Men, when growing up and playing sports

Had to wear one for regular PE class back in the1960s in Jr. High. It was required.

Never owned a cup as a youth.

Bought one for the first time when I started umpiring in my son's little league when I was 41.

Last edited:
I am not a man, but felt compelled to click on the thread...I make my son wear a cup...for hockey. But it's not a strange apparatus but more like bike shorts with a cup in them?
same here. I made my son wear a cup for hockey too. Although its actually mandatory, so its not like we had much of a choice. But given a choice, i'd still make him wear it.

same here. I made my son wear a cup for hockey too. Although its actually mandatory, so its not like we had much of a choice. But given a choice, i'd still make him wear it.

Me too! They need all the protection they can get out there! They don't seem like they'd be as uncomfortable as the "regular" ones...

When I played baseball, I did if I were playing 1b / 3b in a given season. If I were mainly playing OF I didn’t.

Being female it wasn't required but I made my son wear one and my grandson definitely wears one. I remember the Little League Umpires making them do a "Cup" check before games when my son was younger. My grandson is a Pitcher/Catcher/Utility player and he has always worn one from the time he began travel ball. He was quite happy about that after a foul ball or two bounced that way. He is almost 21 and still plays and it is second nature to him now.

What I found odd was 2 of his team mates SHARING a cup. EWWW!!!!

Low blows and cheap shots aside, cups aren’t really needed in football and while we had to wear jocks, cups weren’t worn. If you are trying to take on contact in football standing straight up (exposing that area) you have bigger problems then being racked, although that’s a big problem.....Although with bodies flying around and dog piles etc, they could still get hit lol

You don’t wear a cup for basketball or track so some sports require and others don’t. Baseball, football, hockey require by regulation in school sports while basketball and cross country, etc of course do not.

It used to be common for a coach to hit you in the groin area to ensure you were wearing a cup in sports where required.
Even though this particular post was from 2019, I have to admit to a concern about the coach cup check. Seems a little strange to me. Where was that common?

Even though this particular post was from 2019, I have to admit to a concern about the coach cup check. Seems a little strange to me. Where was that common?

Well, not a cup check, but in junior high gym class the teacher would do random jockstrap checks.

I wore a cup while playing HS baseball and hockey.

Never played organized sports. Played plenty of backyard football, baseball, softball (ok, those 2 at the park), and lots and lots of hockey on the ponds. Never wore a cup.

Well, not a cup check, but in junior high gym class the teacher would do random jockstrap checks.

I wore a cup while playing HS baseball and hockey.
I'm talking more about the hitting (touching) the boys groin area. It might be just me, but nothing about that sounds right. Jockstrap checks do not require physical contact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!