Member Cruises - Are they worth it?

I am a platinum Castaway Club member and DVC owner. I have been on one DVC Member Cruise and loved it. It was so different from the other Disney cruises I’ve been on and I felt it was worth the extra price. My members cruise was on the Dream in July 2018. The cruise felt a lot like going to a D23 convention. There were lots of special presentations throughout the cruise. The highlight was getting to meet Roy O. Disney! We also got to keep the menus from the restaurants which is normally not allowed and we got at least 2 gifts per day in our stateroom. The cruise also had a lot less kids then I normally see on other Disney cruises. The cost does include gratuity as well. I would love to go on more DVC Member cruises in the future.

Are you referring to Roy P. Disney? Grandson of Roy O.? Roy O. died in 1971, Roy E. his son in 2009. Roy P. Disney is the son of Roy E. and grandson of Roy O.

Are you referring to Roy P. Disney? Grandson of Roy O.? Roy O. died in 1971, Roy E. his son in 2009. Roy P. Disney is the son of Roy E. and grandson of Roy O.
Yes sorry it was a typo. Roy P. Disney was on our cruise. There are 4 generations of Roy Disney’s!

Been a DVC owner since 2009 and so totally wanted to do a member cruise, in 2017 we booked the 7 day member cruise. It is by far the Best on ship experience of any cruise we had been on. So if you are a Disney Fan as my wife and I are, definitely recommend at least once. As others have said, it is pricey so most likely a one and done for us. That being said, doing another regular Disney Cruise coming up this May with my youngest and 2 grandkids. I am a hopeless (maybe pathetic) Disney fanatic.

I have to say, after watching the DVC episode, I checked the Member site and was a little surprised at the pricing ...I didn't think it was that bad. Less than I was thinking -expensive sure, but something I'd consider. I'm not a cruiser but have recently been thinking of booking something. Have they always offered a cash option on these cruises? Points are such a bad value, I could rent my points and apply the cash to the cost.....

I have to say, after watching the DVC episode, I checked the Member site and was a little surprised at the pricing ...I didn't think it was that bad. Less than I was thinking -expensive sure, but something I'd consider. I'm not a cruiser but have recently been thinking of booking something. Have they always offered a cash option on these cruises? Points are such a bad value, I could rent my points and apply the cash to the cost.....
They have always had a cash price as well as point price ever since we first booked a MC. That was in 2005.
You have to pay full price for the cruise when you book, so that’s a consideration if you plan to rent the points.

i really think it comes down to has disney burned you out with the costs of these vacations. if i had (i don't know how to nicely say but the term is) F you money then yes i would go on every members cruise bc they do have some really cool things on their but i wont speak for everyone but i dont have that kind of money to pay a premium on top of premium for a DVC cruise. if you have the cash to drop 10-25k on a member's cruise awesome you will have a great time and dont rip anyone for it. if your going to look at it for value don't their is none. Gifts every night in your room that maybe cost 100 bucks over the week. they don't have "panels" every single day my parents went on NYC (FYI you can use your membership to send a family member if you don't want to go or at least in 2016 you could) one in 2016 and they had 3 on the sea day and repeated it the 2nd sea day and they were cool but again if your looking for value of course its not worth it. this is all relative to how big your bank account is and how you feel about spending it. some of us have to take a look hard look at these prices and decide. i know everyone would be all about these if we were spending someone else's money. you can have a major arguments on these threads on the value of all things Disney and as time goes on its getting harder and harder to justify these vacations to myself when their are other options. so i personally dont think they are worth it i wish member's would stop booking them and maybe DVC would keep these prices inline but if someone wanted to pay for me i would go on it no questions asked and love every second.

They have always had a cash price as well as point price ever since we first booked a MC. That was in 2005.
You have to pay full price for the cruise when you book, so that’s a consideration if you plan to rent the points.

Thanks -never realized about the cash option, but then again I never really looked into it. I would just pay for the cruise -if I rent the points, I rent them -I meant that as more of a comparison to value of points renting vs. that of applying to a cruise. I have a relatively small contract, so using points makes zero sense.

Hey Pete! We’ve done one MC, and while it was there wasn’t anything wrong with it (had a great time), I wouldn’t rush back to do it again, considering the money/point costs. The presentations were good...but the price was steep, especially when there were 5 of us. We are one cruise away from platinum, and prefer to do normal DCL Sailings from here on out.

The key when asking "worth it" for anything is to define "it."

It depends on what you value, and what the actual personal cost is (in time, money, trade-offs). The added expense can mean much different things to different people based on their incomes, time off availability, family size, other things going on that make demands on time/treasure.
Exactly. It depends on criteria. To some, the main criteria is the cost which is above and beyond the normal for an already premium cruise experience. Nothing wrong with that. To others, it's the friends they make, and to even more, it's the seminars/classes/meet and greets. Comparative value is also a worthwhile criteria--if someone feels the cost ratio has risen while the quality of services AND products has fallen, it's worth noting. In the end, one has to decide the ultimate "worth it" value by listening to the good and the bad (including cost). ;)

Thanks Pete for starting this thread! I have been intrigued by Member Cruises for quite some time, but have never been able to take advantage since they are typically scheduled during the school year. When I saw this year's Fall Member Cruise out of NYC to Bermuda fell during Fall Break, I decided this was the year to go and make my own decision if they are worth the extra cost. We are Platinum Castaway Club members but admit that we are staying in a lower cabin category than we usually chose due to the higher cost of the Member Cruise. We don't plan to stay in the room as much as we are expecting lots of special events to keep us occupied. Also, as Platinum CC members, we are always looking for something we haven't done yet and this MC is going to bermuda where we haven't been yet so the stars aligned so I bit the bullet.

Thank you to all those who have cruised on a MC previously for sharing your thoughts. Your insight, whether pro or con, is appreciated. I will definitely do the same after we sail in October and I have formed my own opinions.

Last edited:
Hey Pete,

Great thread & DVC show on this topic. [Love the DVC Show]

Hoping to do a Members Cruise in the future.

Hi to your Mom...

Robin & Angel "D"

In the past years the MC's seemed to sell out almost immediately (I think...). This year, they still haven't sold out. I wonder if they are hitting the limit of how much more people are willing to pay for these.

It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend with next year's Alaska MC. In 2015, it was the week after we got out of school (5/29). This year, while we would LOVE to go, we will have been back in school for 3 weeks when this sailing occurs in late August (though I suppose it may work better for Northern Schools).

We are going to taper our sorrows by doing one of the Greek Isles cruises instead :)

It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend with next year's Alaska MC. In 2015, it was the week after we got out of school (5/29). This year, while we would LOVE to go, we will have been back in school for 3 weeks when this sailing occurs in late August (though I suppose it may work better for Northern Schools).

We are going to taper our sorrows by doing one of the Greek Isles cruises instead :)
Enjoy those beautiful Greek Islands!
I hoping this does not sell out right away. I want to see just how well I can travel without DH. In October, I’m sailing with a friend on the Bermuda MC, if it works out, I just may book the Alaska cruise with another friend. I have limited mobility.

OK, the posters here who have mentioned all of the positive things about member cruises have prompted me to take one more look at the Alaskan cruise on August 24, 2020.

For comparison, we are currently already booked on the Alaskan cruise that departs the following week. We booked a Category 5B for about $6,320 (2 adults).

The cash rate for the member cruise is $5,419 x 2 = $10,838. That a premium of over 70%! And unless I'm missing something, it also says that full payment is required at the time of the reservation!

Now it might not be fair compare the member cruise to the one that departs a week later (since prices would be expected to drop anyway). If I compare the cost for the member cruise to the cruise that departs the week before (i.e. on August 17, 2020), the comparison is not as stark. The cost for 2 adults in Cat 5B for that cruise reportedly started off at $8,980. So we're only talking about 20% premium.

If I average the cost of the cruise before and after the member cruise to estimate how much it would have cost if it hadn't been a member cruise, the premium comes out to be somewhere around 40%.

Considering the high cost of the Disney cruises already (which actually pushed us out of the summer season and into the shoulder season), this is too much for us. We'll pass.

P.S. If it looks like I made any mistakes with the above analysis, please let me know. Thanks!

Wow, sounds awesome! Eldest son and DIL honeymooned:love: in the Santarini Islands and Mykanos this past summer, the pictures were breathtaking. Amazing, ENJOY!:goodvibes

OK, the posters here who have mentioned all of the positive things about member cruises have prompted me to take one more look at the Alaskan cruise on August 24, 2020.

For comparison, we are currently already booked on the Alaskan cruise that departs the following week. We booked a Category 5B for about $6,320 (2 adults).

The cash rate for the member cruise is $5,419 x 2 = $10,838. That a premium of over 70%! And unless I'm missing something, it also says that full payment is required at the time of the reservation!

Now it might not be fair compare the member cruise to the one that departs a week later (since prices would be expected to drop anyway). If I compare the cost for the member cruise to the cruise that departs the week before (i.e. on August 17, 2020), the comparison is not as stark. The cost for 2 adults in Cat 5B for that cruise reportedly started off at $8,980. So we're only talking about 20% premium.

If I average the cost of the cruise before and after the member cruise to estimate how much it would have cost if it hadn't been a member cruise, the premium comes out to be somewhere around 40%.

Considering the high cost of the Disney cruises already (which actually pushed us out of the summer season and into the shoulder season), this is too much for us. We'll pass.

P.S. If it looks like I made any mistakes with the above analysis, please let me know. Thanks!
Seems $$$. We haven't been on one since becoming members 11 years ago. Maybe in our future, but seems $$, would pay cash and not points.:scared1:Haven't looked at pricing carefully, but don 't know if I would be willing to pay the "premium" of even 20% for a members cruise. :scratchin

Evidently many people find the MC well worth it. The cruise went on sale Saturday, April 6 and by Sunday morning April 7, it is sold out.

We’ve always talked about doing a dvc member cruise, but couldn’t get past the price. We like cruising and now average 3-4 cruises a YEAR now (we are not Florida residents). We always crunch the dvc numbers and decided more cruises always win. We have many cruises booked, but will jump on a last minute cruise just on a whim. I know we must drive our DU TA crazy at times. So pretty sure we’ll never do a member cruise. Just got off a b2b in February, jumping on a OGT next month and still have 4 more cruises booked..... I’m still spending my dvc points at the resorts, which usually are a week before or after a cruise. Life is good - but short,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter