Mickey Lamp Posts

You can see my version of the plans here: http://www.carol-anne.ca/Mickey Lamp.htm

Finally after years of saying "I am going to make a Mickey lamp post"..... We are finally making ours. Thanks to CDNCruiser's instructions I used as a guide, we made several modifications and the progress is going way better than we thought. We could not find an 12" globe so we opted for a more expensive way for the large globe...... We bought a 14" globe that was already assembled, we hacked sawed off the attachment that mounts to a wall, we were able to use the housing assembly for the light and added an extender to raise the CFL bulb up higher to be in the center of mickeys head. For the ears tomorrow we are going to try a Y adapter so we can add two CFL bulbs for the ears, if that does not work we will do as CDNCruiser said in there instructions for the ears. We are using 60 watt CFL bulbs they do not get hot. We used a heavy metal black umbrella stand for the base. We used a dermel to cut out the holes for the ears we used a bit that was for plastic, that went great and it did not heat up and melt any plastic and no cracking. I can't wait for tomorrow to get the ears glued on and the lighting done for the ears. Then we will need another day to finish little stuff to have it complete. We used 8" globes for the ears, proportions for head and ears look great. I will post pics when we have it completed. I did spend more money than I was planning on the umbrella base was $29 and the 14" assembled globe was $59. Oh we used the thick heavy duty PVC 3" pipe.
Thank you CDNCruiser for going through such great efforts and photos of making a lamp post, that was a lot of work.

Finally after years of saying "I am going to make a Mickey lamp post"..... We are finally making ours. Thanks to CDNCruiser's instructions I used as a guide, we made several modifications and the progress is going way better than we thought. We could not find an 12" globe so we opted for a more expensive way for the large globe...... We bought a 14" globe that was already assembled, we hacked sawed off the attachment that mounts to a wall, we were able to use the housing assembly for the light and added an extender to raise the CFL bulb up higher to be in the center of mickeys head. For the ears tomorrow we are going to try a Y adapter so we can add two CFL bulbs for the ears, if that does not work we will do as CDNCruiser said in there instructions for the ears. We are using 60 watt CFL bulbs they do not get hot. We used a heavy metal black umbrella stand for the base. We used a dermel to cut out the holes for the ears we used a bit that was for plastic, that went great and it did not heat up and melt any plastic and no cracking. I can't wait for tomorrow to get the ears glued on and the lighting done for the ears. Then we will need another day to finish little stuff to have it complete. We used 8" globes for the ears, proportions for head and ears look great. I will post pics when we have it completed. I did spend more money than I was planning on the umbrella base was $29 and the 14" assembled globe was $59. Oh we used the thick heavy duty PVC 3" pipe.
Thank you CDNCruiser for going through such great efforts and photos of making a lamp post, that was a lot of work.

Wow . . . that sounds like a lot of work!

Be sure to post a picture of your masterpiece!

Actually it sounds like a lot of work but it took little time, 3-1/2 hours and it is 75% done. It was just more costly $$ my way. I will post when done.

Actually it sounds like a lot of work but it took little time, 3-1/2 hours and it is 75% done. It was just more costly $$ my way. I will post when done.

The last few I've built end up costing just a bit over $125 in materials.

That's about how much it cost me, around $120 each. Every one who see it wants me to build them one until I start adding up the material. Then their like ughh...

Yup . . . I get that a lot too!

I do sell the odd one now and then, but it's hardly a money-making proposition!

My lamp cost right about $200 that's because I went with an already assembled 14" globe that had all the wiring for the light and easily hacked saw off the stuff I did not need like the wall mount, etc that cost me $59 only because I wanted the head to be bigger could not find 12" globe, and the umbrella stand cost was more expensive than CDNCrusier's. It's worth the money $125-$200 will last a very long time. The little stuff adds up like the paint, glue, etc. Hoping to be able to work on finishing it tonight if not tomorrow night, only need to spend a few more hours on it. I will post pics when completed. I am having fun making it. :yay:

I have finally convinced my husband to make one of these for me and I should be getting it for Christmas! Keep your fingers crossed!:)

Have been seeing some really great color changing lamps here at the fort this week!

Look what I just found in the woods behind my house! I sense a project coming on!

532917_10152574160733579_9098074362726273348_n_zpscd90152d.jpg

Look what I just found in the woods behind my house! I sense a project coming on!

532917_10152574160733579_9098074362726273348_n_zpscd90152d.jpg

I think you are pulling our legs Traci. I bet you've been scouring garage and estate sales on the weekend for months.

:snooty: <humph> 《stomps his foot》

Bama Ed

Ps - cant wait to see how you decorate it. popcorn::

Too funny! I had actually looked on ebay for them but holy cow are they expensive! Never even thought to check out garage sales. I honestly did find it in the woods behind my house. My family has a 300+acre dairy farm and our little acre of land sits right in the middle of it. My daughter and I were out hunting pine cones and pretty leaves for fall crafts and walked right past it! There are 2 other ones out there, but in a different area, that I've known about for years but they were too rusted with too many holes. This one has some spots on the side that are lifting up and some holes in the bottom, but not too many to make it unusable.

I'm really liking the classic Mickey bottom so may go that route, but I think I want a pole that's a bit smaller than what I've been seeing. I want a more compact model.

Well looks like a trip to HD is in order so I can get mine built before our trip in March. Have seen one up here in Northeast PA at a state park. Love all the hints and tips on this board. :cool1:

Update: have the parts. Now to make Mickeys head. Wish me luck and will post pictures once it is done.

Woo Hoo !! Managed tonight to get the holes cut without cracking the globe. Glue the ears on tomorrow. Then to work on a base and post.

ok well, got ears glued on today. Worked on the electric a bit and working on painting the post. Tried to post a picture here of his head, but alas no luck.:artist:

well got Mickey's head all together and all wired up. Ears glow a little brown, guess is the acrylic is heavier in the smaller globes. Got the pipe ready and all I need now is a way to anchor the lamp and it will be ready for our trip to the Fort.

Ear seemed a bit dark, so I upgraded mickey's insides a bit. He got a new 60 watt LED for the main bulb, and a 25 watt LED bulb in each ear. He is bright and the LED's do not get hot. Love how he is looking now.

well got Mickey's head all together and all wired up. Ears glow a little brown, guess is the acrylic is heavier in the smaller globes. Got the pipe ready and all I need now is a way to anchor the lamp and it will be ready for our trip to the Fort.

Post some pictures when you finish it up.

Randy, use a very heavy and/or stable base. We used a 2 gallon water bucket filled with concrete. The lamp has blown over twice. Some of the cause is that we have hung posters on the cross bar, which makes a good sail. Both times the head has come off the pole and the ears came off the head. You can not believe how fast they can roll with a little wind behind them.

Randy, use a very heavy and/or stable base. We used a 2 gallon water bucket filled with concrete. The lamp has blown over twice. Some of the cause is that we have hung posters on the cross bar, which makes a good sail. Both times the head has come off the pole and the ears came off the head. You can not believe how fast they can roll with a little wind behind them.

I used a 25 lbs patio umbrella base I bought at Walmart. I haven't had it blow over yet.

I have finally convinced my husband to make one of these for me and I should be getting it for Christmas! Keep your fingers crossed!:)

Seems funny to quote myself but I got my Mickey lamp for Christmas and LOVE it! My hubby said it was actually cheaper to buy an existing lamp and gut it to use for the post and base. It came out so nice he made me THREE...one for the camper and two for my living room! They actually look like they were manufactured and everyone wants to know where they can buy one! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter