etc. Obviously transportation to the ship will be more of an expense (flights) and language may or may not be a barrier but the ship is still Magic and the entertainment and food the same. I've done both more than once and enjoy them for different reasons.

My family of 6 is seriously considering a 7 night Mediterranean this summer. This would be our 4th DCL (one Dream double dip, one Dream that never made it to Castaway Cay, and a Puerto Rico reposition last year). We are Florida residents, and while our beach isn't St. Thomas, we can go any time we want (DH runs on the beach each morning). We love the shows on DCL, feel its the best line for our family at this stage in the game, but are not interested in doing another Caribbean. I am hoping this can be a good introduction to Europe (kills me that I have to do Rome in 10 hours!).

I'm hoping someone can compare/contrast Caribbean and Mediterranean experiences. Any thoughts on things I should consider? We would be mostly booking excursions on our own and will add some time in Paris and surrounding areas after.

I'd love any advice you can give! Kids will be 17,10, 10 and 7 for the summer. They're good travelers, but I've only subjected the oldest to international flights and her last one was prior to the twins (love them, but they put the kibosh on international travel!).
We’ve done both and the simplest way to explain the differences is that essentially every Caribbean port is the same and each Mediterranean port has its own unique identity. The Caribbean is a great easy relaxing getaway whereas the Med is more of a cultural experience.

We have done both and the Med is much more hectic but so beautiful! We researched a lot using Rick Steves Med Cruise Port book and trip advisor. Did all the ports on our own after a lot of research and it was perfect for us.

As previous poster said, Mediterranean cruises are a lot more port intensive. I'd highly suggest second seating for dinner, so you do not have to rush after getting onboard with latish port times. Doing private/ small group excursions allow you to get a lot more done while in port, but there are some ports that can be done on your own. I would highly suggest arriving to Europe a few days early.
There also tends to be more older kids and teens onboard European itineraries.

We have loved all of our Disney cruises in all of the various locations. Caribbean cruises are like a beach day every day, and can be very relaxing. Our European cruises have been amazing with a different adventure in every port. We have done Med, Baltic, Iceland/Norway and a Western Europe repositioning cruise with kids from ages 3 months up our son being 16 last summer. We have all had a great time. As we traveled in Europe with our kids at different ages we have used that in the decision making as far as what to do in ports. When they were younger, we made sure to balance a long day in Rome with pizza and then a shorter excursion in Naples. If you have a couple days in Barcelona we highly recommend Cosmo Caixa. It is an interactive science museum with its own indoor rainforest. Our kids loved it when we were there a few years ago. So much so that when we realized we would be in Barcelona for DS’s 16th bday he chose Cosmo Caixa over Tibidabo which is an amusement park on the mountain above Barcelona. Google them both. We have the WBPC cruise coming up in March, and then DS’ graduation cruise on the Fantasy the following summer. Then we are going to try to do a cruise on the new ship the Wish, but I cannot wait for another cruise in the warm Mediterranean Sea. :)

The med hands-down has so many more opportunities to see real history. So if you’re looking for more of a sightseeing educational bucket list cruise then go with Med. But if you’re just looking to relax and have fun in the sun then definitely do Caribbean.

Mediterranean cruises in my opinion are more exhausting than a Caribbean cruise. Someone posted above the Caribbean cruise is like a beach day, every day relaxing. I agree We also prefer to do our port excursions in our own. to save money. Med sailing you then have to plan more as distances/ costs are more than in the Caribbean. In Marseille just cabbing it Takes 20-30 min/ 30 euros just to get to the city. The cruise shuttle was 20 per person to city center. In the caribbean you just Grab a cab and say to me to a beach. I also noticed many European ports didn’t have a many cabs as Caribbean ports. In the caribbean one has the sense the whole island is there welcoming you with services. Many European ports could care less your ship is there. Me personally would do a sailing that embarks in Rome. I know most DCL do Barcelona. Barcelona IMO is easy on your own to see the main highlights in one day. Take the 10 euro shuttle to and you are right there in 10 min. A port day trip from Civitavecchia for me would be utter hell. Too far and too much to do. Rome one needs days, esp in the summer heat.

Also we love DCL but sailed Royal ( oasis). Saved half!!! Under 5000, balcony family four vs 10G in DCL. And my kids loooooved what that ship offered Royal usually sails an Oasus class ship in the Med. in the summer. Think this summer it
Might be the Allure??

fir great tips on DIY port adventures or private tours check out cruise critic. I got great advice there. And if you have specific things you want to see book online months before your trip. Ex Rome coliseum books out weeks/ months. Saves you time to. Same with Barcelona Anything Gaudi/ Sagrida a Familie

Last edited:
I couldnt imagine less than several days in Rome either, that is a large part of why we chose MSC since we could embark in Rome. Now MSC is far different from the Disney experience but for just my husband and me I think its the right choice for this cruise. I kind of doubt we will have much energy for shows or activities most days and we splurged a bit to get a room with a hot tub on the balcony so that we can rejuvenate our tired bodies (without people soup) and still watch as we sail by the coastlines. We also got flexible dining with this room which I think will be very welcomed for this itinerary.

If you are considering MSC at all, please read a lot about the differences. For me the biggest adjustment was being in the small percentage of passengers as a native English speaker. It wasnt so much the language but the cultural differences, ie.e, personal space, "cutting" in line, etc.. However I would say by day 2 on the ship I was adjusted and I had a fantastic time. Blending with those of other cultures and finding ways to communicate enriched the experience for me but I know it isnt going to be what everyone is looking for.

I'd echo everything everyone else has said. I'd add that I'd only do DCL for the Med if you MUST have DCL and are willing to sacrifice money to do it and/or are ok with skipping some of Europe to enjoy the ship (at a premium.)

There is a LOT to see in Europe. You can fill a port day completely and barely scratch the surface of any given port. If you want to enjoy the ship, you'll be trading that time from what you could be doing off the ship. We are also a family of 6 (kids were 17,17, 14, 11 at the time) and used MSC. We sailed concierge for less than half of what non-concierge would have cost on DCL. We saved enough to do a week land tour in France (arranged by a tour company so still less stress for me.) MSC has no sea days, and is absolutely a different product than DCL, but it was perfect for us for what we needed. With 6 people, it's cost effective to do private tours. We had some amazing, full, days with just our family, came back to the ship to clean up and have a late dinner, then pass out and do it again the next day. LOL We did a mix of history, local culture, and fun, to keep the whole family happy.

As others have stated Caribbean cruise are more relaxing while the Med cruise are very port intensive. Port days are long in the Med, and again as others have stated, the most of the port adventures take place 30 minutes to 2 hours away mattering on the port. There is a lot to see and do on the adventures and so while they are very enjoyable, they can be exhausting.

With that said, if I didn't have to worry about the difference in cost, then I would take another 10 day Med cruise in a heartbeat.

Psy

We have loved all of our Disney cruises in all of the various locations. Caribbean cruises are like a beach day every day, and can be very relaxing. Our European cruises have been amazing with a different adventure in every port. We have done Med, Baltic, Iceland/Norway and a Western Europe repositioning cruise with kids from ages 3 months up our son being 16 last summer. We have all had a great time. As we traveled in Europe with our kids at different ages we have used that in the decision making as far as what to do in ports. When they were younger, we made sure to balance a long day in Rome with pizza and then a shorter excursion in Naples. If you have a couple days in Barcelona we highly recommend Cosmo Caixa. It is an interactive science museum with its own indoor rainforest. Our kids loved it when we were there a few years ago. So much so that when we realized we would be in Barcelona for DS’s 16th bday he chose Cosmo Caixa over Tibidabo which is an amusement park on the mountain above Barcelona. Google them both. We have the WBPC cruise coming up in March, and then DS’ graduation cruise on the Fantasy the following summer. Then we are going to try to do a cruise on the new ship the Wish, but I cannot wait for another cruise in the warm Mediterranean Sea. :)

hi! we were on the same cruise this past summer..

we actually don't care where the ship is as long as it's a disney ship.
the major difference to me is the european cruises are crazy expensive....even crazier than the regular disney cruises..
that said, it's disney and i'm willing to pay the premium..

cruising is a nice easy introduction to europe so if you're interested in seeing europe, it's a pretty good way to go about it..

our cruise started in barcelona, so we came in 3 days early and had an amazing time....all 9 of us loved it....(ages 64,63, 34, 32, 32, 32, 5, 3, 1 )....
Yes, even the toddlers loved barcelona, the ship and the ports....

i second the suggestion of cosmo caixa..
your kids are the perfect age for it...

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. You hit on the things I was thinking...Caribbean = relaxation, Med = experience. I'm looking at it thinking we want more experience. Living in Florida and having a beach and pool has really changed our desire to seek out beaches. We now rarely even get in hotel pools when we go over to Disney because we are so spoiled we only want to swim in ours (unless it has a slide, then we'll get in). Such First World problems!!

Unfortunately, our time constraints only allow about 24 hours in Barcelona prior. But we are planning a week in France...Paris, Mont Saint Michel, hitting some castles (tried to figure out if I could do Germany too, but again time and funds), and Disneyland Paris. I would be willing to try a different line, but I think the kids (and me too) feel they want Disney, as a security blanket.

Every time I look at flights, I keep thinking we could be at the port in 45 minutes! But we are tired of Caribbean.

Thanks for the tip on booking DIY excursions early and cruise critic.

if you could work the Eastbound Transatlantic into your schedule it is a fantastic cruise - blend of relaxing sea days and then a few European cities at the end - we have sailed 5 transatlantics with our son (now 13) - it is his favourite cruise itinerary - we did the Med back to back last year and after all those intensive port days, my son and hubby were done - thankfully the last day of the cruise was a sea day :-) we loved the med ports but it is very long days and not much time to enjoy the ship - if i were to do a med again i would consider Royal or NCL if we plan to be off the ship all day.

hi! we were on the same cruise this past summer..

we actually don't care where the ship is as long as it's a disney ship.
the major difference to me is the european cruises are crazy expensive....even crazier than the regular disney cruises..
that said, it's disney and i'm willing to pay the premium..

cruising is a nice easy introduction to europe so if you're interested in seeing europe, it's a pretty good way to go about it..

our cruise started in barcelona, so we came in 3 days early and had an amazing time....all 9 of us loved it....(ages 64,63, 34, 32, 32, 32, 5, 3, 1 )....
Yes, even the toddlers loved barcelona, the ship and the ports....

i second the suggestion of cosmo caixa..
your kids are the perfect age for it...

Hi there Beth! It’s me, Marni (o&smom). It was so fun meeting you and running into you everywhere on the cruise. Do you have another planned, or any Disney trips? We are on the WBPC with a surprise 5 days at Disneyland after. Hope you and your family are healthy and well. Wishing you blessings in 2020.

Hi there Beth! It’s me, Marni (o&smom). It was so fun meeting you and running into you everywhere on the cruise. Do you have another planned, or any Disney trips? We are on the WBPC with a surprise 5 days at Disneyland after. Hope you and your family are healthy and well. Wishing you blessings in 2020.

Hi Marni!!
it was so great meeting you on the ship and i was so thankful that you came up to me...
i still don't know how you figured out it was me!!!
i'd love to do the panama canal some day....or a transatlantic....a long cruise sounds like heaven to me!!!

Aaron and I are going on an adventures by disney in october this year - the backstage magic and disneyland ...
the tour that's being led by some of the podcasters..
we're flying in early and going on a 5 night cruise on the Disney Wonder....i can't wait!!

and then in 2021, we'll be at WDW with the entire gang (same gang as was on the magic last summer)..
we'll be at WDW for 3 weeks, and we'll probably throw in a quickie 3 night cruise on the Dream either at the beginning or the end...

Hi Marni!!
it was so great meeting you on the ship and i was so thankful that you came up to me...
i still don't know how you figured out it was me!!!
i'd love to do the panama canal some day....or a transatlantic....a long cruise sounds like heaven to me!!!

Aaron and I are going on an adventures by disney in october this year - the backstage magic and disneyland ...
the tour that's being led by some of the podcasters..
we're flying in early and going on a 5 night cruise on the Disney Wonder....i can't wait!!

and then in 2021, we'll be at WDW with the entire gang (same gang as was on the magic last summer)..
we'll be at WDW for 3 weeks, and we'll probably throw in a quickie 3 night cruise on the Dream either at the beginning or the end...

Sounds like fun! We are just going to miss you at DL this fall. We will be there the end of Sept. Do you know when you will be at WDW in the summer of 2021? We will be there as well before our son’s graduation cruise. We think it will be in June. Waiting on Disney releasing cruises. Enjoy your adventures!

Sounds like fun! We are just going to miss you at DL this fall. We will be there the end of Sept. Do you know when you will be at WDW in the summer of 2021? We will be there as well before our son’s graduation cruise. We think it will be in June. Waiting on Disney releasing cruises. Enjoy your adventures!

we're also waiting for the summer 2021 itineraries to figure out if we can fit a cruise in..
our priority is WDW that year..
no one wants to sacrifice even a single day of the 3 weeks at WDW, which is why it will probably only be a 3 night cruise on the Dream...
we'll be there the second half of july and part of august probably..
our kids and their spouses are all teachers so we're tied to the school year here, which goes through the very last day of june...
plus the two who are music teachers have concerts in early july at the conservatory, so that pushes us to the middle of july...
mid-summer is fine.....after all, a super crowded, incredibly hot and humid day at WDW is better than no day there at all!!

I won't repeat what others have said about relaxation vs experience. If you do the Med, you should find books on the history of the countries you will visit (I wish I had before our Med). I took European history in both high school and University but must have slept through both (and they were US versions of history). We, fortunately, had a great guide and I was amazed at the history. I now read history or "historical fiction" books about wherever we will be traveling. Your older children especially will be better world citizens by knowing more about the world.

We have done both the Med and Caribbean cruises on DCL. My DD was 11 when we did the Med in 2018. I made sure to include her in the planning. I figured if she had buy in to what we were seeing in the ports, she would enjoy it more. She did. We also mostly did half day excursions (all on our own except one) and actually spent quite a bit of time on the ship. She loved it. I also could not fathom only 10 hours in Rome so we chose a cruise that ended in Rome so that we could have several days there after. It was the perfect way to do it for us. I understand your wanting to stick with DCL. The familiarity of the ship with all of the foreignness of the ports was very important for my daughter's comfort level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!