Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

My check in was supposed to be on Sat. The cast member said that they were calling all Friday check in's (this was last night-Thurs when I spoke with her.) She went on to say, I would have been called today about my Sat check in if I had not called.

Our travel agent is on hold today for the FOURTH time trying to find out what is happening with our Saturday check-in for a campsite and a cabin. I'm not upset with the CM's or Guest Services because they are just doing their jobs, but corporate is going to be getting an earful from me when this is over. We are 48 hours from check-in for TWELVE people and still have no idea what is going on. This is not acceptable, especially when we know that people with check-in dates after ours have already been contacted and given their accommodations.

especially when we know that people with check-in dates after ours have already been contacted and given their accommodations.
This is probably the most frustrating part. Not sure what criteria the "incoming team" uses, but it does seem odd.

Still waiting for a call too, but leaving in a few hours for our Saturday check in anyway.

j

I talked with a CM this morning concerning the Hoop-De-Doo Revue re-opening date. She didn't have a clue whether the Fort would be associated with the same date so, she put me through to Dining Reservations ... they were clueless also with the same "Have a magical day" final response :-)

This is probably the most frustrating part. Not sure what criteria the "incoming team" uses, but it does seem odd.

Still waiting for a call too, but leaving in a few hours for our Saturday check in anyway.

j

Not looking good at this point. Our agent got finally got through and was told there are no rooms left, BUT someone is still going to call uher "hopefully today but by tomorrow morning". I am getting close to livid over this....and my husband will tell you that is a dangerous place for anyone in the frag radius.

We have no options to reschedule so I have a backup hotel room, but the entire plan for this trip was for our kids and grandkids to "stay in the middle of the magic"....which isn't so magical right now.

He is currently at MK and said there are lot of RVs parked there

1) Yep.
2) Fort guests are forced to park the RV's and the people are moved to another resort (aka: WDW hotel).
3) Today, THE FORT is not operating as a campground.
. . . The Fort is in "cleanup mode"
. . . although I am not there physically, my buddies tell me there is an army of bulldozers and dump trucks
. . . am going to drive there tomorrow (Friday, 9/15/2017) to see if I can get some "straight dope"
4) The "Disney Line" is a possible opening/reopening next week - that would be so great.
5) I am hoping this is true.
6) I would be so disappointed if some of the closing rumor was actually true.
. . . remember, the rumor being spread started as a Facebook post from a non-Fort-CM
. . . personally, I put little stock in rumors from such sources
7) I do not believe such a rumor, but had to mention it just to get it off-the-plate.
. . . if I didn't bring it/them up, someone would ask about it/them
. . . even if I could not address the rumor, one has to bring it up, so it can be dismissed
. . . as a retired company President and Managing Director, we always addressed rumors (even false ones) - if left unaddressed, rumors just festered

Not looking good at this point. Our agent got finally got through and was told there are no rooms left, BUT someone is still going to call uher "hopefully today but by tomorrow morning". I am getting close to livid over this....and my husband will tell you that is a dangerous place for anyone in the frag radius.

We have no options to reschedule so I have a backup hotel room, but the entire plan for this trip was for our kids and grandkids to "stay in the middle of the magic"....which isn't so magical right now.

Know it would be very disappointing not to have your plans working out, but hopefully you can still enjoy most things with your family there - not like being at FW, I know!

Having gone through many hurricanes over the years, and being impacted by them with tree damage, etc. I do know that Disney can't/couldn't do anything about it. With all the trees at FW, it's also very vulnerable to lots of damage. Think there were trees that hit some of the buildings also.
Know they are working non stop to get everything back in order as quickly as possible. They want to keep that revenue coming!!! :)

Know it would be very disappointing not to have your plans working out, but hopefully you can still enjoy most things with your family there - not like being at FW, I know!

Having gone through many hurricanes over the years, and being impacted by them with tree damage, etc. I do know that Disney can't/couldn't do anything about it. With all the trees at FW, it's also very vulnerable to lots of damage. Think there were trees that hit some of the buildings also.
Know they are working non stop to get everything back in order as quickly as possible. They want to keep that revenue coming!!! :)

Honestly it's not about plans not working out. We went through the hurricane too. We live in New Port Richey and until the last second we were expecting a category 3 or 4 storm to hit us. We knew that something might go wrong, but never expected that it would be what appears to be a totally mismanaged communication plan on Disney's part. People with check-in dates after ours have had their accommodations for 2 days and we're on our 10th phone call and probably 20+ hours in hold times still trying to get info 48 hours before we're due to check in. This is unacceptable regardless of the circumstances.

Ok Folks,

Just got this Email and it doesn't sound good:

September 2017

Dear Bennett Family,

We have an important update about your upcoming reservation at The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Irma.

If you wish to relocate to another Walt Disney World® Resort hotel or reschedule your trip, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can assist you by calling the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY.

We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to reassure you that any customary cancellation fees will be waived.

Thank you for your understanding and flexibility.

Sincerely,

Disney Destinations, LLC

Arrival Date: 9/18/2017

I know my issue is *far away* compared to a lot of you, but I'd like opinions. We have a cabin reservation for marathon weekend (january 3-8). We are a family of 6, so our lodging options are limited. This talk of closing the Fort completely worries me.
Our second choice would be a deluxe room at BWI. Because marathon weekend is popular, and it falls so close to the Christmas/New Years period this year, there is already very limited choice for a party of our size.

If you were in our shoes--would you go ahead and switch to the deluxe room at BWI now, while it it is still available? Or wait and hope they DO in fact re-open FW? The cost difference is not insignificant--$379/night for a cabin vs. $899/night for a deluxe room at BWI--so we'd really like to keep the cabin if possible. But if FW does close permanently, I'd hate to miss out on the BWI room because it sold out.

I know my issue is *far away* compared to a lot of you, but I'd like opinions. We have a cabin reservation for marathon weekend (january 3-8). We are a family of 6, so our lodging options are limited. This talk of closing the Fort completely worries me.
Our second choice would be a deluxe room at BWI. Because marathon weekend is popular, and it falls so close to the Christmas/New Years period this year, there is already very limited choice for a party of our size.

If you were in our shoes--would you go ahead and switch to the deluxe room at BWI now, while it it is still available? Or wait and hope they DO in fact re-open FW? The cost difference is not insignificant--$379/night for a cabin vs. $899/night for a deluxe room at BWI--so we'd really like to keep the cabin if possible. But if FW does close permanently, I'd hate to miss out on the BWI room because it sold out.

I'm no expert, but I do think they will reopen and I don't think now is the time to make any changes to your reservation unless you just really want to stay at BWI. I would wait out this coming week and see what happens.

Honestly it's not about plans not working out. We went through the hurricane too. We live in New Port Richey and until the last second we were expecting a category 3 or 4 storm to hit us. We knew that something might go wrong, but never expected that it would be what appears to be a totally mismanaged communication plan on Disney's part. People with check-in dates after ours have had their accommodations for 2 days and we're on our 10th phone call and probably 20+ hours in hold times still trying to get info 48 hours before we're due to check in. This is unacceptable regardless of the circumstances.

So sorry! :hug:

This is personal opinion, but if Disney made a snap judgment to close the Fort after seeing the storm damage, they would never have floated possible return dates. It just would have been "closed indefinitely", and then they would eventually get around to cancelling everyone's reservations.

Now, for your situation, if you want the peace of mind... why not book a separate backup reservation? Most likely, the Fort will be back up and running within a couple of weeks and you'll still be well within your cancellation window for your BWI reservation. Disney will just be holding on to your money for a while until the Fort reopens. 45 days (assuming a package) from 1/3 is the middle of November; if things about the Fort aren't cleared up by then... well, maybe we should worry.

Yes, I got the same email a couple of days ago ... but now, it appears that the re-open date of the 18th ain't gonna happen either. I am on the phone right now with a CM and she is telling me that the Fort might open sometime next week.

This is personal opinion, but if Disney made a snap judgment to close the Fort after seeing the storm damage, they would never have floated possible return dates. It just would have been "closed indefinitely", and then they would eventually get around to cancelling everyone's reservations.

Now, for your situation, if you want the peace of mind... why not book a separate backup reservation? Most likely, the Fort will be back up and running within a couple of weeks and you'll still be well within your cancellation window for your BWI reservation. Disney will just be holding on to your money for a while until the Fort reopens. 45 days (assuming a package) from 1/3 is the middle of November; if things about the Fort aren't cleared up by then... well, maybe we should worry.
We are booked end of October... I'm keeping my Fort reservation because there is no way it won't be ready by then. That's 6 weeks from now.

Yes, I got the same email a couple of days ago ... but now, it appears that the re-open date of the 18th ain't gonna happen either. I am on the phone right now with a CM and she is telling me that the Fort might open sometime next week.

The date we have for reopening is Sept 20. My gut tells me it won't be until the next week, but we'll see. Hopefully Rusty Scupper will be able to get in and give a real-time assessment tomorrow.

The date we have for reopening is Sept 20. My gut tells me it won't be until the next week, but we'll see. Hopefully Rusty Scupper will be able to get in and give a real-time assessment tomorrow.
My parents have a check in date of the 22nd (I think). Should be interesting to see if they make the 20th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter