MGM Shows for Kids -- Your opinions?

soccerchick

Dis Veteran<br><font color=red>My husband has rice
Hi -- we will only have half a day to spend at MGM and I want to take DD, age 2 to some of the shows. Since I have so little time, which shows would you try to see first?

Based on what I've read, I was thinking doing the shows in this order: Beauty and the Beast, Playhouse Disney, Little Mermaid, and then, if time, Jim Henson's Muppets. I've heard the muppet show can be scary for little ones. Anyone experience this?

Thanks for your input:)

my niece who is five was actually scared, it is
dark and loud at one point w/ cannon or something going
off

she was also very afraid of a bug's life

each kid is different though

Playhouse Disney should be the "must see". Then I would suggest Little Mermaid simply because the show schedule may be more convenient and frequent than Beauty and the Beast and it's right across from Playhouse Disney. For MGM, often the most time is spent waiting for a show.

I don't know when you are planning to go, but you may want to check entertainment schedules. I've heard that Disney has cut back on the frequency of some shows. In fact, it may even be a situation where Beauty and the Beast isn't running for an entire day.

Sharon

All of these shows are great for the kids

Playhouse Disney
Little Mermaid (I actually think that the Ursula part is scarier than anything in Muppets)
Muppets - my kids weren't scared at all
Beauty
Hunchback

I agree with your choices for the kids. The Litlle Mermaid show is not very frightening, but definitely prepare your child for the dark. The "cavern" theater is very dark, and my daughter wanted to leave right away!

Our DD who was 2 1/2 loves Beauty and hte Beast movie but was bored to tears watching the show. she loved Little Mermaid and Muppets. Playhouse disney was not htere then. It was Bear i nthe big blue house. At the time she had never watched the show so she really didn't get into it either. If your DD is use to watching movies in a theatre she should be ok with Muppets. If the effects get to her just take the 3 D glasses off.

I too agree with putting the other shows above the 'muppet movie.' The issue isn't so much that it's scary, but I think a lot of young kids miss a lot because it's a little "above them" and most young kids aren't willing to wear the 3D glasses long enough to get anything out of it. We've gone a couple times with young kids.....most recently in June my kids were 8, just turned 4 and almost 2. It's actually the oldest who always ends up liking it (even though asked in advance he'd put it low on his list.) He's the one who sits there and laughs hysterically.....even at the pre-show. Net, I'd skip it this time but be sure to check it out sometime in the future even if you dd/ds thinks they're now too big for it.

Have a great trip!

ditto the above suggestions that your highest priority shows should be Mermaid and Playhouse (the most young child-oriented), then Beauty (presentation is not as interesting for young children as the first 2), and then Muppets.

Our daughter was just shy of 2 the first time she went to MGM and loved all the shows! And I am very glad we caught the muppets 3D on that trip because she laughed her little butt off!!! She just thought the little bird guy that zooms around was hilarious, more-so on that trip then any time after that.

My daughter was almost 2 on our last visit. She loved Playhouse Disney most, followed by Little Mermaid. She was not as interested in the stage shows as I though she would be, in spite of her love for all things musical and dance oriented...

Another thought is which half of the day will you be there. When we were there last week a lot of the shows did not start running till late morning. If you will be there early in the day, it might be hard to get very many shows worked in.Also Beauty and the Beast was not plaing that day. I saw quite a few toddlers upset in a lot of the shows. You may want to read the descriptions well and make your decision from that.I found MGM less toddler friendly than Epco but that is just my opinon.

Jordan's mom

followed by Muppets and Hunchback - this is just what my child enjoys the best.

:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter