Mickey, Magic and M*sks- July 2020 Contemporary Crashers

Following along! Wow, to go from POR to Bay Lake Tower 2 BR!! Definitely magical. The heat, not so magical. Our feel like temps have been 110 here in central Fl. Be sure to stay hydrated! Looks like mostly a great day at MK.
It's just an unimaginable upgrade. But yes, the heat is intense. I had purchased some Liquid I.V packets before we came, but the kids don't like the taste. I need to pick up some more Powerade from the store as they are $4+ a pop in the parks. Overall it was a great day, I think we were there for maybe 5 1/2 hours, we got a lot accomplished.
Terrific report! So glad you felt better after the ice water and a rest! We're from Maine and feel your pain with the heat/humidity we hardly ever experience up here....and that tight spot on Big Thunder is already giving me anxiety - and I'm afraid I'm going to need some crisco to squeeze thru :crowded: ....
That room upgrade! WOW!WOW!WOW! :Pinkbounc
I've lived in South Louisiana for 13 years now, so I've gotten used to the heat a little. But I always joke that I wanted to become a nurse because they work in the A/C :rotfl: I'm blown away by the upgrade, feels like a dream.

It's just an unimaginable upgrade. But yes, the heat is intense. I had purchased some Liquid I.V packets before we came, but the kids don't like the taste. I need to pick up some more Powerade from the store as they are $4+ a pop in the parks. Overall it was a great day, I think we were there for maybe 5 1/2 hours, we got a lot accomplished.

I've lived in South Louisiana for 13 years now, so I've gotten used to the heat a little. But I always joke that I wanted to become a nurse because they work in the A/C :rotfl: I'm blown away by the upgrade, feels like a dream.

There are 2 Publix not too far from the Contemporary. My oldest ds lives very close to the Contemporary and shops at both. There's also a gas station just off Disney property that is usually a little cheaper than the one on Disney property.

Tuesday July 14th- First Magic Kingdom Day #1
I just want to start this by saying, I'm not sure if we will even want to come back to Disney World after this trip. I'm currently on the morning of day 2, and I'm just in awe.

We checked out of our offsite hotel at 11:00 and started the drive over to our home for the next 11 nights, Contemporary Resort. After the stress of work during the pandemic for both me and my husband, I had already decided this trip was going to be more laid back, more lie-ins, slowed down. I'm pretty bitter that my body is still waking up at 05:00 as if I'm going to work.

I took this picture at 11:51. I was a little teary that everything had come together and we were finally here!

View attachment 510339

It was still early, but I kept checking the Disney app to see if we had a room assignment yet. No such luck. We checked in with the guard and parked, ready for the walk over to Magic Kingdom. We used Athleta cloth masks today, they were very comfortable and pretty breathable as far as cloth masks go. We used a mosquito net over the stroller while our youngest was in it, and a chiffon masks while she was walking. They all tolerated them pretty well.

View attachment 510340

This is our first (and likely last) stay at the Contemporary Resort, but wow, I was blown away by how quick the walk was! There was a tent with temperature checks, very quick and easy, followed by a covered area with guards and a walk through security screener. It was very similar to airline screening. I set off the alarms with my bag, and they used a wand to pass over me and asked me to move things around in my bag while they had a look. Didn't take long and we were off.

As others have said, no fingerprints at the park entrance. Just tap your magic band and on your way.

It had rained a little on our walk over, but stopped soon after and stayed dry the rest of the day. We entered the park at 12:45. Crowds were very low, it's just a bizarre situation. My husband was a Florida Pass Holder back in the 1990's, and he said it's how he remembered Disney during the off-season days they would visit.

View attachment 510341

I'm not sure how I feel about the new castle colour. The old colour was so crisp, clean and cooling. I was probably just too hot. It's very pretty though.

View attachment 510346

We got to the Mad Tea Party at 13:19 and standby said 15 minutes. It was a walk-on (obviously). I think there was one other group on this rotation. I've had several ear surgeries and can't do spinny rides, my husband takes one for the team.

July 2020 vs May 2018.

View attachment 510347

View attachment 510349

Our first trip to Disney was planned for the middle of May in 2018 to take advantage of lower crowds before the summer fully kicked off. We thought it was good then :rotfl:
You have described a great experience in your post, so I don't understand your opening sentence stating 'I just want to start this by saying, I'm not sure if we will even want to come back to Disney World after this trip.'
I expected a tale of woe and disaster, but you seem to be having a wonderful time. (Important to me as I am also staying at the Contemporary this month.) I liked reading about your experiences and will be following your posts as you add to your story.

You have described a great experience in your post, so I don't understand your opening sentence stating 'I just want to start this by saying, I'm not sure if we will even want to come back to Disney World after this trip.'
I expected a tale of woe and disaster, but you seem to be having a wonderful time. (Important to me as I am also staying at the Contemporary this month.) I liked reading about your experiences and will be following your posts as you add to your story.
I’m waiting on a rider switch, so just wanted to address this. I may have phrased that initial sentence poorly. The waits so far on this trip are so ridiculously short, it’s hard to imagine back to “normal” with longer waits. Splash Mountain wait times today have been about 10 minutes, Seven Dwarves around 10 minutes too. The wait times are spoiling me for future visits, that was more my intention of that statement.

Enjoying your report, thank you for the detailed run down and yay for the awesome upgrade to a 2 bedroom at BLT!
I am an RN as well, Thank you for all your hard work!
I love how you use military time, reminds me of work, lol 😂

Amazing upgrade!! Glad you are having such a great time.. Its hotter than hell home in Louisiana now as well

This trip sounds absolutely wonderful!!! Congratulations on all the pixie dust!! I makes me soooooo happy to hear! I hope all the pixie dust continues for the rest of your trip. Now that you have experienced the two bedroom, look into dvc rental points for future trips, it’s not as expensive as you think :wave:

Loving your report so far! I also have 4 children (much older now-ha!) and this is bringing back all of the memories from when they were younger at Disney :) What a wonderful upgrade on your accommodations and yes, I get your excitement at the laundry facilities IN YOUR ROOM! What a wonderful bit of pixie dust for mama! :) Can't wait for more!

Wednesday July 15th- Magic Kingdom Day 2
Sleeping in just keeps evading me and I was up at 06:00. I let everyone sleep in until 10:30, but we had a reservation for Liberty Tree Tavern for 12:00.

We left the room at 11:36 and started the walk over to Magic Kingdom. Have I mentioned I love being able to do this?!

You can just seen the temperature screening at the front, with the security covering behind it.

With Hollywood Studios and Epcot also opening today, MK was even quieter. I don't think there was a wait time greater than 15 minutes when we first arrived.

We were seating quickly and put in the empty Benjamin Franklin room.

While the food was pretty decent, I don't think we will be going again. This is what my "Disney Adult" ate for $39.00, and the "Oooeey Gooey Toffee Cake" was a chocolate cookie with ice cream on top? Our bill was $197 including tip, and while I know Disney food is inflated, this was a bit silly.

It was 13:00 and time to get some rides. Splash Mountain was still closed when we first got to the park, but had opened back up during lunch. We entered the standby line at 13:16, on the boat for 13:25 and back out for 13:43. We had done rider switch again, and they were in and out by 14:01. We had decided to go back through the standby line, but after a few minutes the ride closed down again so we bailed on the line (it would open back up again after about 30 minutes).

We went next door to BTMRR, standby line at 14:14, walked right through and on by 14:19. Used rider switch again, they were heading on to the ride at 14:25 and back by 14:37.

I was thankful that the line started moving so we walked the whole way through the barrier. I couldn't imagine being stuck in there for any significant amount of time.

Waited out rider switch with my little Vampirina. We stayed hydrated today and tried to keep out of the sun. The heat overall didn't seem as bad as yesterday (still miserable though).

Splash was back open again when we were done with BTMRR, so we got in another ride plus rider switch. Definitely bring backup masks, when those cloth masks get wet, it is hard to breathe and very uncomfortable.

Our plan was to hit Seven Dwarves on the way over to Tomorrowland, but nature had other ideas and all the outside rides went offline. We passed by Haunted Mansion and decided to pay them a visit, entered standby line at 15:53 and into the doom buggy right at 16:00. Peter Pan was another walk-on at 16:19. We continued onwards, walked right on Winnie the Pooh, got off and walked right back on again :rotfl:

Those storm clouds messed our mine train plans right up.

Space Mountain was up next up, this was the first time our son was tall enough to ride (and he loved it!)16:55 we entered the standby line and literally walked right to the ride. We had done rider switch, but it wasn't even necessary. With the rain continuing, we called it a day and were out of the park by 17:20.

In less than four hours, we got in 12 rides while dragging around 4 kids. I don't think that was too bad.

Tomorrow is our first Animal Kingdom day with a reservation at Yak & Yeti

Enjoying your report! Where are you all from in LA? I grew up on the Westbank of New Orleans (family is all still there), but now live in Nashville.

I can't wait to read more!

Your trip sounds amazing. It's making me think about coming down for a quick trip. We have annual passes that got extended due to the shutdown. Thanks for sharing.

That's wonderful that you got the upgrade. It just makes sense, if the room is sitting there empty, why not spread some pixie dust? Have a wonderful vacation. I live in Orlando and I feel you about the heat. It can be miserable. Your children are adorable and good for the little one for wearing a mask. It's hard on little children.

Congratulations on the upgrade, your family definitely deserves this especially being in the medical field during a pandemic. I remember one year maybe back in 2009 or 2010 we went mid to end of September and it was virtually walk on almost every ride. The pathways were so desolate is was almost eerie. That was the one and only year we have every encountered that, so ENJOY!!!

Happy to hear you are having a fantastic trip!

What fabulous pixie dust. Nurse, EMT + 4 young children -your family deserves this🙏
So funny about your little girl's tooth😂
Hope you have a ball today!

It is wonderful that your family was upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa! Thank you for your hard work!

I love how you use military time, reminds me of work, lol 😂

I, too, love your use of military time. It reminds me of my dad and how growing up as a kid, I became familiar with it and understood it because that is how he would refer to anything we had to do. It makes since since he was in the military for so long - 40 years total when he retired!

Loving your report so far! I also have 4 children (much older now-ha!) and this is bringing back all of the memories from when they were younger at Disney :) What a wonderful upgrade on your accommodations and yes, I get your excitement at the laundry facilities IN YOUR ROOM! What a wonderful bit of pixie dust for mama! :) Can't wait for more!

I was thinking the same thing when I saw your photo of the washer and dryer!

What a cool trip! I'll be following as we're headed to WDW in September. What a great upgrade you got! Wow! We just got upgraded from POR to Beach Club! We're so excited!

I'm glad to hear the masks haven't been an issue and glad Disney is enforcing them. Can't wait to hear more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter