Mickey's Backyard BBQ Closing?

MIAMouseketeer

DIS Veteran
So there are rumors that Mickey's Backyard BBQ will close as of 12/31/2018 to make way for the new DVC property where River Country once was. This makes me so sad, but at least we have a reservation for 12/14.

So there are rumors that Mickey's Backyard BBQ will close as of 12/31/2018 to make way for the new DVC property where River Country once was. This makes me so sad, but at least we have a reservation for 12/14.
This comes on the heels of the Hoop De Doo Review closing rumors. That show will remain for the foreseeable future. This is all in relation to the DVC resort construction coming.

This comes on the heels of the Hoop De Doo Review closing rumors. That show will remain for the foreseeable future. This is all in relation to the DVC resort construction coming.
Yep. It makes sense, it just makes me sad. I do hope they reopen it again at some point. It’s such a fun evening with kids.

Yep. It makes sense, it just makes me sad. I do hope they reopen it again at some point. It’s such a fun evening with kids.

I'm figuring once the DVC property is complete the entire area encompassing The Settlement, Pioneer Hall, boat dock etc. may get some refurb and expansion including dining and entertainment options. We may not get the Backyard BBQ, but hopefully a suitable replacement.

I have to admit, I'm glad we're going to The Fort in January. We love the Preferred Loops back by The Settlement for easy transportation access. But I don't think I'll be back until this RiverCountry development is done. It's really going to ruin the peaceful vibe of the campground for a while. And that is a shame.

4 months is actually a decent notice. Disney hasn't made any announcements yet.

An article was on Kenny the Pirate today reporting the same. That it will close as of 12/31/18 to make way for DVC, Hoop De Doo will continue, and there's a chance Backyard BBQ may come back in the future, perhaps in a different form. I'd say this is all pretty reliable info, considering the sources.

I’ve only been to Ft Wilderness once and that was 19 years ago for HDDR so I’m not familiar with the layout. If the Backyard BBQ is shut down do you think this will have any impact on weddings on Clementine’ Beach/Woods? Heading down there next weekend so my niece can check out a couple of venues.

Oh bummer! We never got a chance to do this yet.

Fortunately if the Cast Members were part of the Union, they won't necessarily lose their jobs, they will just have to transfer out to a new one. That's unfortunate for them though, Food & Beverage roles like at Mickey's Backyard BBQ take quite awhile to get into.

There have been plans out on the Internet on the River Country DVC for years - just waiting for Disney to pull the trigger.

The plans show that the Mickey's Backyard BBQ pavilion was planned to be rebuilt over behind the Settlement Trading Post.

The Tri Circle D Horse Barn was to be rebuilt up at the front of the Fort near where the horse trail ride corrals are.

So they would need to start these rebuilds and have them in place (for sure for the horses) before the tear downs of the old buildings would start. But other parts of the River Country property could get started with clearing land, etc. in the mean time.

Bama Ed

There have been plans out on the Internet on the River Country DVC for years - just waiting for Disney to pull the trigger.

The plans show that the Mickey's Backyard BBQ pavilion was planned to be rebuilt over behind the Settlement Trading Post.

The Tri Circle D Horse Barn was to be rebuilt up at the front of the Fort near where the horse trail ride corrals are.

So they would need to start these rebuilds and have them in place (for sure for the horses) before the tear downs of the old buildings would start. But other parts of the River Country property could get started with clearing land, etc. in the mean time.

Bama Ed
I can’t say for sure, but I don’t think that is the plan they are going with. My understanding they hired a new design firm. But one thing is for sure, the pavilion is a goner

I just checked the WDW on-line reservation system. Nothing available after December. All dates are greyed out

I just checked the WDW on-line reservation system. Nothing available after December. All dates are greyed out
it's all but been confirmed by Disney. Several outlets reporting it and cast was supposedly notified on Friday.

I can’t say for sure, but I don’t think that is the plan they are going with. My understanding they hired a new design firm. But one thing is for sure, the pavilion is a goner

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the plans have changed, to be honest. In the years since they were originally drawn up then put on hold, more DVC has been built which could then alter the types, mix, and theme of subsequent properties that they want.

As a regular camper at Fort Wilderness, I know a DVC on RC is probably coming. I just can't imagine the Fort keeping its current vibe with a DVC property so close.

Guess the last couple years have been "borrowed time" that may be coming to an end.

Bama Ed

Hate to think how this will impact our long loved "quiet" side of Disney. Main reason for staying there was to get away from congested crowds and parking lots.

Maybe it won't be as bad as the initial old plans from 2011 showed it to be.

Time will tell.

I've got a reservation at Ft. Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2019 sitting in my basket and have pulled the trigger yet. Do you think construction will have started by then and if so, how intrusive would it be?

I've got a reservation at Ft. Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2019 sitting in my basket and have pulled the trigger yet. Do you think construction will have started by then and if so, how intrusive would it be?
This is going to be a huge question. We have a trip in Jan/Feb and I'm glad we are going then. I'm not sure we will be back for quite a few years anyway, since I have no desire to fight opening year Star Wars crowds or the 50th nightmare. But I think, given where the construction is rumored to take place, it will be very close to the Settlement and the loops on that side of the campground. 100 for Preferred, 700, 800, and 900 for premium, and 2000 for tents/pop ups will probably take the brunt of it.

I'd like to believe they'd use W. Wilderness Rd. as the access and not drive construction vehicles through FWC. If so there shouldn't be much impact on FWC. That said the safest bet would be avoid any loop in the 2000s as well as 1100 and 1200.

Least impact on guests would be using barges from the facilities docks in the NW corner of Bay Lake. How did they build the Poly cabanas on the water?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter