Mickey Power!!! - July 2019 - Once Upon a Time When DHS Opened After Sunrise - 2/27

I heard the group that got behind us freaking out because Disney will charge their credit card instantly if they aren’t checked in. I knew this wouldn’t be the case, but they were in a panic. She asked if she could get in front of us because their ADR was at 1PM and they were going to be late. I informed her mine was at 12:50 and I was going to be later.

Oh dear! Disney can definitely put people in a tizzy. And there seems to be a common Disney-vacation-blinders phenomenon where you're blind to the experiences of anyone else except your own vacation party. Why that family would think that anyone else in that line wasn't also going to have to check in late for their ADR is beyond me.

So basically, we stood in a line to check in for about 25 minutes. Then approximately 3 minutes later our table was ready.

Maybe they should re-think not letting people check in early???

Right!?

Our first visit was from Donald.

And R wasn’t feeling it.

...uh oh...

No picture. No hug. Not even a high 5 or a fist bump. But at least he didn’t freak out and try to hide under the table or something...

...ok! Well this is a pretty manageable start...

And R decided to hop up and join in on the fun!

...yay! Good for him! Characters can be intimidating. Glad he jumped in with his siblings and had fun.

The kids had a good time with the characters, which is the main point anyway. Chef Mickey has become one of our go to places, but I’m just not really excited about it anymore.

I think I'd probably feel the same way. We've only been once in my adult years, but I didn't feel thrilled about the service or food. We might go back if I ever take my little niece when she gets a little older, but otherwise I have no desire.

The food is fine, and for the price you pay, I want better than fine.

Totally.

Naturally, about the time I hauled in the last of our things, the rain stopped.

Oh no! Of course!

The package was actually a gift bag that our TA had sent for us. It was a nice little Mickey bag filled with all kinds of snacks. We appreciated the surprise!

Oh, how nice! That's a great little surprise, and very thoughtful.

Enjoying your TR... what a disappointment with Chef Mickeys. Love the characters but they do need to get better on the waiting/check in. Been there 2x and same experience.

That sales tactic is about the quickest way to ensure 100% you don't earn my business.

OH for sure! See ya later!

We do. Although I do find at times that DW will worry about if he's acting funny and I'll take a look and be like "he's alright." (This conversation does happen at Disney World a few times.)

I dunno. I sometimes don't feel myself at Disney either. I get hot and a bit cranky and then there's the whole.... I think I ate too much rich food thing, I'm tired.... etc...

DW more so than me. My initial reaction is always, he's alright, I need to see more symptoms.

#itsamomthing

I try to have it pretty much together at night and just get the water ready in the morning. Really wasn't too bad after we set it up that first day. Just grab a few more snacks and a fresh set of ponchos

It'll be very interesting to see how my "kids" handle this. They're on their own this time and if poncho gets left behind it's on them.

More like sorry, not sorry!

::yes::

I still like it and didn't regret it... but I felt like that one time was enough. I've noticed this with a few of my favorite rollercoasters that I've grown up with over the past few years. I don't know if it is their age or mine, but either way getting old sucks.
I"m gonna guess it's you. No offense, but I think our youths and all their shenanigans is gonna come back to bite us.

When I got there I couldn’t believe what I saw.

There was a line to check in that strung all the way back past the stroller parking area.

:scared1:
She asked if she could get in front of us because their ADR was at 1PM and they were going to be late. I informed her mine was at 12:50 and I was going to be later.

HAHAHAHA! I love that. Done in a deadpan tone is perfection.

48430941122_3455fca240_z.jpg

"Can this be over? " is written all over your face.

The brunch menu was a bit disappointing at 1 PM. I guess breakfast food is always good, but there wasn’t much in the way of lunch items. Carved turkey, cornbread, mashed potatoes and a couple of vegetables. It was kind of meh, really.

Meh, bordering on yuck.

Awwww, love this!

The kids had a good time with the characters, which is the main point anyway. Chef Mickey has become one of our go to places, but I’m just not really excited about it anymore. Our last couple of times have been ok... The food is fine, and for the price you pay, I want better than fine. But last trip it was a big delay getting our check and leaving and then this trip it was a big delay just getting to the check in desk. I just feel like the service there is honestly a little subpar by Disney standards.

Sounds like it's time to move on. I think it's run its course and there are far better buffets now. I keep hearing the one a the Boardwalk's Trattoria is the best now... not Mickey and Friends, but other characters. And the food is, according to the reviews it's getting, the best.
We took a monorail to the TTC and this time, I pushed the stroller all the way to the car. B and DW hopped on the tram. Want to guess who go there first?

YOU DID!! That thing makes about 4 trillon stops.

We made the first trip to the room and the skies unloaded.

Guessed that would have been the case.

Of course. How else could it possibly have worked out?!

It is really hard to get him to go to sleep, but once he's out, he could sleep through just about anything. We were hoping he’d fall asleep then we’d head to MK and do a few things before he woke up.

OH sure, he'll be fine there in the bed. Hurry kids close the door before he wakes up!

Just kidding, but it did take me a few before I figured out he'd be sleeping IN his stroller!. LOL!

The package was actually a gift bag that our TA had sent for us. It was a nice little Mickey bag filled with all kinds of snacks. We appreciated the surprise!

48496288686_325b12512e_z.jpg
Oh how nice!

We arrived at the Contemporary about 10 minutes before our scheduled ADR, which wasn’t bad, considering Chef Mickey doesn’t let you check in early anyway so we felt good.

You had me worried I'm glad you made it with time to spare.

There was a line to check in that strung all the way back past the stroller parking area.

:scared1: Don't you just love the "hurry up and wait"?

In my Disboards absence, I didn’t realize that the Mickey statue was gone so with the delay to check in, and being hungry, I was kind of in a foul mood about even being in line for the picture. Just as it was our turn, my phone vibrated saying our table was ready. The PP photographer had props you could hold and was trying to invite us to grab one, but I wasn’t in a mood for a picture anyway and I told her our table’s ready, we just want to get done and go eat.

I'm so sorry for the bad start, but you still got a good picture.

The brunch menu was a bit disappointing at 1 PM. I guess breakfast food is always good, but there wasn’t much in the way of lunch items. Carved turkey, cornbread, mashed potatoes and a couple of vegetables. It was kind of meh, really.

We love the character interaction but I've never found the food to be that good, just ok.

And R wasn’t feeling it.

No picture. No hug. Not even a high 5 or a fist bump. But at least he didn’t freak out and try to hide under the table or something...

Not a bad start.

48430875166_aac2619eaa_z.jpg

That was some progress. I love your daughters face in this one.

Next we had Minnie.

48430874516_b34c425e20_z.jpg

Wow he's holding her hand!

Then Goofy.

48431011772_2e2fb68315_z.jpg

He looks a little suspicious of Goofy.

And finally the Chef stopped by to ask how our meal was.

48431008982_0ee449212a_z.jpg

Precious!

The kids had a good time with the characters, which is the main point anyway. Chef Mickey has become one of our go to places, but I’m just not really excited about it anymore. Our last couple of times have been ok... The food is fine, and for the price you pay, I want better than fine. But last trip it was a big delay getting our check and leaving and then this trip it was a big delay just getting to the check in desk. I just feel like the service there is honestly a little subpar by Disney standards.

I'm ok with doing this only every couple of trips.

So, while everyone else started relaxing in the room and unpacking things, this guy got to make a few more trips out through the monsoon to bring in luggage, snacks and whatever other crap was in some of those bags.

Thanks for taking one for the team. It's what Dads do.

Of course.

I tried to keep the kids out of the room for a while so we walked around a bit to scope out the pool and the area around the lobby. But even with that, we came back to the room and R was still wide awake. It looked like Mission Nap was going to be a fail because it was almost time to go back to MK. Let’s just hope this doesn’t ruin the evening.

Oh no. Kids do have their own schedule. I hope it works out for the rest of the day.

So basically, we stood in a line to check in for about 25 minutes. Then approximately 3 minutes later our table was ready.

Yikes, that's a long wait! I feel bad for the family that was freaking out behind you (at least people take the Disney warnings about the penalties seriously?), but I can confirm based on some of our scrambles to get to ADRs that they don't charge you if you eventually arrive at your restaurant. I hope one of the adults was able to wait in line while the other was able to distract the kids!

I ended up eating mostly a plate of breakfast items and then did some damage at the dessert bar.

Frankly, that sounds great to me! Dessert is always the best part of the meal anyway!

I think that sounds like a win? It's a great picture with your older kids.

Hooray for Pluto! It looks like R did really well with the remaining characters - and your older kids seemed to have fun the whole time! How wonderful!

But last trip it was a big delay getting our check and leaving and then this trip it was a big delay just getting to the check in desk. I just feel like the service there is honestly a little subpar by Disney standards.

That's too bad that your Chef Mickey experience wasn't perfect, but it sounds much better than last time. Aside from hunger issues, I'd much rather be delayed at the beginning of my meal than the end. I don't think many go to Chef Mickey's for great cuisine and it appears your kids had a great time, so I think I'd call it an overall win!

I appreciate the friendliness of CMs, but honestly, this wasn’t a time I really wanted to chat.

That's always tough when you come across a really nice person but it's just not a good time for talking. It's so much easier to run into an "all business" CM when you're in a hurry!

We were in Barbados 31. I used the fax request system in Touringplans to request a ground floor room with early check in for around a 2PM arrival. I didn’t really set any really restrictive parameters, but I got what I asked for.

Nice! I've usually had good luck with my requests, but it's always a nice surprise when you get what you were hoping for!

Naturally. :sad2:

Wow! What a great surprise (and a super nice travel agent!)

Let’s just hope this doesn’t ruin the evening.

This sounds awfully foreboding... :rolleyes:

That's an insane amount of time to check in at a restaurant! I'm sorry the food wasn't great but looks like the kids had a fun time!

Ah that stinks about the rain and having to bring all the bags to the room while it was going on :(

I hadn’t planned for a combined 45+ minute wait time to use FP and RS at Space.

Well, that'll learn ya.

:faint:

The PP photographer had props you could hold and was trying to invite us to grab one, but I wasn’t in a mood for a picture anyway and I told her our table’s ready, we just want to get done and go eat.

There's not much worse in this world than those forced photo ops. What a colossal waste of time. No, I'm not wasting 20 bucks on one photo.

:sad2:

Great! I found that our little guys usually needed 1 character to warm up too. They needed to make sure they weren't going to do anything shady, I guess.

The food is fine, and for the price you pay, I want better than fine.

::yes:: True for most character meals, I think.

We took a monorail to the TTC and this time, I pushed the stroller all the way to the car. B and DW hopped on the tram. Want to guess who go there first?

I'm not taking that bet.

Let me apologize right now, I didn’t get any room pictures.

I've seen hotel rooms before. Was there a bed or two? Maybe a bathroom?

So, while everyone else started relaxing in the room and unpacking things, this guy got to make a few more trips out through the monsoon to bring in luggage, snacks and whatever other crap was in some of those bags.

It's fun being low man on the totem pole, isn't it?

This is required by Murphy's Law.

It looked like Mission Nap was going to be a fail because it was almost time to go back to MK.

That's what Ny-Quil is for. :rolleyes1

Looks like R warmed up to the characters a little bit as the meal wore on! That's really all you can ask for at that age. Anything but the screaming meltdowns some kids have.

Ah, naturally, the rain storm occurred during the luggage retrieval process. Although, grabbing bags in the rain was probably a little easier than trying to wrangle a toddler down for a nap...

hat's a thing for you guys, I believe? First day, Chef Mickey?
Typically, if we can. We did it last day once, but it is pretty much an every trip thing.
Whoa! Something must have been going on?
I have no idea. If there was, I couldn't figure it out.
::yes:: Had a similar situation at the airport recently.
I remember that! It definitely made me think of it.
I get that. I hate those "You must pose here, whether you want to or not" things.
Well... that sucks.
There should be a lot more choices than that!
::yes:: Beef. There needs to be beef. At least there was bacon.
Ah. Good.

That's all that really matters anyway.
That's the truth.
Well... no tantrum is a major plus.
Hey! Great!
Thinking the other kids had everything to do with that.
It probably helped that he saw them having fun.
Heh. Did you tell him?
I like him too much and was afraid of hurting his feelings. Besides, I still had to spend the rest of the week as his guest...
Hmmm... so maybe won't necessarily be a "thing" for much longer.
I'd be perfectly fine with that...
You. Of course.

Everything's a competition with dads.
I've experienced that. I just want to go. I'm tired. Can you please shut it?
Exactly!
Nice. It's worked out well for me from time to time, too.
I've had mixed results, but it seems to work fairly well.
meh.
I've seen lots.
They are pretty standard.
Thanks for delaying us, overly-friendly-CM.
:thumbsup2 I needed a shower anyway.
Of course!
Never fails.
I like to celebrate some of the small things, I guess. I always remind myself that we are so so lucky that our girls are healthy and happy girls. (Espcially when they are testing my nerves) But we do like to celebrate the little things. And by celebrate, it can be just a toast at home, ice cream. Not a full on party or anything.
Good idea!
At lunch?!?!
Seriously. I HATE when they do this, Just keep my time the same, but let me check in... Yesh
Exactly! I'm not trying to cut in line! You're just going to give take my phone number and text when the table is ready anyway, so why can't we just get that process taken care of and go walk around or something rather than hovering by the entrance waiting to check in.
That is nice. And It is nice to give them some freedom with-in reason.
Could be worse..
Definitely!
I love that he is holding her hand.
I really liked that too!

Ugh, what a frustrating check-in experience.
Other than that, looks like a fun brunch! The Fab Five look great in the new(ish) outfits.
I miss the ketchup and mustard bottles leaking on Goofy!
Sorry Mission Nap was a fail! I hope the rest of the evening went great, can't wait to read about it.
He just never seems to want to sleep when he should...
Your group photo at Chef Mickey’s is lovely even if you weren’t in the mood. The joy in the kids faces as they meet the characters is priceless. So glad LG was brave enough to join in the fun :)
We’ve never eaten at CM in the contemporary as the one time we wandered by it seemed frantic and chaotic so hasn’t ever appealed. Then I started reading trip reports and between the craziness and meh food I know it’s not happening for us. We did eat at a downtown Disney restaurant Chef Mickey’s maybe 25 years ago in the days when you just wandered up, asked for a table and got one. Imagine that!!:scared1::rotfl:
I miss the days of the more laid back Disney trips when you could just make plans like that on the fly and walk up to a table service place and get right in. Chef Mickey certainly is loud and chaotic. It's fun for the kids and honestly, the place has potential. I like the fun atmosphere and the fact that there's a frickin monorail going right over my head. But the food really needs to be a lot better than it is. For a buffet that is as big and spread out as that one, there just aren't many choices at all.
Other than the chaotic check-in at Chef Mickey's, sounds like it was a good experience. For the kids anyway. I'm glad little R was brave enough to take part in the character interactions. Cute pictures of the 3 of them! We also went to Chef Mickey's in the late 80's when it was located in DS. A much different experience. No nap - yikes. Hope he's able to take a stroller nap. With my grandson, I know it can make or break an outing!
The kids had a good time. I never got to experience the original version from DS. Sounds better than what we have now.
Oh dear! Disney can definitely put people in a tizzy. And there seems to be a common Disney-vacation-blinders phenomenon where you're blind to the experiences of anyone else except your own vacation party. Why that family would think that anyone else in that line wasn't also going to have to check in late for their ADR is beyond me.
There are a lot of people who pretty much check their manners and common sense at the gate.
...ok! Well this is a pretty manageable start...
We won't have a complete set of pictures with characters... but no meltdown. Take the small victory and move on!
..yay! Good for him! Characters can be intimidating. Glad he jumped in with his siblings and had fun.
::yes:: Once he made that first step, he had a blast with them.
I think I'd probably feel the same way. We've only been once in my adult years, but I didn't feel thrilled about the service or food. We might go back if I ever take my little niece when she gets a little older, but otherwise I have no desire.
Yeah, that's pretty much me. I think the location and what it is gives it a lot of great potential, but they just settle for lackluster, because when its still a hard to get ADR, why try?

Essentially, I really think that is the mentality of the way this place is managed and that bothers me more than anything.
Oh no! Of course!
My luck...
Oh, how nice! That's a great little surprise, and very thoughtful.
::yes:: It really was! She's a great agent and we've worked with her on a few trips now.
Glad to see you're back! Excited to read another report of yours with your adorable kids!
:welcome: It is good to be back. Thanks for stopping by!!!
Enjoying your TR... what a disappointment with Chef Mickeys. Love the characters but they do need to get better on the waiting/check in. Been there 2x and same experience.
:welcome:
Yeah, I want to like the place more. It has so much potential but they just settle for mediocre.

Typically, if we can. We did it last day once, but it is pretty much an every trip thing.
I thought I remembered that. :)
I remember that! It definitely made me think of it.
::yes:: Beef. There needs to be beef. At least there was bacon.
Sausage too would be nice.
Good sausage.
I like him too much and was afraid of hurting his feelings. Besides, I still had to spend the rest of the week as his guest...
Probably for the best.
:thumbsup2 I needed a shower anyway.
So he helped you!

I dunno. I sometimes don't feel myself at Disney either. I get hot and a bit cranky and then there's the whole.... I think I ate too much rich food thing, I'm tired.... etc...
Exactly!
#itsamomthing
Truth!
It'll be very interesting to see how my "kids" handle this. They're on their own this time and if poncho gets left behind it's on them.
If they haven't figured out responsibility yet...
I"m gonna guess it's you. No offense, but I think our youths and all their shenanigans is gonna come back to bite us.
No doubt about it.
HAHAHAHA! I love that. Done in a deadpan tone is perfection.
If I could have only kept a straight face...
"Can this be over? " is written all over your face.
Meh, bordering on yuck.
I wasn't going to yuck... nothing was really bad, there just wasn't much variety or creativity.
Awwww, love this!
Thanks!
Sounds like it's time to move on. I think it's run its course and there are far better buffets now. I keep hearing the one a the Boardwalk's Trattoria is the best now... not Mickey and Friends, but other characters. And the food is, according to the reviews it's getting, the best.
I always want to try new places. One of these days I'd really love to stay at Beach Club and spend more time doing some of the places in the Boardwalk area.
YOU DID!! That thing makes about 4 trillon stops.
Well, I won... but they were still just going to the first stop!
Guessed that would have been the case.
Naturally.
Of course. How else could it possibly have worked out?!
Right?
OH sure, he'll be fine there in the bed. Hurry kids close the door before he wakes up!

Just kidding, but it did take me a few before I figured out he'd be sleeping IN his stroller!. LOL!
:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: I had to re-read it myself to get what you were saying. Maybe some better wording next time? I guess that's why I don't write things for a living.
You had me worried I'm glad you made it with time to spare.
It was close... but we definitely made it!
:scared1: Don't you just love the "hurry up and wait"?
:headache:
I'm so sorry for the bad start, but you still got a good picture.
Thanks
We love the character interaction but I've never found the food to be that good, just ok.
That's a pretty fair assessment of the place, in general.
That was some progress. I love your daughters face in this one.
Wow he's holding her hand!
That was pretty cool. He went right up to her.
He looks a little suspicious of Goofy.
Well, we just had a hard time getting good pictures. He wasn't standing still and that's about the best we could get, but he really likes Goofy.
I'm ok with doing this only every couple of trips.
We might have 1 more left in us depending when we go back. Once the kids aren't as big on the characters though, we'll move on.
Thanks for taking one for the team. It's what Dads do.
Its in the job description anyway.
Oh no. Kids do have their own schedule. I hope it works out for the rest of the day.
::yes:: That they do!

Yikes, that's a long wait! I feel bad for the family that was freaking out behind you (at least people take the Disney warnings about the penalties seriously?), but I can confirm based on some of our scrambles to get to ADRs that they don't charge you if you eventually arrive at your restaurant. I hope one of the adults was able to wait in line while the other was able to distract the kids!
Some of them took it seriously anyway! We just waited in line as a group.
Frankly, that sounds great to me! Dessert is always the best part of the meal anyway!
That's a very good point!
I think that sounds like a win? It's a great picture with your older kids.
Yeah, I guess it is!
Hooray for Pluto! It looks like R did really well with the remaining characters - and your older kids seemed to have fun the whole time! How wonderful!
Yeah, once he warmed up to them, he really had fun.
That's too bad that your Chef Mickey experience wasn't perfect, but it sounds much better than last time. Aside from hunger issues, I'd much rather be delayed at the beginning of my meal than the end. I don't think many go to Chef Mickey's for great cuisine and it appears your kids had a great time, so I think I'd call it an overall win!
Yeah, it was a fun one. I just feel a little bit disappointed in the fact that the past couple of visits make me feel like the thought process there is "mediocre is good enough."
That's always tough when you come across a really nice person but it's just not a good time for talking. It's so much easier to run into an "all business" CM when you're in a hurry!
I know!! I mean he was a nice guy. I wouldn't mind chatting with him under different circumstances.
Nice! I've usually had good luck with my requests, but it's always a nice surprise when you get what you were hoping for!
Wow! What a great surprise (and a super nice travel agent!)
She's a good one. We've worked with her before and she always takes good care of us.
hat's an insane amount of time to check in at a restaurant! I'm sorry the food wasn't great but looks like the kids had a fun time!
It really was a zoo getting in there. The kids did have fun though and I guess that's what they'll remember so that's what counts.
Ah that stinks about the rain and having to bring all the bags to the room while it was going on :(
It was a summer afternoon in Florida. Somehow, I'd have been more surprised if it didn't rain on me. :rotfl2:
Well, that'll learn ya.
I did a lot of learning this trip...
There's not much worse in this world than those forced photo ops. What a colossal waste of time. No, I'm not wasting 20 bucks on one photo.
At least we had Memory Maker. Its up for debate, but one could say that was a waste of more than 20 bucks.
Great! I found that our little guys usually needed 1 character to warm up too. They needed to make sure they weren't going to do anything shady, I guess.
That actually did seem to be the case for him. With the exception of face characters.
::yes:: True for most character meals, I think.
I don't know... there are a few that I'd actually go to for the food. They don't HAVE to be this way and that's what irritates me.
I'm not taking that bet.
Who's placing bets? I want in! I can conveniently pull a hammy or something if the price is right.
I've seen hotel rooms before. Was there a bed or two? Maybe a bathroom?
:eek: You were there????
It's fun being low man on the totem pole, isn't it?
Isn't it though?
This is required by Murphy's Law.
::yes:: Fact.
That's what Ny-Quil is for. :rolleyes1
:headache: I knew we forgot to pack something.
Looks like R warmed up to the characters a little bit as the meal wore on! That's really all you can ask for at that age. Anything but the screaming meltdowns some kids have.
That's true. He didn't freak out and that was our first real test so I was glad that he stayed calm and then got into it.
Ah, naturally, the rain storm occurred during the luggage retrieval process. Although, grabbing bags in the rain was probably a little easier than trying to wrangle a toddler down for a nap...
I guess that's probably true.

My kids are a little older now so we don't have to take nap breaks anymore. But I do remember those days of sitting in the bathroom in a Disney hotel praying they would nap. Chef Mickey used to be our go-to as well. Two years ago was probably our last unless things change there.

Playing catch up here, so comments are brief. I'm sorry that you had to wait so long at Chef Mickey's just for checking in, and really the photos should be optional, if you don't want to take it, don't take it! I also regret that it wasn't quite what you were hoping for. By 12:50 you would think that they would be putting out plenty of lunch type food. Very strange.

Glad that R finally got in the all the character action, you got some cute pictures with them!

Figures about the rain and that Operation Nap didn't work. I hope the rest of your day goes well! Fingers crossed!

My kids are a little older now so we don't have to take nap breaks anymore. But I do remember those days of sitting in the bathroom in a Disney hotel praying they would nap. Chef Mickey used to be our go-to as well. Two years ago was probably our last unless things change there.
He doesn't nap every day. We didn't even expect it to happen every day on vacation, but we tried to mix longer and shorter days with breaks in the longer ones to hopefully get him to nap some. We just knew there was no way a full day in the parks from open to close would work out well. I would be fine if we decided to take Chef Mickey out of our rotation next time around.
Playing catch up here, so comments are brief. I'm sorry that you had to wait so long at Chef Mickey's just for checking in, and really the photos should be optional, if you don't want to take it, don't take it! I also regret that it wasn't quite what you were hoping for. By 12:50 you would think that they would be putting out plenty of lunch type food. Very strange.
Well, I think they do call the meal a brunch... But still. The "unch" part was very much underrepresented.
Glad that R finally got in the all the character action, you got some cute pictures with them!
Figures about the rain and that Operation Nap didn't work. I hope the rest of your day goes well! Fingers crossed!
What else would you expect, right? Do things ever work out the way you'd like?

I Miss Wishes!
We decided for our return to the MK, we’d just take the bus. It only makes sense to avoid the TTC and everything that goes with it.
We went out to the bus stop in the Barbados section to find it... well, full.
It was packed.
3PM, at the resort.
I guess people who had waited out the rain decided to all go back out now?

As we were waiting, we overheard a lady on the phone with the front desk. Apparently, she’d been waiting over an hour for an EPCOT bus and none had stopped. To say she was upset would be an understatement.
After about 15 minutes, a MK bus pulled up to our stop.
And it was full. Standing room only and that standing room was very limited.
The bus driver had everyone squeeze toward the back, allowing people on and it became a free for all. We’d been there just outside the shelter waiting on the bus and people who had just walked up were coming up from behind trying to get on.
I didn’t use the stroller as a weapon, but I did use it as a gate.
The bus driver let as many of us on as he could and then had to tell a few that they’d have to wait for the next bus. As it turns out, there was a rather large group on this bus that had traveled together and they were in the Aruba section, which was one of the last stops in the CBR bus loop.
Anyway, we went around the resort and as we’d stop a couple of people might get off and then that would make room for a few more. But not everybody was getting on that wanted on. The older kids and I were standing in the open area near the back door, and someone was gracious enough to offer DW a seat since she was holding R.
By the way, after he refused to take a nap in the room... he, fell asleep on the bus before we made it out of CBR.

WIN!
Once we got to Aruba, the bus that was standing room only opened up to have plenty of empty seats for everyone to sit down.
Nice for us, but sucks for everyone that had to be left behind to “wait for the next bus.”
On our way to MK, the rain started in once again.
When we got to the park, I set the stroller up with the rain cover and we laid R down to sleep in the stroller.
We headed to the tapstile and I opened the cover enough to pull his arm up and use the Mickey Power to let us in. As I said, once he’s out, he’ll sleep through just about anything.
The rain intensified from a mist to a sprinkle as we got through the tapstiles so DW and B decided they needed ponchos. I had already gotten wet back at the resort and I intentionally wear clothes that dry quickly. It wasn’t raining very hard so L and I decided to brave it for the time being. We were getting there near the end of our window for Splash Mountain, but we got a message saying the ride was down and our FP had just become an anytime FP.
Our next FP was going to open just after Splash. It was already close to time for our BTMRR FP so we headed that way anyway. As we approached, we stopped to watch some people being evacuated off of Splash.
We went up to BTMRR to get our RS pass. DW was taking the first ride and as we checked in with the CM to get RS, he asked if we were doing standby or FP. We told him FP. He then told us he’d scan the kids’ bands so they could ride with me, but DW and I would have to use our FP.

This is the only time this trip we ran into this with RS. But I just wanted to include it because obviously, there is some discretion of the CMs when it comes to RS. It ended up working fine because we were early in the window and had plenty of time, but that could have hung me out if something had happened that caused a delay since he wouldn’t give me RS.
48431019167_7672021b3d_z.jpg
After they rode and then L, B and I rode with the RS, I was able to snag FP for Pirates. I figured we could try another dark ride while R is asleep.
48496738136_0809f171a4_z.jpg
Clearly, he woke up when we got him out of the stroller. I kept talking to him and trying to talk up what was happening... he wasn’t crazy about it, but he didn’t freak out. Looks like this one is too tame for L these days.
I grabbed another FP to use at Jungle Cruise later on and DW suggested going to the Tiki Room while we were close by. While we were in the pre-show I got on the app and we mobile ordered our dinner at Pecos Bill’s.
We always enjoy the Tiki Room, but I just can’t figure out how to counter that magic trick where they make us disappear. Can’t I just sit in the dark and AC for a little bit longer???
We went back over to get our stroller in the Pirates parking area and as I approached, there were 2 tween aged boys sitting behind the strollers. I don’t know if there was an outlet and they were sitting there to charge or what the reason was, but both had a phone in their hand doing something. I had to get around them with the stroller so I asked them if they’d move, please. They shifted their feet a little bit without looking up from their phones, not making nearly enough room to push a double stroller through. I ended up just picking the stroller up and lifting it over them.
We headed in to Pecos Bill’s and I got on the app to let them know I was there. This was the first time I ever used mobile ordering and I was sold on it instantly. As I looked at the other lines where the peasants were waiting 8 or 10 deep, I walked right up to the counter, waited a couple of minutes and left with our food. It worked great!
In the past, I’ve enjoyed getting a burrito and stuffing it so full that you really can’t even roll it up. This time around, that wasn’t on the menu. DW and I both went with the nacho plate and loaded them up instead. I forget what the kids had. My notes are clearly incomplete, but I'll go out on a limb and guess that we got at least 2 orders of mac & cheese. We enjoyed our meals, but I miss the burritos that they used to have. The nachos were fine, but we really like to get the nachos at La Cantina in EPCOT and the ones at Pecos Bill were definitely not on the same level.
As we were eating, we noticed that Splash was back up and running. It was getting kind of late in the evening and DW said she didn't want to get wet. We had a little bit of time before our JC FP would be good and R was still picking at his food, so I took L and B to go ride Splash while they finished up.
We rode in the second row of a log that had an empty front row, so that was kind of nice. We really didn’t get very wet since the front was so light. Unfortunately, we don’t have any photographic evidence of this ride. We even planned for this one and B tapped her Magic Band on it when we left.
We were trying to act panicked about the people who fell out of the front row. Oh well.
We headed over to JC, thankful that we’d secured FP and wouldn’t have to stand in the 75 minute line.
But as we approached the boat, our line veered to the left.

