Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway

DHS should have had a deeply discounted ticket for a while now.
During this construction, I always said that they should have just given a free hopper pass to Epcot (and vice versa) for anyone walking through those gates since they are so attraction-lite and the Tiering system is awful --- but combine them and it works pretty well .. plus the two parks have some easy to/from transportation.

110% agree. We could have easily spent the rest of the day at Epcot.

I wonder when this tired debate will ever end, lol, re: half day park or full day park....
When SWGE is done and Runaway Railway are done. Potentially it will be a two day park if they continue to have the Tiering structure.

DHS goes from having 4 "ride" attractions to 9 attractions .. all of which will be heavily popular consider more than half of them will be brand new and the old four will probably still be very popular (I would expect Star Tours to see a resurgence due to the popularity of SWGE).

When SWGE is done and Runaway Railway are done. Potentially it will be a two day park if they continue to have the Tiering structure.

DHS goes from having 4 "ride" attractions to 9 attractions .. all of which will be heavily popular consider more than half of them will be brand new and the old four will probably still be very popular (I would expect Star Tours to see a resurgence due to the popularity of SWGE).

I'm thinking and would hope Star Tours will close down, be re-themed OR bulldozed along with some of it's neighbors for something all new.

I'm thinking and would hope Star Tours will close down, be re-themed OR bulldozed along with some of it's neighbors for something all new.

Not anytime in the near future. Star Wars is too popular, especially once SWGE opens. And I guarantee HS won't see any more major money dumped into it for awhile after all they will have put in. Epcot is the next park to get the big money.

Not anytime in the near future. Star Wars is too popular, especially once SWGE opens. And I guarantee HS won't see any more major money dumped into it for awhile after all they will have put in. Epcot is the next park to get the big money.

Last I saw the plan was to leave Star Tours open for at least a few years after SWGE opens but then retheme or replace

I am sure they want to keep it open at least to introduce scenes from a Episode IX for a bit and the fact they are going to the trouble of having two versions (one set in the new trilogy time period, one covering the original time period) to me indicates it isn't closing super soon

Last I saw the plan was to leave Star Tours open for at least a few years after SWGE opens but then retheme or replace

I am sure they want to keep it open at least to introduce scenes from a Episode IX for a bit and the fact they are going to the trouble of having two versions (one set in the new trilogy time period, one covering the original time period) to me indicates it isn't closing super soon
Per insiders there are a few options:
Keep it open for a few years as you have stated, and have it bring in new scenes to tie in new movies
Keep it open, and make a shift to allow this to exit into Star Wars GE, but that one is still very iffy.
Last but not least, keep it going for a year or so, then retheme to a totally different IP. I lean toward this one, as I don't see them wanting too much SW outside of SW:GE - and after a year or so, the crowds should drop some.

None of this is locked in stone though per what I have seen.

Keep it open for a few years as you have stated, and have it bring in new scenes to tie in new movies
Keep it open, and make a shift to allow this to exit into Star Wars GE, but that one is still very iffy.
Last but not least, keep it going for a year or so, then retheme to a totally different IP. I lean toward this one, as I don't see them wanting too much SW outside of SW:GE - and after a year or so, the crowds should drop some.

Yeah, what I understood was either option one or 3 with them basically being the same just a wuesion of how long it is open/hoe much they need *something* to help with crowds in the park

One idea I had was to turn it into a bit of a fictitious promotional tool for visiting SWGE - almost like they had the welcome center built while they were building Walt Disney World. Seems like you wouldn't need to change that much physically to change the tone of the ride

I didn't mean for it to sound like it would close the day after SWL opens .... they will need all the help they can get with the initial crowds in terms of attractions. There will be a buffer but for SWGE to be truly special, there really shouldn't be another SW attraction outside the walls.

ST location; outside the land, now awkwardly sitting in an area with no cohesiveness makes zero sense for it to stay too long if they are truly trying to "fix" the park on top of keeping SW special. I responded to the post that made it sound like it was an attraction (one of 9) for the future, a component to the long term tier system that would make it a 2 day park.

