Michelle Carter Trial (MA) Verdict announced Friday 11 AM

Have you read the text exchanges between Michelle and Roy?
Its not that she doesn't do anything but push him to do it over and over.
The texts are horrendous, she is a sick girl. I hope they can give her some mental help after this no matter how it ends.

I did, and I agree that she is a sick girl but that doesn't change my mind about her being on trial and what a guilty verdict would mean.

I think a judge facing election would be more likely to tow political lines, here if they don't want to, no consequences. Why they are lifetime
It's not neccessarily about towing a line or aiming for reelection (or even appointment to a higher court, which is something you might not have considered). It's the judge's genuinely held political convictions that can influence his or her decisions the most.

It's not neccessarily about towing a line or aiming for reelection (or even appointment to a higher court, which is something you might not have considered). It's the judge's genuinely held political convictions that can influence his or her decisions the most.

As my DH says when no point in arguing - K

A pp mentioned suicide being illegal, but that isn't true in every state. There is no federal law against suicide either.
Assisted suicide is different.

Quoting doesn't seem to be working for me.

Regarding a jury vs a bench trial. She chose correctly IMHO. She's unlikable, and those tweets are despicable. Too much opportunity for an emotional response by jurors, who may be parents themselves. A judge has the education and experience behind him/her, and in this particular case, will be more likely to not be caught up in the emotions. Of course that doesn't mean he's infallible. That's why there is an appeals process and higher courts to review cases, if necessary. Everything isn't black and white in court cases. A blanket statement suggesting that a judge appointed by a politician is therefore influenced by politics in his or her decision is quite frankly a little bizarre.

I was shocked to read upthread a "blame the parents" type of comment. That if he had so many issues, that it must've had something to do with his upbringing. Can't quote, so exactly what the comment was, I'm not sure. The BEST families can have histories of depression. Depression can come from various sources, including chemical imbalances. I'm sure EVERY parent feels a certain amount of guilt when a child commits suicide, but geez, cut them a break. The fact that he committed suicide does NOT mean his parents failed him.

As far as involuntary short-term commitments...the fact that he committed suicide does not mean that he OBVIOUSLY showed people that he was a danger to himself. He had been hospitalized on more than one occasion before he turned 18. He didn't want to go back, and he had that right. The bar is, and should be, set pretty high to take away someone's rights. We don't really know the extent of his expressing a desire to harm himself to the people who may have been able to have him committed...his parents. Michelle Carter seems to be the one he shared that with to a large extent, and she took that and encouraged it, to a shocking extent. If his parents had the same information she did, he may have been hospitalized against his will, but I don't know the criteria. And if she hadn't basically "egged him on" continuously and relentlessly until he followed through, the opportunity may have presented itself for him to get further help.

Do I think this case should have gone to trial? I don't know. Obviously those here who are sure it should not, studied it more intently than I, including pre-trial hearings and all the evidence. I'm going to go with this...a decision was made, based on evidence and hearings, and the education and experience of a judge, despite his political opinions and appointments, that there was enough merit to move forward with the case, and that there are checks and balances in our justice system to lead, as hopefully there are in ALL cases, to a fair trial, and if necessary, a fair decision in an appeal.

I don't believe that bringing this to trial and a conviction, if it does, will bring us to a downward spiral to a police state. This is an extreme case. If she is convicted...and I'm not saying I think she should be (the 'ol "I haven't heard all the the evidence" thing)...it will be hotly debated for years to come. I'm sure there are many lawyers and law students watching this one.

The End. :)

I think when we came into the age of the internet and social media we knew it was going to change a lot of things about the way our laws were set up. Here in MA we had a prime example with the bullying law that took effect in or around 2010. Previously bullying laws included only things that happened in school or on school property. The newer law considered bullying by electronics, which could occur even off of school grounds and negatively affect someone's right to an education. This may be one of those things, too, idk. But as a pp pointed out, it could well set precedent, at least in one area. We still have so many other areas to cover in this age of electronics. It will take a long time and many cases to try to keep on top of them all. But I think they had to go forward with this one to see how it would pan out. What they used to go on, idk, but hopefully by the end we'll learn a lot more. FWIW I do think that politics can play a part in all of this as well. Perhaps especially in MA.

If he had started to kill himself on the eve of his 18th birthday, then finally died at 1:00 AM on his birthday, would that matter to anyone? Do I think people should try to hold 18 year olds to the standard of adulthood, because they need to grow up?--yeah. It's part of the process of maturing
A person who reaches their 18th birthday has already been alive for a full 18 years and is now in their 19th year of existence.
Also, suicide is still against the law.
There is no law in Massachusetts against - or in fairness, for - suicide.
It wasn't like she was to young to know better.
Interesting that a number of posters are indicating 18 year old Roy wasn't mature enough to make the decision to commit suicide, but 17 year old Carter was old enough to know better.
Yes, every judge's decisions are influenced by his or her political beliefs. That's reality.
Wow. Reality is each judge's decisions are based on his or her education, experience, and interpretation of the laws as written.
would be more likely to tow political lines,
Tow them where? ;)

Yesterday, we heard contrasting opening statements. The state said Carter caused Conrad Roy's suicide for attention. #Carter

oday, the prosecution expects to call friends of Michelle Carter to the stand

s: One of those friends, Samantha Boardman, is at the center of the prosecutions case.

Carter allegedly texted Boardman saying she urged Roy on the phone to return to his truck as it filled with carbon monoxide.

:
DBuBmtwV0AEgnhy.jpg:large
Michelle Carter arrives for day 2 of trial. Yesterday, prosecutors showed texts she sent Conrad Roy's mom offering comfort after his suicide

Testimony resumes in the Michelle Carter trial. The Court will go on a view this afternoon.

: Allie Eithier now on witness stand at #Taunton Texting Trial. She knew defendant Michelle Carter at a summer camp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!