Meet the Putmans

CdnCarrie

DIS Veteran
Anyone else watching this show?

I could have sworn it started last year and got pulled due to the father having some not so stellar background.

I've watched the last 2 episodes and I'm not sure about them.
All the drama about Blair moving out of the house. Good grief she is only going a couple hours away and it was like she was leaving forever.

I have been watching and I am also not sure what to make of them. I'll keep watching, just to see how the season ends.

Anyone else watching this show?

I could have sworn it started last year and got pulled due to the father having some not so stellar background.

I've watched the last 2 episodes and I'm not sure about them.
All the drama about Blair moving out of the house. Good grief she is only going a couple hours away and it was like she was leaving forever.

The drama about her C-section was a bit much, too. :sad2:

I thought the same thing about Blair leaving each time. You think she was going across the world. The father seems really controlling about that too. Blair said she didn't know how to budget and pay her bills and that it was hard work because the Mother controls all the money. These guys are in big trouble if anything happens to the mother.

That is one big house they are building , their private hotel...lol

Last week I couldn't figure out why they had to buy a new dress for all them for a school dance seems like a waste of money to me, hand them down. All that wash would have me going crazy too. All most like sister wives only they don't sleep with each other.

I watched the first two episodes and have the rest on my dvr. I was definitely weirded out by the whole situation. The whole family living together doesn't bother me but the co-dependency is really strange. I remember the father joking early in the first episode about how people call them a cult and after watching the whole episode, I kinda agree that it is "cult like". The daughers and son in law all first thought it was really strange on how this family lives but they were slowly indoctrinated in to the creepy family.

I'm definitely going to keep watching but I like to watch the weird and unusual.

I can see the benefits of living together and having a village to raise children. But I couldn't deal with the mounds of laundry and huge meal prep.
Plus if you feel lazy and everyone else is cleaning you can't plan your own day.

I would hate the loss of autonomy and independence. But I also see how it would be nice to let others do all the money management, etc.

What a bunch of freaks. Seriously. That dad is a piece of work. I swear he's trying to win his daughter back from her husband. There should never be that much pressure to keep a man away from his wife and kids. What is he, just a sperm donor? Oh yeah, and a paycheck donor?

Sure the laundry and cooking seems intimidating, but there are at least 8 adults in that house, 4 of whom do not have outside jobs.

The whole thing looks really unhealthy and codependent to be sure.

And the mom's PCP is her son? Do women let their sons examine them? Really?

The whole thing is creepy. But yeah, I'm still watching. popcorn::

Am I out to lunch or when it premiered last year was there not something out about abuse and the Dad?

And I agree with the PP regarding the dresses for the little girls. They must have a ton of hand me downs!

That was the Willis family. The father Toby was charged with child rape.

No I remember that one. For the Putnams I thought the neighbours spoke out and said some negative things about the family and the show was canceled. I was surprised to see it back. I've googled it and can't find it so maybe I'm am mixing it up with another family.

Found it!

On the link scroll down and there is a link to a news article. The comments seem to be gone but if you read the comments in the forum thread they discuss the neighbours' comments on the article. I remember seeing this last year and thinking "wow this show will be cancelled". Guess it wasn't.
http://www.freejinger.org/topic/28747-the-putman-family-cult-on-tlc/?page=2

Last edited:
I DVR'd the first episode but turned it off when the entire extended family was in the waiting room for the c-section and they were turning a routine surgery into this drama filled event. Just, no.

Not only waiting in the waiting room, but not following the rules and taking turns taking everyone back into post op. Wow. They act like they love each other so everything is based on that. Lots of families love each other and manage to follow rules and norms. They're not extra special - they're just weird, IMO.

Dad pulling the whole guilt thing on his wife for maybe having breast cancer really showcased his selfishness.

I DVR'd the first episode but turned it off when the entire extended family was in the waiting room for the c-section and they were turning a routine surgery into this drama filled event. Just, no.
I agree, that was just awful. If I was there to visit someone else, I would be extremely annoyed with one family taking over the area. The kids do not need to be there to greet a new cousin. I'd love to think it was for the benefit of the cameras, but in this case, I don't think so.

Never heard of it. I don't watch reality TV. I'm not sure when the last time was that I had on TLC for anything. But according to this site, there was a one-time special on in January before season 1 started.

I thought they were on for a few shows. Maybe these shows were taped and never shown for Season 1.

No I remember that one. For the Putnams I thought the neighbours spoke out and said some negative things about the family and the show was canceled. I was surprised to see it back. I've googled it and can't find it so maybe I'm am mixing it up with another family.

Found it!

On the link scroll down and there is a link to a news article. The comments seem to be gone but if you read the comments in the forum thread they discuss the neighbours' comments on the article. I remember seeing this last year and thinking "wow this show will be cancelled". Guess it wasn't.
http://www.freejinger.org/topic/28747-the-putman-family-cult-on-tlc/?page=2

Interesting, thanks for the link. There is no end to the dysfunction with these TV mega-families. I actually follow a few of them on FreeJinger but didn't get that far in the Putman thread.

I watched part of an episode but turned it off. The daughter was talking about having to move for a while and the Dad made a comment like "I know you think ____(husband) is head of your family but I am and I will decide when you move home." I can't figure out why the son in law and daughters in law would want to live in such a controlling environment.

Definitely a weird family. I honestly hope the show doesn't last. The dad is so creepy; he wants to manipulate and control everyone and be king of the castle. I feel bad for the youngest son and the SIL, who are both doctors. Neither of them seems real happy with this arrangement.

I can see the benefits of living together and having a village to raise children.

I agree it could be good in some ways, but they don't even seem to be using it to their advantage. For example, why did they take ALL the kids to the grocery store? Wouldn't it make more sense to have 3 or 4 of the adults (if they need that many carts) go shopping, and the rest stay home with the children. Or maybe that was just for the cameras. So much for "reality tv". :rolleyes2

I hope the children have some friends outside the family; at least they go to school. I wonder how the in-laws (the children's other grandparents and the rest of that side of the family) feel about it.

Definitely a weird family. I honestly hope the show doesn't last. The dad is so creepy; he wants to manipulate and control everyone and be king of the castle. I feel bad for the youngest son and the SIL, who are both doctors. Neither of them seems real happy with this arrangement.

I agree it could be good in some ways, but they don't even seem to be using it to their advantage. For example, why did they take ALL the kids to the grocery store? Wouldn't it make more sense to have 3 or 4 of the adults (if they need that many carts) go shopping, and the rest stay home with the children. Or maybe that was just for the cameras. So much for "reality tv". :rolleyes2

I hope the children have some friends outside the family; at least they go to school. I wonder how the in-laws (the children's other grandparents and the rest of that side of the family) feel about it.

I wouldn't take all 12 kids to a laundry mat. When my washer or dryer would break, I wouldn't even take my 3. Its not like they couldn't leave a couple adults at home and maybe take one or two of the older kids with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!