Agree with this.

Anyone ever wonder how many railroad themed rides Disney needs?

We already have Everest, 7 dwarfs, and thunder mountain. I guess we need a 4th?

Well, the least it ties back to Walt's love of trains. Plus you have the Walt Disney Railroad and the train out to conservation station in AK

I like star tours. I hope they would retheme rather then remove. I find it a fun ride but liked it more when it was all random vs having scenes that show up every time.

Anyone ever wonder how many railroad themed rides Disney needs?

We already have Everest, 7 dwarfs, and thunder mountain. I guess we need a 4th?
I don't wonder about train rides. I wonder why Disney needs so many boat/water attractions. :D The only park that doesn't have one is DHS (in terms of WDW).

I'm really excited about this attraction. I just wish they wouldn't do it based on the current animation of Mickey and Minnie.

I doubt anything will close for years after SWGE opens. So that means we probably will have Star Tours and Indiana Jones for a while even though that whole area and attractions doesn't fit anymore.

I doubt anything will close for years after SWGE opens. So that means we probably will have Star Tours and Indiana Jones for a while even though that whole area and attractions doesn't fit anymore.
The only thing I can possibly see Disney do to DHS after Toy Story/Star Wars open is update Fantasmic. I know a lot of people wouldn't be happy with that, but that show really needs it. I wish Disney would update it now, but I can't see them doing that in the current state of the park.

The only thing I can possibly see Disney do to DHS after Toy Story/Star Wars open is update Fantasmic. I know a lot of people wouldn't be happy with that, but that show really needs it. I wish Disney would update it now, but I can't see them doing that in the current state of the park.

I would say if there is one thing they could take off line is an evening event given they do have the projection/firework show as an alternative and once SWGE opens they could really push the Star Wars stuff - maybe even put the ToT projections they used at the Star Wars even up regularly instead of Fantasmic!

Not saying they would or should just saying of all the things they could take offline that might be it

I personally feel SW:GE and toy story land is the start of what that park needs. Once open it's going to make the rest of the park look naff. It will still need a lot more work in my opinion

It seems like Disney has just decided that 2 years is the proper time it takes to build a ride. Personally I think they are about correct on this. If you are coming for a 7 day Disney vacation, and you're the type that does it every couple years, you start planning a year or more in advance. If you are like me, you book 499 days out (and yes, part of that is the capacity problems at Fort Wilderness), but if you are staying on property it certainly pays to book at least 6 months out. If they can build a ride in a year, why do that? You want that lead time. You want people planning a year out to know what is coming to build the excitement, and you want to dangle that excitement for a period of time before people choose to book.

In other words, why pay extra to have it completed in 6-9 months when the significant booking boost you are likely to see won't be realized until 1.5-2 years. Sure you might get more AP and locals to come if you opened it faster, but they'll come anyway both before and after the new attraction happens. So it is really a timeline based on the occasional visitor and how to get them to book that next trip so they feel they are getting something new.

Are you talking about RV space at the Fort?

We've never planned a trip more than 200 days out and only that early because of dining at 180 which isn't the issue it used to be thanks to the no show fees.

Are you talking about RV space at the Fort?

We've never planned a trip more than 200 days out and only that early because of dining at 180 which isn't the issue it used to be thanks to the no show fees.

Yes. It can be hard to get RV spaces at Fort Wilderness, especially for popular weeks. Plus we like Preferred spots, and there are only 3 loops, so I'd rather book early than not get the type of site I prefer. I know Disney holds spots and doesn't release them all at 499, but by booking at the first available time I just sidestep the whole dance that many people do. I'd love to know the RV site occupancy rates at The Fort, but I bet they are near the highest of any Disney resort property.

The cabins do not have near the same occupancy issues, probably why they converted a cabin loop to RV not long ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts