Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway .... A Thought

I didn’t like the new mickey animation at first but after watching a couple of the new shorts on YouTube, the animation is starting to grow on me.
I was one of the vocal opponents of this animation, in one of the threads, but I'm becoming more accustomed to it, too.

I think Mickey is such a founding part of Disney, but there never was a real story that was obvious for a ride. Sorcerer's Apprentice is probably the closest actual Mickey movie that would have made for a dark ride or thrill ride, but Sorcerer Mickey is used in so many areas of the Parks that it would have felt restricting to tie it to just another ride in MK. I think almost from the beginning Mickey was meta Disney World, uggh that hurt to type but it gets the idea across pretty well, instead of just a character. And I think his ubiquitous nature in WDW, which is kind of unique to him, resisted any simple attraction. So I don't think there was really a desire to, maybe, pigeon hole? Mickey into a ride unless the perfect opportunity came around.

With DHS going through a rebrand, and the Sorcerer's Hat coming down, and the centerpiece of the Chinese Theater coming open, I think there was that perfect opportunity to build Mickey a showcase without pigeonholing him into, say, a corner of MK. The prestige of the location and the lack of really anything else "Mickey" in DHS made for a really good marriage for the first time in the Parks. Mickey gets the place of honor, the ride at the center of it all, and that's kind of what he deserves. Short of Spaceship Earth, where a Mickey ride would feel out of place, there wasn't a place grand enough for him before.

Kind of a hash of a post, as I reread it, but it's a hard concept for me to explain. He's just too big, too important, for just a ride. It needs to be THE RIDE at the center of a Park. Only DHS can give him that position.

Just building off what you said, he's been in so many stories, it's very different than the other dark rides in Fantasyland - like there is just one story for Snow White to tell, one for Pinocchio, etc. ... what would you tell for Mickey? It needs to be all of his stories (or a lot of them) and how he has evolved and just what he's meant to the company

Not sure - they definitely have had attractions (Philharmagic, Mickey Mouse Revue, etc.) but this would be the first actual ride

Technically, wouldn't "Mickey's Fun Wheel" be Mickey themed? I mean, it's very lightly themed, but still, if we're getting technical here.

Also, Philharmagic only had Mickey in the name, I'd say it's more Donald Duck themed.

Technically, wouldn't "Mickey's Fun Wheel" be Mickey themed? I mean, it's very lightly themed, but still, if we're getting technical here.

Also, Philharmagic only had Mickey in the name, I'd say it's more Donald Duck themed.

Though, that started as the Sun Wheel and then they added Mickey's head to it, so definitely pushing it to call it a Mickey ride I think

fair point of Philharmagic - guess one could consider Fantasmic! a Mickey attraction as he is the star and it is his his dream that we are seeing - so sub that instead :D

Though, that started as the Sun Wheel and then they added Mickey's head to it, so definitely pushing it to call it a Mickey ride I think

fair point of Philharmagic - guess one could consider Fantasmic! a Mickey attraction as he is the star and it is his his dream that we are seeing - so sub that instead :D

Oh, I admit it's weak, but just being super picky, haha! Mickey's presence is felt everywhere in the parks so it is odd to think that so few attractions feature him outside of meet & greets.

i think what disney means is that this is the first attraction themed specifically to mickey mouse's universe. in all the other attractions with mickey in them, they're themed to disney movies in general (fantasmic!, philharmagic, mickey mouse revue, etc). and i assume they don't count mickey's fun wheel since it's a very light retheme of the sun wheel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!