Huh, this is odd. They must have had to open enough of the queue for Standby that they’re sending us around the outside of them.
After the 3rd or 4th switchback, I realized I was wrong... all the people we saw were in FP and the Standby was all routed through the switchbacks on the right hand side. We ended up waiting about 25 minutes with our FP.
The good news is that I kind of like the night time safaris and it was dusk by the time we boarded. Not completely dark by any means, but dark enough that our skipper was using the lights on the boat for some effect.
We had Skipper Kara, and I did take note of her name, because she was awesome. Her comedic timing was perfect and she delivered her dad jokes in a way that would make dads everywhere proud.
It was just our first night so we didn’t want to push it too much. We were still energetic so we decided that we’d head to Town Square and watch Happily Ever After from there and then plan to get to the bus stop before the hoard leaving the park. We were thinking that when Mom and Dad got there, Mom would want to see HEA so if we were going to brave the crowd staking out a spot closer to the castle, it would be easier when they were with us to give an extra set of hands in the crowd and then on the bus.
We stopped for a photopass picture.

And I have to say this is a trend I noticed a lot this trip. We didn’t get 6 or 8 shots like we have in the past. Pretty much everywhere around the park we’d stop, they’d take 3 pictures. And we’d be lucky to have 1 of them be anything good where we’re all even looking in the general direction of the camera and ready.
So here’s the best one we got...
48430803221_4214d1cd76_z.jpg
We got a decent spot with a view of the castle in front of the train station and everyone enjoyed the show.
48497059372_bc42d03449_z.jpg
48496892341_107dae09f6_z.jpg
48497062377_8bbf23ddfc_z.jpg
48497063922_1271a4eb91_z.jpg
48497065502_d08808d09c_z.jpg
We left as the last few fireworks were still going off and made it to the bus stop before much of a line formed. We were among about the first 15 people or so waiting for the CBR bus and within about 10 minutes one rolled up. DW sat down with R and B and I stood with the stroller and L by the backdoor.
They loaded us in and headed back to CBR. The audio that announces the stops wasn’t working on this ride, and when the lights come on inside, you can’t see out the windows. People were asking the bus driver what stop we were at and he wasn’t answering, so I started looking when the door opened and yelling which stop it was. At least until we got to Barbados, then it was someone else’s job, I guess.
We got back to the room and after showers and baths, we were all in bed and asleep, resting up to explore the World!

As we were waiting, we overheard a lady on the phone with the front desk. Apparently, she’d been waiting over an hour for an EPCOT bus and none had stopped. To say she was upset would be an understatement.

:scared:

We went up to BTMRR to get our RS pass. DW was taking the first ride and as we checked in with the CM to get RS, he asked if we were doing standby or FP. We told him FP. He then told us he’d scan the kids’ bands so they could ride with me, but DW and I would have to use our FP.

This is the only time this trip we ran into this with RS. But I just wanted to include it because obviously, there is some discretion of the CMs when it comes to RS. It ended up working fine because we were early in the window and had plenty of time, but that could have hung me out if something had happened that caused a delay since he wouldn’t give me RS.

Ooh, confession time! When I worked in FanLand attractions, we were always confused with how to do RS because it isn't covered very well in training. I remember only two occasions in my life where someone asked for RS at PPF, and I just ended up sending the party through the FP+ lane until everyone who could ride and wanted to ride got on-- I no clue how to even facilitate RS because it's covered so little in training. A few of my friends at my location would tell families that Peter Pan's Flight didn't offer RS because "there was no height requirement for Peter Pan."

We headed in to Pecos Bill’s and I got on the app to let them know I was there. This was the first time I ever used mobile ordering and I was sold on it instantly. As I looked at the other lines where the peasants were waiting 8 or 10 deep, I walked right up to the counter, waited a couple of minutes and left with our food. It worked great!

I haven't done Mobile Ordering at the Parks yet... I need to try it this trip!

Awesome, AWESOME day at MK! This report is so detailed, I love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter