Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!

So happy they're keeping the party at Disneyland! At least for one more year, anyway :rolleyes:

I took a survey a couple of months ago, and the questions there strongly suggested they were going to move it to DCA. Well, in my survey answers, I strongly indicated my opposition to that idea :laughing:

I'd LOVE it if they did two separate parties - one at Disneyland aimed for the younger crowd, much like now. And one at DCA that focused on villains and brought the scare factor up a few notches for the teen and adult folks. Now, THAT would be fantastic! I'd buy tixx to each :teeth:

Actually, Knott's and Universal have the creepy, scary Halloween parties pretty much covered, so Disney doesn't really need to compete with that market. MHP fits a much needed niche -- Halloween that isn't creepy or over the top haunted or un-family friendly or adult rated -- so refreshing and so much fun!

If I apply for the regular disney visa credit card with no annual fee will I be able to purchase tickets on June 5?

Actually, Knott's and Universal have the creepy, scary Halloween parties pretty much covered, so Disney doesn't really need to compete with that market. MHP fits a much needed niche -- Halloween that isn't creepy or over the top haunted or un-family friendly or adult rated -- so refreshing and so much fun!

And I see the Knott's and USH Halloween parties as WAY too scary :laughing: because I'm a big chicken!

I was thinking of the DCA party being somewhere in the middle of Mickey's Halloween Party and the scary monster parties at Knott's and USH :thumbsup2

I kind of thought that they tried it with the first version of the Frightfully Fun Parade. That one focused on the villains, but there must have been enough complaints because last year's version did try to lighten things up and put back in some of the "cuter" Disney elements (e.g., Mickey). It would be an interesting idea to have a scarier party over in DCA, but I honestly can't imagine that they'd have two different parties in the same year. Can you imagine the amount of complaints they'd get from guests that didn't realize/know that the "other" party was meant to be scarier? I kind of feel that Disney+Halloween=Family-Friendly in most people's minds, so it would be tough to get the word out in a way that the average (non-planner, non-uber-DLR-fan) person/guest would know.

Quick question for those in the know - planning on hitting the Hallween Party Setpt 26, and I know I shouldn't worry about them selling out during the pre-sale but RunDisney has done a number on me in the paranoia department...

I have a Disney Visa but would prefer to pay for the tickets with Disney Gift Cards that I've accumulated - any chance I could enter the presale but pay using the gift cards? Or would they require me to use the Disney Visa since that is why I'm given the presale opportunity?

Thanks for any help - and HAPPY [VERY EARLY] HALLOWEEN!

I kind of thought that they tried it with the first version of the Frightfully Fun Parade. That one focused on the villains, but there must have been enough complaints because last year's version did try to lighten things up and put back in some of the "cuter" Disney elements (e.g., Mickey). It would be an interesting idea to have a scarier party over in DCA, but I honestly can't imagine that they'd have two different parties in the same year. Can you imagine the amount of complaints they'd get from guests that didn't realize/know that the "other" party was meant to be scarier? I kind of feel that Disney+Halloween=Family-Friendly in most people's minds, so it would be tough to get the word out in a way that the average (non-planner, non-uber-DLR-fan) person/guest would know.

Oh, I don't think Disney would ever do two parties. That's just my dream :laughing:

I think the frightfully Fun parade is incredible. Crazy that people would complain. Love the headless horseman, the HM dancers, and all the villains.

Quick question for those in the know - planning on hitting the Hallween Party Setpt 26, and I know I shouldn't worry about them selling out during the pre-sale but RunDisney has done a number on me in the paranoia department...

I have a Disney Visa but would prefer to pay for the tickets with Disney Gift Cards that I've accumulated - any chance I could enter the presale but pay using the gift cards? Or would they require me to use the Disney Visa since that is why I'm given the presale opportunity?

Thanks for any help - and HAPPY [VERY EARLY] HALLOWEEN!

As of the 2017 party, in order to take advantage of the pre-sale, I needed to pay for the tickets using my Disney Visa. I highly doubt the part will sell out between pre-sale and regular sale dates, but I understand your worry.

If I apply for the regular disney visa credit card with no annual fee will I be able to purchase tickets on June 5?
As long as you have the credit/debit card by then, yes you can use it to buy MHP tickets. Just remember, there is a three day weekend coming up which might delay credit card applications and mailing out of the cards.

I think the frightfully Fun parade is incredible. Crazy that people would complain. Love the headless horseman, the HM dancers, and all the villains.
The Headless Horseman was my favorite part of the parade!

I can kind of understand why guests might have complained the first year. It was probably a combination of things: a major tonal change, the lack of some of the more familiar/favorite characters, and the length of the parade. While I did like the parade, I also did notice and thought it was kind of odd to have a parade in Disneyland, but not have Mickey in the parade. So I was glad to see that they added him into the second version. I also think it made for a better opening of the parade...Mickey leading the way instead of NBC (a popular movie for DLR given HMH, but it is Mickey's Halloween Party, so it make sense to have him lead the parade.). I can also see where families with small children might have been taken a bit by surprise at how dark the parade was...not that this is a bad thing, but it was quite a change from the previous years Cavalcade, which was all cute and not-scary. Also, the first parade was pretty short, so the addition of Mickey, Ursula, a few dance groups probably helped make it feel more like a full parade (compared to longer than the Cavalcade, but shorter than a normal parade). So I can see where they felt they needed to make tweaks after the first year (I recall taking a survey asking about my impressions of the parade the first year). It didn't seem like there were as many complaints last year, so hopefully that's a good sign (though, I'd love to see other new elements added this year!).

To those who have done the party, is it worth it? DH and I will be going with my mom and two siblings. That will cost us $650 for everyone to do the party. Is it worth the cost? They will probably do a little trick or treating, but mainly hitting the rides, We will have 3 days at the parks.

It's hard to say whether anything is "worth it" because that varies by person. It would also depend on when you're thinking of going (weekday or Friday night?) and whether those funds could be used for something else in the parks (e.g., a TS meal, an extra day, a tour, etc.).

If budget is not an issue, then I'd go because the attraction lines are generally pretty short (especially by the second half of the party, except at HMH and SMGG). You can probably get a fair amount done, especially if you're not going to watch any of the party exclusive entertainment (e.g., parade, fireworks, Cadaver Dans, etc.). I did also feel like the day of the party made a difference; weekday parties that started at 6:00 pm felt like they had longer attraction lines for more of the party. I think this is because the entertainment times didn't change, so the group that doesn't leave until after fireworks were still there until closer to the end of the party (so there was only one hour after fireworks instead of two hours). It's hard to explain, but the Friday night parties seemed to have more "good" ride time after the bulk of the party exclusive entertainment had finished.

If budget is an issue and there are other things you're considering doing if you don't buy MHP tickets, then I'd probably lean towards the other things. For me, the value of the MHP ticket comes from the party exclusive activities, because I can do the rides during the day (I don't recall any attractions doing anything special during MHP). I feel like you can probably get as much done during the first few of hours of the day as you can during the MHP (partially because they didn't offer FP/Maxpass during party hours), if you get there at rope drop and use FP.

We're hoping to go October 2nd - our first DL trip! We've been to MNSSHP and MVMCP several times, but I'm excited to plan something new and different!

Can anyone tell me what sort of lines to expect for Maleficent? That's priority number one for our party night. Is it like the dwarves at MNSSHP and you need to like up 3 hours before the party starts?

Can anyone tell me what sort of lines to expect for Maleficent? That's priority number one for our party night. Is it like the dwarves at MNSSHP and you need to like up 3 hours before the party starts?
I know that vague answers are never what people want, but assuming they keep things the same this year, she'll be one of the rotating villains that meets in Town Square during the party (but not during the parade or fireworks). Last year they tried something new, where there were two fixed meet and greet locations (each with their own line) and then a couple of roaming villains. The characters do switch out periodically; I think the CMs sometimes know about when the fixed location characters change, but I don't know how often it happens or which CMs actually know versus just guessing. The villains are very popular and lines are long, but I haven't noticed that they let guests line up much in advance of the party start. Last year, I recall that the villains didn't come until after the party (about 30 minutes) started and as such, the CMs were actively discouraging guests from forming a line beforehand. On the other hand, I did see Maleficent wandering around Town Square during the party.

Just want to make sure I understand events. DH and I will be making g first trip to Disneyland Oct 29 and 30. (WDW many times). This is part of longer trip and these are dates that work. I've done the Halloween thing at WDW and while nice, I wouldn't pay for it again. I am kind of bummed that I won't get to see regular Disneyland. Anyway....given that I don't want to go to the party, is my best plan to do DL on 10/29 (not a party night) and Adventure Park on 10/30?. Will Adventure Park be crazy?

Just want to make sure I understand events. DH and I will be making g first trip to Disneyland Oct 29 and 30. (WDW many times). This is part of longer trip and these are dates that work. I've done the Halloween thing at WDW and while nice, I wouldn't pay for it again. I am kind of bummed that I won't get to see regular Disneyland. Anyway....given that I don't want to go to the party, is my best plan to do DL on 10/29 (not a party night) and Adventure Park on 10/30?. Will Adventure Park be crazy?

the 29th IS a party night.

the 29th IS a party night.

Oops, read it wrong! Thanks! So if 29th is a party night I want to go to Adventure Park on 29th and Disneyland on the 30th. Anticipating craziness....but really just want to see it, if I don't get to ride a bunch of rides, that's fine.

Since we never really know what characters will be where until they show up we don’t see that type of line behavior.

Yes. And maybe so prep for crazy crowds and be happy if they’re light. I remember reports last year that Halloween actually wasn’t too crazy in DCA despite the party going on in DL but you just never know. If you’re doing one day in each park I HIGHLY recommend MP :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!