Memorial Day Week Tropical Storm? Local help, please?

Delilah1310

DIS Veteran
Hi all.
My local news here in Texas was going on about a massive Tropical Storm that is going to ruin Florida all Memorial Day Weekend.
We head to Florida Monday and stay for 7 days ... so I went to check the weather forecasts.

Not used to seeing these kinds of projection maps, I'm not really sure what I am seeing?
The daily forecasts have 80 to 90% thundershowers for Lake Buena Vista (WDW) for several days, other days that say around 40%.

What does all this really mean?
Rain all day or the normal pop-up shower here and there, but just more likely?
And what will this mean for park time?

What is the best way to get current weather forecasts about storms - anything different that my usually check of Weather.com?

thanks in advance!
- Nancy

What it means is that they still really don't know where the system is going to go. Some models put it heading further west, some further east. If it takes a path toward WDW, then yeah, it'll be a "washout". But don't let it dampen your spirits. Have a poncho, accept the fact you'll get somewhat wet and have fun with it. The parks won't close, just some rides that can't run in that weather.

There is not a tropical storm yet. The rainy system they are referring to is actually right on the edge of the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. It only has rain and about a 30 mph wind associated with it. It has to be 39 mph with circulation to be a tropical storm. Where will it go? No one knows yet but it may bring some clouds and rain to Florida....or if it does get out in the center of the Gulf and get stronger it may actually pull rain away from Florida as it heads up towards Louisiana etc. Too early to know what it will bring, but if coming to Florida just plan things so you can avoid rain or venture out as long as there is no lightning in the area. It is not going to ruin my weekend:-)

As of this writing, the NWC put a 50% chance of development over the next 5 days. We live in central Florida and it seems from all the forecasts, it will be a rain soaker for days. It looks like the brunt of it will hit Saturday - Monday here.

I check Fox 35 Orlando as my local weather source.

ETA: They just updated to 80% of development over the next 5 days.

Last edited:

I'm in Central FL as well, (on the west coast though)last thing on the news I saw this morning had the system hitting somewhere in the gulf coast, like panhandle or LA. But Florida is going to be on the east side where most of the rain is. It stinks, I have a "toddlers first disney day" planned for Sunday and moving it is not an option. . .we are packing the ponchos and making the best of it.
For the most part with a tropical system, the rain will come in waves, with some time in between. I'd stick to MK on a rainy day, there's more indoor stuff to do.

Rain , rain and more rain predicted for lots of the Gulf coast for the weekend. Just watched the weather and this may be (most likely) the first named storm of the season. Not a pretty weather picture for any of us for the holiday weekend outdoors. 'This', on top of what we've had for more than a week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter