Michelle Carter Trial (MA) Verdict announced Friday 11 AM

kitkat2409: We are shown a photo of Conrad Roy, dead. Family members weep and comfort each other. #MichelleCarter

9: Press is sitting behind Michelle Carter (in gallery), so it's difficult to gauge her reaction, if any. #wcvb

orreia identifies the phone that Conrad Roy III had on him when he died. #MichelleCarter

These text messages are horrifying all the way around....there is no other way to read them other then she fully intended to encourage him to kill himself, and was not going to relent until he did.....That being said, I dont know exactly what law she broke?

These text messages are horrifying all the way around....there is no other way to read them other then she fully intended to encourage him to kill himself, and was not going to relent until he did.....That being said, I dont know exactly what law she broke?

I struggle with this too. In some ways I think this amounts to coercion and abuse, but she didn't coerce him like "kill yourself or I'm going to kill your little sister." But it still feels heaps wrong.

Well the District Attorney's office will not bring a case to court if they didn't think they had something to prosecute and win.
I'm sure there was probable cause hearings as well, a judge would have thrown it out before a trial if there wasn't some kind of law she has broken, IMO.

Those texts she wrote are horrible and disgusting. He was her sacrificial lamb in winning sympathies from girls she wanted to be friends with and to get attention from others as some kind of victim. I hope she is found guilty. I'm confidant the judge will follow the law and if she deserves jail time, he will see she gets it.

I struggle with this too. In some ways I think this amounts to coercion and abuse, but she didn't coerce him like "kill yourself or I'm going to kill your little sister." But it still feels heaps wrong.

When the state attorney said, he got out of the car and called her and she coerced him back into the car, I wanted to vomit. What kind of a human being is she? He was scared and suffering and she only thought to talk him back into the vehicle. :sad2:

I can't imagine being a mom and seeing all those texts from this girl to him to do away with himself. Someone needs to ask her if someone did this to her how would her mom feel. But she needs accountability

I remember being in Massachusetts shortly after it happened and wishing I could find out what happened. So glad I can follow it here!

When the state attorney said, he got out of the car and called her and she coerced him back into the car, I wanted to vomit. What kind of a human being is she? He was scared and suffering and she only thought to talk him back into the vehicle. :sad2:
Yep. Stopping yourself halfway through a suicide attempt, speaking to your girlfriend because you're scared -- that isn't exactly behavior showing absolute clarity of mind in the decision to kill yourself. It's a cry for help, or at least very real uncertainty about going through with it.

She will win no jury sympathy at all.
Unlike Casey Anthony & O.J. Simpson, unfortunately. You have to wonder about juries...but judges have their issues, too, because the whole case then rides on only one person's opinions & politics.

What does everybody else think? If you're aware that somebody is suicidal and you repeatedly encourage them (but also try to encourage them to get professional help, apparently), are you at fault?

I agree with some PP that this case should not be prosecuted. Her boyfriend was an adult, and people have the right to free speech, even if that speech is nonsupportive or immoral. You can't turn every immoral action or word into a crime, unless you want to live in a police state or Saudi Arabia. She'll be held accountable by God.

Last edited:
9: Roy was alone, gas-powered generator in the back of the truck, cellphone in his waistband. #michellecarter

Are they back from lunch? Was supposed to start at 2 PM but I can't find it anywhere.

I agree with some PP that this case should not be prosecuted. Her boyfriend was an adult, and people have the right to free speech, even if that speech is nonsupportive or immoral. You can't turn every immoral action or word into a crime, unless you want to live in a police state or Saudi Arabia. She'll be held accountable by God.
Yeah, maybe. I'm sure his family would prefer her to be held accountable in her lifetime on earth though.

People absolutely have the right to free speech, and to endure the consequences of that speech. This is kind of the issue with extreme bullying in schools, right? They're trying to figure out, if a kid is horribly bullied and commits suicide, what can they do (if anything) about the students who, in part, drove that kid to kill themselves?

(I really don't have the answers to any of that. It's extremely complicated. Morally, I feel confident saying this is unacceptable behavior, but legally we're all free to behave unacceptably. Within the confines of law ;) )

Yeah, maybe. I'm sure his family would prefer her to be held accountable in her lifetime on earth though.

People absolutely have the right to free speech, and to endure the consequences of that speech. This is kind of the issue with extreme bullying in schools, right? They're trying to figure out, if a kid is horribly bullied and commits suicide, what can they do (if anything) about the students who, in part, drove that kid to kill themselves?

(I really don't have the answers to any of that. It's extremely complicated. Morally, I feel confident saying this is unacceptable behavior, but legally we're all free to behave unacceptably. Within the confines of law)
1. I'm sure his family blames her, but the man is the one who committed suicide. She didn't kill him. He bears responsibility for his own life and choices. He was an adult.

2. Schools have a responsibility to monitor and curtail bullying as much as possible. (I'm a teacher, fyi.) If it is allowed to get blatantly out of hand, parents can sue the school for negligence, but that won't make either the school or the bullies legally guilty of homicide if the victim decides to commet suicide.

I'm sure his family blames her, but the man is the one who committed suicide. She didn't kill him. He bears responsibility for his own life and choices. He was an adult.
Why do you think she will be held accountable by God then?

As far as being an adult... yeah... he's 18. Legally someone can go join the military then. Developmentally the brain is not quite mature.

Schools have a responsibility to monitor and curtail bullying. (I'm a teacher.) If it is allowed to get blatantly out of hand, parents can sue the school for negligence, but that won't make either the school or the bullies guilty of homicide.
True, they do; and yes, maybe that's not homicide. But involuntary manslaughter is not an unreasonable charge to pursue in that situation (against the school, if they have the duty to act for the bullied).

Why do you think she will be held accountable by God then?.
Because it was immoral and wrong for her to encourage him to commit suicide. She should be held morally accountable for encouraging him. Nevertheless, he (and not her) is accountable for actually committing suicide. He did the act, no one forced him to do it, and he is responsible for it. She encouraged it, which is immoral, but verbal encouragement should not be illegal in a country that believes in free speech & the right to share an opinion. It should not become illegal to say, "I don't see what you have to live for", even though it is morally repugnant.

A parallel would be, if a guy was considering cheating on his wife, and his best friend strongly encouraged him to do it. The cheater is still totally responsible for his own actons, but the friend bears moral responsibility for encouraging him to do the wrong thing.

Same thing goes for taking drugs, getting involved in crime, etc. Peer pressure is typically a factor in these, but nevertheless, the person who actually commits the crime is the one held legally responsible. Not the friends who pressured him or her to go down the wrong path.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter