Metrolink Question to get to San Diego Zoo

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
Hello and HELP! We are visiting from the east coast and doing Adventures By Disney and then staying few extra nights at Newport Beach. The Metrolink train line looks like beautiful scenery to San Diego Zoo. I tried plugging in my information to get a cost idea and am confused on fare. See how it shows 11.75 one way and then shows 10.00 weekend pass - what does the weekend pass mean? We are planning on a round trip one day on a Sunday in July....Seems to take a while to gt there though one hour and 26 minutes unless I am doing something wrong. Any help appreciated! all new to me...

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/trip...stom=1&to_custom=1&plantrip.x=52&plantrip.y=9

Metrolink only goes as far south as Oceanside. You'll probably need to transfer to Coaster (another hour plus wait time) at Oceanside to get to San Diego. It's a 3 zone fare ($5.50) or a $12 day pass that will give you access to other transportation in the San Diego area.

http://www.gonctd.com/wp-content/uploads/Schedules/Coaster-Schedule.pdf
http://www.gonctd.com/coaster-fares-and-passes
http://www.gonctd.com/coaster-zones

The Oceanside station is the south end of several Metrolink lines and the north end of Coaster. It also serves Amtrak (just the Pacific Surfliner) and Sprinter commuter rail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanside_Transit_Center

I think Amtrak California's Pacific Surfliner might be more convenient. That's $26 one way (Santa Ana-San Diego) for coach, but that's two hours with no transfer. You could also get a AAA discount if you book 3 days in advance. They also have cafe cars with food/beverages, although I think there's basic beverages and snacks included with the business class fare.

http://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

Hello and HELP! We are visiting from the east coast and doing Adventures By Disney and then staying few extra nights at Newport Beach. The Metrolink train line looks like beautiful scenery to San Diego Zoo. I tried plugging in my information to get a cost idea and am confused on fare. See how it shows 11.75 one way and then shows 10.00 weekend pass - what does the weekend pass mean? We are planning on a round trip one day on a Sunday in July....Seems to take a while to gt there though one hour and 26 minutes unless I am doing something wrong. Any help appreciated! all new to me...

I looked it up. It's a $10 price that allows you anywhere on Metrolink and several other public transportation options. It doesn't include Coaster.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/news/promotions_detail/title/Weekend_Pass

The Weekend Day Pass offers free connectivity to most rail or bus throughout Southern California. For example, after you purchased your Weekend Day Pass and took Metrolink from Irvine to downtown LA, you can board the subway at Union Station and ride all the way to Hollywood and Highland for free! The Weekend Day Pass does not allow for free transfers to the Coaster and other transit systems in San Diego county.

From Santa Ana to San Diego is going to take a while. On a weekend, the earliest train would be the Metrolink 857 (Inland Empire - Orange County line) - 8:48-10:20 AM. Then you would need to take Coaster 684 - 11:07-12:10.

There's also the ability to get on certain Amtrak California Pacific Surfliner trains with a valid Coaster ticket. They won't be the early morning trains though. Metrolink monthly tickets are valid on Pacific Surfline though.

If you're looking for a whole day at the San Diego Zoo, then Amtrak might be your best option. You can arrive in San Diego at 9 AM.

Thank you so much!!! so I understand you correctly is is approx. 50.00 per person round trip say from Newport Beach to San Diego for the day x 3 people so 150 for transportation alone? Ugh. That is more than I thought. Not impossible but to your point I can get there at 9 AM via Amtrak. I saw the Metrolink and Amtrak and scenery looks BEAUTIFUL. My husband would enjoy that, big train buff. WEll having that is the zoo worth 300 (including admission?)....Are there other things to do via this train that would be enjoyable for the day? THANK YOU!!!

Thank you so much!!! so I understand you correctly is is approx. 50.00 per person round trip say from Newport Beach to San Diego for the day x 3 people so 150 for transportation alone? Ugh. That is more than I thought. Not impossible but to your point I can get there at 9 AM via Amtrak. I saw the Metrolink and Amtrak and scenery looks BEAUTIFUL. My husband would enjoy that, big train buff. WEll having that is the zoo worth 300 (including admission?)....Are there other things to do via this train that would be enjoyable for the day? THANK YOU!!!

From Newport Beach? You'd either need to drive or take the bus Santa Ana or Irvine. My quick check is that the bus takes maybe two hours and two transfers just to get to the train station but about 20 minutes driving time. If you're looking to take in the San Diego Zoo for three, you're really better off driving from Newport Beach. Amtrak from Irvine-San Diego would be $120 round-trip, but 10% off if you have AAA and book early.

You could use the Metrolink weekend pass and go north. Maybe Hollywood or Burbank?. You'd have access to all trains, light rail, and bus lines in Orange County and Los Angeles County. You would end up spending a lot of time just on transportation though. Public transportation in Southern California is abysmal unless you happen to be really close to a train station. It really is a car culture.

THANK YOU. You have talked me into staying At Newport Beach! I figure Balboa Island one day and any suggestion for the following day? Laguana or ???? I can use UBER to get around reasonably close but looking for something to do for a day that would be reasonable to Newport Beach area

If you want to do San Diego I would look into changing your return flight and leave from San Diego. Then you could just do Amtrak 1 way. There are trolley stops near the train stops, but the trolley doesn't go to the zoo. You would probably need to do a taxi or rent a car to add that.

I just wanted to clarify that Amtrak from Irvine to San Diego is $24 one way coach fare and a child under 16 is half that. So three would be $120. That was my primary assumption.

However, if you don't have a car it's going to be a huge issue getting from Newport Beach to the train station. If it's on a weekday you'll have more (and most importantly earlier) options for Metrolink and Coaster, but you won't have access to their weekend all-day passes. They have more options because commuters will probably want to get to work by a certain time.

You're much better off driving to San Diego. The drive is easy, just as pretty as the train (it follows nearly the exact same route), and you'll save time on both ends by not having to wait for taxis to get to the station in Irvine, and to the Zoo in San Diego.

:If you are going anytime during July 8-12, make alternate plans. This is Comic Con weekend, and traffic on roads and trains is appalling, you won't be able to get near the zoo without a LOT of sitting in gridlock.:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter