Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway

I'm thinking and would hope Star Tours will close down, be re-themed OR bulldozed along with some of it's neighbors for something all new.

I hope not. With GMR, BLT, and HISTK gone, Star Tours (and a couple shows) is about the only thing left at MGM I remember from when I was a kid.

I'm thinking and would hope Star Tours will close down, be re-themed OR bulldozed along with some of it's neighbors for something all new.
Star Tours is said to close both at DHS and Disneyland once Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens. However, in terms of DHS, I am still hopeful that Disney can find a way to use that as an optional entrance into the land. That is since the final scene right now is of Star Tours landing on Batuu (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge planet). I think that is a little to much hope though.

I hope not. With GMR, BLT, and HISTK gone, Star Tours (and a couple shows) is about the only thing left at MGM I remember from when I was a kid.

:confused3 sorry. At this point I don't think there is anything left of the original park ... so if they were willing to kill off GMR, nothing else is sacred.

Star Tours is said to close both at DHS and Disneyland once Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens. However, in terms of DHS, I am still hopeful that Disney can find a way to use that as an optional entrance into the land. That is since the final scene right now is of Star Tours landing on Batuu (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge planet). I think that is a little to much hope though.

Not feasible, the areas are built to the edge now. (see pics)

And makes no sense to have two SW simulation rides.

They can overlay it and totally change theme OR am hopeful they bulldoze Star Tours, Backlot Express and Indiana Jones show and create a newly themed area.

From Bioreconstruct -

bioreconstruct‏ @bioreconstruct
At right, current state of the parking expansion at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

DRr5DMTUEAE-RIU.jpg

bioreconstruct‏ @bioreconstruct
The separation between Star Tours and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.

DRr9Z79UQAAOFcv.jpg

Right .. the whole "landing on Batuu" thing is odd to me. It seems like Star Tours would have been the PERFECT immersive entrance to SWGE. You get on the ride, you ride it, and out you come in an immersive new planet .. as if you actually WENT somewhere. Very cool. Now .. you do that .. walk out of Tatooine Traders, turn left and are in a modern day street from LA? and THEN you go through a tunnel to get to Star Wars land? Wuh?

So, I'm not sure why incorporating Star Tours into SWGE wasn't really in the plans like how they are incorporating TSMM into Toy Story Land. It probably simply came down to economics and use of space. To do that, you would think they would have had to bulldoze Muppets Courtyard or build SWGE in a totally different place (where Indiana Jones is) .. and that would mean taking out yet another attraction or two for a very long time in a park already hurting for attractions. Also, since the Star Tours at Disneyland had no way at all to connect to SWGE, they probably decided to keep the two designs the same (to save money as well).

So will they still have Jedi Training at Star Tours? I haven't seen anywhere where they've said it will go inside SWGE.

It remains though that after SWGE and Toy Story Land and the Runaway railway .. there are a bunch of aged attractions that need to go. Indiana Jones .. a show that hasn't changed since it opened, is about filming stunts in a movie. The park is no longer about the making of movies. It needs to go. Feels like the whole Launch bay area could be turned into something else. Does Star Wars need to be in three separate locations in the park? That is a big area as well that could be turned into an attraction it would seem.

Plus they still haven't announced the new name of the park yet. That may give an indication of how it is going to go.

Right .. the whole "landing on Batuu" thing is odd to me. It seems like Star Tours would have been the PERFECT immersive entrance to SWGE. You get on the ride, you ride it, and out you come in an immersive new planet .. as if you actually WENT somewhere. Very cool. Now .. you do that .. walk out of Tatooine Traders, turn left and are in a modern day street from LA? and THEN you go through a tunnel to get to Star Wars land? Wuh?

So, I'm not sure why incorporating Star Tours into SWGE wasn't really in the plans like how they are incorporating TSMM into Toy Story Land. It probably simply came down to economics and use of space. To do that, you would think they would have had to bulldoze Muppets Courtyard or build SWGE in a totally different place (where Indiana Jones is) .. and that would mean taking out yet another attraction or two for a very long time in a park already hurting for attractions. Also, since the Star Tours at Disneyland had no way at all to connect to SWGE, they probably decided to keep the two designs the same (to save money as well).

So will they still have Jedi Training at Star Tours? I haven't seen anywhere where they've said it will go inside SWGE.

It remains though that after SWGE and Toy Story Land and the Runaway railway .. there are a bunch of aged attractions that need to go. Indiana Jones .. a show that hasn't changed since it opened, is about filming stunts in a movie. The park is no longer about the making of movies. It needs to go. Feels like the whole Launch bay area could be turned into something else. Does Star Wars need to be in three separate locations in the park? That is a big area as well that could be turned into an attraction it would seem.

Plus they still haven't announced the new name of the park yet. That may give an indication of how it is going to go.

I believe the original plans for where SWGE would go was where the Indy Stunt Show is - so perhaps initially they thought about incorporating Star Tours into the land somehow but then changed their mind based on where they could fit the land better, what attractions to keep vs get rid of, how to do the construction easier, how to connect it to the new Star Wars Hotel (potentially), and yeah, to make it more or less the same as the Disneyland one

As for the training, I thought one of the areas in the new land would be like an academy or something where something like the Jedi Training would take place - but that it would be a bit different. Trying to find that on the interwebs though and didn't see it so perhaps I just made it up

I believe the original plans for where SWGE would go was where the Indy Stunt Show is - so perhaps initially they thought about incorporating Star Tours into the land somehow but then changed their mind based on where they could fit the land better, what attractions to keep vs get rid of, how to do the construction easier, how to connect it to the new Star Wars Hotel (potentially), and yeah, to make it more or less the same as the Disneyland one

As for the training, I thought one of the areas in the new land would be like an academy or something where something like the Jedi Training would take place - but that it would be a bit different. Trying to find that on the interwebs though and didn't see it so perhaps I just made it up
Correct the original plans had Star Wars going where indiana Jones is and into the parking lot. I haven’t heard anything definite on training academy.

I totally agree with you. One more thing about Indiana Jones...I don't know if they will get rid of it, because it will be a valuable tool once the new movie comes out. They could possibly change it to reflect the new movie, or it will again be popular (which I think it still is), because the movie will get kids and families to want to see "Indiana Jones." The only thing is, I haven't heard much about that movie since they announced it was coming.

I totally agree with you. One more thing about Indiana Jones...I don't know if they will get rid of it, because it will be a valuable tool once the new movie comes out. They could possibly change it to reflect the new movie, or it will again be popular (which I think it still is), because the movie will get kids and families to want to see "Indiana Jones." The only thing is, I haven't heard much about that movie since they announced it was coming.

I guess, but, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was such a bad movie, I can't see people flocking to see another Indiana Jones movie. As an Indiana Jones fan myself, I could care less if there is a Indy V or not. Harrison Ford is too old, and Shia LeBeouf was just not a likable character to have in a sequel. So I don't see them keeping around a show that hasn't changed in years that is based around the first movie (from 1982) to promote a future movie.

Back to the show -- At its core . .it's a stunt show. Those can be fun and entertaining. I remember going to Six Flags and seeing the stunt shows there in the 90s (one was centered around Batman). So, it can still be an Indiana Jones stunt show .. just doesn't have to be centered around "making of a movie" with a director and pulling "extras" from the audience.
The problem is stunt shows are so 90s .. and probably really expensive to produce.

I miss the great movie ride (before TCM took it over). But I think this is a great replacement!

I can see an advantage to opening the new Mickey ride at the same time as Star Wars. It would take some crowd pressure off of the new land, and getting a fast pass for it will be a must. It will increase capacity in the park, at a time when people will be flocking there.

With Toy Story Land already open for a year, I predict that DHS will become the most popular park at WDW in late 2019. Not exatly a bold prediction, though.

I think Disney has perfected this elsewhere .... their projections on the castle appear very much 3D, no glasses. As did the projection work on ToT and elsewhere. From the visuals shown and descriptions it sounds like its just the same on a smaller scale.

Similar to the projection mapping effects in Shanghai Pirates?

I'm so excited for this. I love the animation on the new Mickey Mouse cartoon. I will miss GMR though

I would *think* that at hs where real estate is not at such a premium but attractions are that they would leave st and the Jedi little kid thing. At dl, where real estate is at a premium and rides are abundant, it'd be different math.

FWIW, we're going to DHS on our next trip, but everyone but my daughter (who loves DHS) are grumbling about not having much to do.

This is one time where I wish we could afford to buy hoppers.......

You can always do 1/2 day at DHS and then spend the rest of the day at DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter