Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!

Last year i attended my first halloween party with my mom who has a wheelchair. Being the first party I had no idea of where to start and what to do. We hething seemed to happen, so we left and hit a few attractions like star tours jungle cruise. and then ran into a few candy trails which we tried. Before we knew it was 25 minutes before parade time and we found a spot on main street near the emporium but we were next to some rude people who blocked my mm's view in the wheel chair the whole time. We enjoyed the parade but i cant help but feel we wasted a lot of time in not knowing what to do and see. I bought tickets again this year but want to get more out of it. What does everyone else like to do and focus on?

It really depends on what you want to focus on during the party. It's almost impossible to do everything in one party, unfortunately.

If you want to focus on treat trails, hop in a line at the beginning of the party then check on the map for the next. If you want to plan for entertainment, scope out how soon people are staking out spots (at least an hour before parade is the norm). Character lines are long, but can be done if you're willing to devote time to them. If you want to focus on mostly rides, you'll have pretty low wait times so should be able to knock out quite a few.

Hopefully, there will be quite a few reports when the first couple parties happen so we'll get a more definitive idea of how this year's party looks.

We (family) talk about what we want to do/not do, then wait until people who have posted about the first couple of parties to really plot out our night.

Quick question: was double checking the costume rules (partner still hasn't decided costume!!) and noticed this small print.

Guests ages 14 and older may not wear costumes in Disney California Adventure Park on the day of the event or in Disneyland Park if entering before the commencement of the event.

I take it this means before the 3/4pm pre party start time and it's okay to wear a costume in DCA from this time? Wording is a bit odd and so I thought I'd ask the group!

Last year, we entered DCA at the start of the early entry hours (3 pm for us) in full, obvious costume, No one had any issues. There weren't hundreds of us in costume, but there were enough people dressed up to be noticeable -- many of us were dressed as characters based in DCA, so clearly we were there for photos. CMs were great about interacting with all of us!

But does a line still have to form at DCA for guests that can't enter until the designated time?..

The lines for all the turnstiles to enter DCA at the start of the MHP early entry time can get LONG (think halfway across the esplanade) -- be prepared. You'll have regular day guests park hopping and MHP guests running for GOTG:MAD and other things like that. We waited at least 25 minutes to get into DCA. Hopefully this year, DCA will be prepared with more CMs at the turnstiles and more gates open.

I have purchased Halloween tickets and looks like now I will not be using them- I was thinking of calling Disney to ask to have them refunded (I know they say non-refundable/non-transferable) I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck doing this?

You can try, but I have not read any posts recently from anyone who has done this. Disney does deal with refunds on a case by case basis, so it is worth a try. But if they won't refund the tickets, you can gift them to someone (what a magical gift!) or donate them to a charity (e.g. Children's Hospital of Orange County or Make a Wish) for a tax deduction. As you noted, MHP tickets state clearly that they are not for re-sale, are not refundable, and are non-transferable.

Last edited:
@tenneycjt :
The parties do change a little each year. Something new may be added, something older may be removed or moved around to a different location -- you'll find out as you read reports and reviews from the first few parties.
As the pp have said, it is impossible to do everything at one party, so you'll have to make a list of priorities. What are the top things that you want to do, and go from there. Always ask CMs about HC viewing areas -- there usually are special areas set aside for HC viewing for parades and fireworks -- your mom may have an easier time in one of those areas. Or a CM may be able to help you find a better spot -- just make sure to allow for enough time before the fireworks or parade. The MHP map has the entertainment schedule on it -- take a few minutes to go over that at the start of the party -- knowing that schedule can really help you plan your night efficiently.

ETA: I'm going to merge this thread with the 2018 MHP and Halloween Time Superthread -- you'll get lots of great ideas and advice there!

Last edited:
We usually start out at the Toontown pre-party and after than just go to which ever direction we choose. We always decide ahead of time which characters we are,most interested in getting pictures with, which parade to go to and when we will line up for fire works. Just plan out a few things and go from there.

Last year i attended my first halloween party with my mom who has a wheelchair. Being the first party I had no idea of where to start and what to do. We hething seemed to happen, so we left and hit a few attractions like star tours jungle cruise. and then ran into a few candy trails which we tried. Before we knew it was 25 minutes before parade time and we found a spot on main street near the emporium but we were next to some rude people who blocked my mm's view in the wheel chair the whole time. We enjoyed the parade but i cant help but feel we wasted a lot of time in not knowing what to do and see. I bought tickets again this year but want to get more out of it. What does everyone else like to do and focus on?
What are you most interested in? Entertainment? Rides? Food?
The plan I did last year, and may somewhat follow this year is a sit down dinner around 5 pm. I have Blue Bayou booked but may change my mind, just depends. I tried using the 3 hours before the party to take it easy because it is pretty crowded. Then head over to DCA to attempt Cars single rider. I did soarin last year in stand by and that was too long and boring lol. Then head back around 7 pm, or when DCA gets unbearably crowded due to everyone having to leave DL. My aunt (she's coming with me) and I are not interested in characters, so we don't care about the Toon Town party.

Last year I focused heavily on rides since they had short waits. This year I still plan on doing rides, but hopefully catching the parade, cadaver dans, and fireworks.

I’m reading different things. Will maxpass be included in the party ticket?

The lines for all the turnstiles to enter DCA at the start of the MHP early entry time can get LONG (think halfway across the esplanade) -- be prepared. You'll have regular day guests park hopping and MHP guests running for GOTG:MAD and other things like that. We waited at least 25 minutes to get into DCA. Hopefully this year, DCA will be prepared with more CMs at the turnstiles and more gates open.

This is what confuses me. I want to be in DCA right at 4, but I figured I would have to get there early to get in a long line. However, what if I’m at the head of the line 10 or 15 minutes before 4, will I be made to go to the back of the line to wait for 4 pm or will they just let me in? It seems like a weird process to let regular day guests and party guests in from the same line. Are they going to stop loads of party guests because they are 10-15 minutes early? Seems like a headache.

I’m reading different things. Will maxpass be included in the party ticket?..
This is what confuses me. I want to be in DCA right at 4, but I figured I would have to get there early to get in a long line. However, what if I’m at the head of the line 10 or 15 minutes before 4, will I be made to go to the back of the line to wait for 4 pm or will they just let me in? It seems like a weird process to let regular day guests and party guests in from the same line. Are they going to stop loads of party guests because they are 10-15 minutes early? Seems like a headache.

Some guests last year said MP was included in their MHP ticket. Others said it wasn't included in theirs. Either way, MP isn't super advantageous for MHP guests. First of all, MP doesn't work at MHP because FP doesn't work at MHP. Most lines aren't long enough to really require FP anyway. By later at night, most ride lines are fairly short, and the only two rides that get long lines, usually, are HM and SMGG. Having free PP with MP isn't a bonus because PP comes free with your MHP ticket anyway. Over at DCA, if MP does come free with your MHP ticket, it is of limited use. People last year reported that FPs for the headliners in DCA were already gone by the time the early entry hours started. (This was true at DL, too, especially since DL closes early for the party.) It is possible you could get a FP cancellation with MP, but that won't happen for every MHP guest. FPs for GOTG:MAD were gone within 15 minutes, so having MP with a party ticket wasn't much help last year. Most MHP guests just went standby.
As far as getting in right at 4 pm, you're going to have to be flexible about that. You cannot expect CMs to bend the rules for you and let you in early if you don't have a ticket that lets you in before 4 pm. You will have to time your getting in line -- maybe by letting people go ahead of you? -- until you think you can get to the turnstiles at the right time. Sometimes CMs will let you stand to the side for a few minutes until you can enter. And, yes, CMs can stop "loads of party guests" from entering without valid tickets because the guests are too early. The special MHP turnstiles are at DL because MHP takes place at DL. There haven't been special event turnstiles at DCA before because last year was the first year that park hopping was allowed on a party ticket. Maybe this year things will be different, but we can't know that yet. If you really want to be in DCA exactly at 4 pm on your MHP day, you will have to plan accordingly, be flexible, and be willing to work within the limits of your MHP ticket. If you really must be in DCA earlier, then it would be better just to buy a one day one park ticket, too, which would let you into DCA as early as you'd like to be there before MHP starts.

Last edited:
I guess i'm intereseted mostly in entertainment and rides but would like to maybe get a few character photos, I only noticed the main characters in front of the train and the line was huge,didnt get to see the cadaever dans or fireworks, Got in one character line last year only to find out it was for passholders only. Are there any attractions that are closed for the party?

I guess i'm intereseted mostly in entertainment and rides but would like to maybe get a few character photos, I only noticed the main characters in front of the train and the line was huge,didnt get to see the cadaever dans or fireworks, Got in one character line last year only to find out it was for passholders only. Are there any attractions that are closed for the party?

ToonTown will close after the PreParty (one hour before the party start until one hour after) -- so the rides there will be closed after the PreParty ends. FL will close before the fireworks and for a short time afterward. The MHP map will show where all the character M&Gs are located -- there are so many more characters than just the villains at the Main Street train station!

Thanks for the info, i will definately ask about handicapped viewing areas, How early do u think u need to be to secure a good spot, Hopefully not an hour as that takes up a lot of time. I am hoping photopass photographers are at the meet and greets I know last year we went to the princess faire and there was none so we only got 1 picture with the 2 of us in it because one of the princesses had a attendant. I really want this years party to be the highlight of our annual trip. So fun to see everyone dressed up.

PP CMs are hit or miss -- sometimes there are photographers, and sometimes just a CM who'll use your phone or camera, and sometimes you just have to ask a fellow guest to use your phone or camera. Make sure your phone or camera is fully charged and have battery back up handy. If you have time, read through the MHP/Halloween Time 2017 thread to get a good idea of what went on at last year's parties -- the set up and organization -- how other DISers chose their plan of attack -- what worked and what didn't -- etc. That will help you as you make your plans for this year. If you want to see the fireworks from the castle or Main Street, that will take up a larger amount of time than viewing from IASW. You'll have to decide how much time you're willing to invest and which view is more important to you. Like others have said, it is impossible to do everything at one MHP -- you have to prioritize and decide where you want to invest your time. Again, read through last year's thread and look at the photos -- there is a wealth of information there to help you make your plans.

Last edited:
How difficult is it to get firework viewing during the Halloween party? do you have to camp out for hours in advance like regular fireworks or because there is limited attendance is it easier to get a good view?

How difficult is it to get firework viewing during the Halloween party? do you have to camp out for hours in advance like regular fireworks or because there is limited attendance is it easier to get a good view?

HS is a very popular show. If you want to view from in front of the castle or from the front of the Hub area, you will camp out for a couple of hours or longer, just like for any other fireworks show at DL. Limited attendance doesn't = super low crowds. If capacity crowds at DL is something around 55,000 people, then even half that is "limited," but still a decent number of people in the park -- especially if a lot of them want to see fireworks from the Hub or in front of the castle. You can view HS from IASW with much less of a wait, but it won't be quite the same -- still a good show, but with projections on the building facade, not with the globe or with Zero flying. On Main Street, you can get a very good view with about an hour wait -- less time as you get further back toward Town Square.

This is just an FYI for those that are thinking of pre-purchasing their Halloween t-shirts from the ShopParks App. The black shirt with the Mickey pumpkin has "Walt Disney World" on the bottom, under the year. It's not show in the picture or in the description. I had wondered if that would be the case when I saw the shirt at DLR last week and that version said "Disneyland" underneath the date. I don't think the DLR version is available online (both ShopParks and ShopDisney appear to have only the WDW version).
upload_2018-8-21_8-15-50.png

Some guests last year said MP was included in their MHP ticket. Others said it wasn't included in theirs. Either way, MP isn't super advantageous for MHP guests. First of all, MP doesn't work at MHP because FP doesn't work at MHP. Most lines aren't long enough to really require FP anyway. By later at night, most ride lines are fairly short, and the only two rides that get long lines, usually, are HM and SMGG. Having free PP with MP isn't a bonus because PP comes free with your MHP ticket anyway. Over at DCA, if MP does come free with your MHP ticket, it is of limited use. People last year reported that FPs for the headliners in DCA were already gone by the time the early entry hours started. (This was true at DL, too, especially since DL closes early for the party.) It is possible you could get a FP cancellation with MP, but that won't happen for every MHP guest. FPs for GOTG:MAD were gone within 15 minutes, so having MP with a party ticket wasn't much help last year. Most MHP guests just went standby.

I understand the logistics of when and where I can use the maxpass. It would be nice to have, so I was hoping it was included. It’s not a big deal if it’s not. I just like to plan so information is always important to me.

As far as getting in right at 4 pm, you're going to have to be flexible about that. You cannot expect CMs to bend the rules for you and let you in early if you don't have a ticket that lets you in before 4 pm. You will have to time your getting in line -- maybe by letting people go ahead of you? -- until you think you can get to the turnstiles at the right time. Sometimes CMs will let you stand to the side for a few minutes until you can enter. And, yes, CMs can stop "loads of party guests" from entering without valid tickets because the guests are too early. The special MHP turnstiles are at DL because MHP takes place at DL. There haven't been special event turnstiles at DCA before because last year was the first year that park hopping was allowed on a party ticket. Maybe this year things will be different, but we can't know that yet. If you really want to be in DCA exactly at 4 pm on your MHP day, you will have to plan accordingly, be flexible, and be willing to work within the limits of your MHP ticket. If you really must be in DCA earlier, then it would be better just to buy a one day one park ticket, too, which would let you into DCA as early as you'd like to be there before MHP starts.

I’m not expecting the rules to be bent for me, and I don’t need to be at DCA before 4. I just want to be there right at 4 to maximize my party ticket. I’ve never done the Halloween party before, so although I’m a Disneyland veteran, this is very new to me and I really don’t know how it works. I’m willing to get there early to try to be in at 4, but it doesn’t even seem like that’s possible with how it’s currently set up. If this is all I got, that it’s all luck and time management, I will just speak to a cast member about it or hope that they change the process at DCA and create a party entrance line.

Last edited:
HS is a very popular show. If you want to view from in front of the castle or from the front of the Hub area, you will camp out for a couple of hours or longer, just like for any other fireworks show at DL. Limited attendance doesn't = super low crowds. If capacity crowds at DL is something around 55,000 people, then even half that is "limited," but still a decent number of people in the park -- especially if a lot of them want to see fireworks from the Hub or in front of the castle. You can view HS from IASW with much less of a wait, but it won't be quite the same -- still a good show, but with projections on the building facade, not with the globe or with Zero flying. On Main Street, you can get a very good view with about an hour wait -- less time as you get further back toward Town Square.

For us last year we walked up to the backside of the hub about 15 min before show time and there were spots all over. It never even filled in during the show either. I think it just depends on what that nights crowd is focused on. Candy, shows, walk on rides etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!