Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!

Can you get a good fireworks spot if you don’t watch the first parade?
I am curious if anyone has lined up to be in front to get good pictures-how long did you stake out a spot before the fireworks started? Also, I cannot recall if right in front of the castle is too close to see the ball on the left.

That’s what I was afraid of! I wonder if I can use a really white thick zinc sunscreen instead of actual makeup for the Jack and Sally faces? Sounds like I’ll have to practice beforehand instead of winging it. We need sunscreen and I know the kids will want to be on the move so there’s no chance of applying the makeup while we are there.

Honestly you might be totally fine not wearing sunscreen. My daughter and I are both light-skinned (and I burn easily) and after 2/3 PM this time of year it shouldn't be that bad, especially with the make-up (it's kind of opaque, right?) acting as another barrier. I would think that a thick layer of mineral sunscreen would be a mess, and sunscreen -stings- when it gets in your eyes! Just my opinion.

That’s what I was afraid of! I wonder if I can use a really white thick zinc sunscreen instead of actual makeup for the Jack and Sally faces? Sounds like I’ll have to practice beforehand instead of winging it. We need sunscreen and I know the kids will want to be on the move so there’s no chance of applying the makeup while we are there.

@dina444444 we are there the week of 10/14 so I’m very glad to hear it’s starting to cool down! That would be the perfect weather and I wouldn’t have to worry about a sweatshirt for my perpetually cold child.
You can look into a base for make up that has SPF in it. I wear Bobby Brown makeup Base with SPF 50 before putting on my makeup. It's not cheap but I've worn that base at Disneyland & snowboarding and didn't get burned. And I'm very pale and burn within 20-30 minutes of being outside with no sunscreen.

Need some clarification: maxpass included in the party tickets correct? I think I missed this part when reading some of the older parts of this thread...

So if fastpasses are available for rides when we enter early, we can book them?

Yes, MaxPass is included with the MHP tickets this year and you can start using it as soon as you've scanned in with your MHP tickets. FP is not offered in DL during MHP, but it is available during the 3 hour overlap period and over in DCA (until that park closes).

This is right up my alley, lol! Professional theatrical makeup artist as well as a professional costumer.

You'll want to use a moisturizer anyways under the makeup to protect your skin. Theatrical makeup is particularly harsh on skin. Use one that has at least SPF 15. You'll be fine :).

Also set that makeup! I prefer to use theatrical setting powders and sprays, but that's also what I have available to me more readily. I've also cheated with my Sally costume in the past and used baby powder in a pinch because it's cheap and I was using a white base anyways. Liquid eyeliner is great for stitches, by the way. Lasts fairly well if you get decent stuff. Use some white/grey to highlight the black and it'll make them look more 3D. Or could also get some rigid collodion to deepen the middle of the "stitched together" parts to make it look more actually stitched together.

Is the Halloween party held in Disneyland each year, or does it switch between the parks? Thinking of going next year.
It has been at DL for about the last 8 years or so (someone correct me on the time please) but we never know if it will stay at DL or make the move back to DCA from year to year so it really is a crapshoot, especially with SWGE coming on-line sometime next summer. Who knows what TDA will do but I know that SWGE will be the game changer. Usually info is given around June/July for MHP - I imagine that all press releases will deal with SWGE about that time next year - there isn't a good way to predict unfortunately.

It has been at DL for about the last 8 years or so (someone correct me on the time please) but we never know if it will stay at DL or make the move back to DCA from year to year so it really is a crapshoot, especially with SWGE coming on-line sometime next summer. Who knows what TDA will do but I know that SWGE will be the game changer. Usually info is given around June/July for MHP - I imagine that all press releases will deal with SWGE about that time next year - there isn't a good way to predict unfortunately.

Thank you for the info! I figured SWGE might be a game changer next year. In the meantime, loving reading through this thread to learn more about the parties.

The crossover hours (early entry for MHP, 4-7 pm on 10/19) will be increasingly crowded as party guests enter DL, especially the front areas of the park. Back areas of the park won't be as crowded, but NOS can get pretty crowded quickly. MP/FPs will be harder to find, if there are any left by the time the early entry hours start. If you can be at DL for rope drop, get your FL rides done then. Use MP/FP wisely and book as many return times as you can get before the party guests can start booking at 4. And you will have to be out of the main part of the park by 7, not 8 -- Main Street will stay open for you for shopping until 8, but not the rest of the park. Once the party starts at 7, CMs will begin sweeping non-wristbanded guests toward the park entrance. This will continue as day guests exit rides, shops, restaurants, rest rooms, etc. Day guests will be allowed to move toward Main Street, but not further back into the park.
This is super helpful, thank you!!!

Loving all the reviews and write ups so far and can't wait to read more! The 23rd can't come fast enough!

Yay, thank you everyone for the tips! @ excitedmama we are already practicing with our makeup to figure it all out. I use an spf under my normal makeup so I’m hoping that my moisturizer will work. I have some setting powder and spray that has spf as well, so maybe something to look at. We’ll be there on the 12th, what about you guys?

Yay, thank you everyone for the tips! @ excitedmama we are already practicing with our makeup to figure it all out. I use an spf under my normal makeup so I’m hoping that my moisturizer will work. I have some setting powder and spray that has spf as well, so maybe something to look at. We’ll be there on the 12th, what about you guys?

You'll be fine with an SPF moisturizer :). And your skin will thank you for using it! And definitely do a trial run or two with makeup prior to the date you need it.

Forgot to add if y'all have any trouble getting makeup off: cold cream. It smells awful (or does to me at least), but it gets off just about everything.

I'm hoping I'll be in the parks the 8th to the 11th (no party sadly), but I still don't know for sure yet (wardrobing a show that keeps throwing surprises at me). I'm living vicariously through everyone else this year going to the parties.

I am curious if anyone has lined up to be in front to get good pictures-how long did you stake out a spot before the fireworks started? Also, I cannot recall if right in front of the castle is too close to see the ball on the left.
We did this one year by accident. Watched the first parade by the churro cart by the castle and got sucked into the undertow of people stampeding for the front rows of viewing for the fireworks. We ended up second row, center by total accident -- that's where the wave dropped us. No argument from us! Had a perfect view of everything, including the globe. Everyone was seated and remained so. There was no way we could have left, even for the restroom, if we had wanted to or tried, so be prepared. YMMV. Good luck!

We did this one year by accident. Watched the first parade by the churro cart by the castle and got sucked into the undertow of people stampeding for the front rows of viewing for the fireworks. We ended up second row, center by total accident -- that's where the wave dropped us. No argument from us! Had a perfect view of everything, including the globe. Everyone was seated and remained so. There was no way we could have left, even for the restroom, if we had wanted to or tried, so be prepared. YMMV. Good luck!

Thanks Rabbit-I will be solo for the party on the 23rd-so I can hunker down for a while if I really want to get those shots.

We are on the 16th so you’ll have to report back on your day! How’s your practice run going?

You'll be fine with an SPF moisturizer :). And your skin will thank you for using it! And definitely do a trial run or two with makeup prior to the date you need it.

Forgot to add if y'all have any trouble getting makeup off: cold cream. It smells awful (or does to me at least), but it gets off just about everything.

I'm hoping I'll be in the parks the 8th to the 11th (no party sadly), but I still don't know for sure yet (wardrobing a show that keeps throwing surprises at me). I'm living vicariously through everyone else this year going to the parties.

Thanks for the advice on the makeup remover! Any brand of cold cream you’d recommend? Any brand of wipes that you’d recommend? I have to check with the hotel but hopefully the bus runs on MHP nights so I was thinking I could bring some makeup remover wipes to try and get a head start on the kids faces on the bus back to the hotel.

Thanks for the advice on the makeup remover! Any brand of cold cream you’d recommend? Any brand of wipes that you’d recommend? I have to check with the hotel but hopefully the bus runs on MHP nights so I was thinking I could bring some makeup remover wipes to try and get a head start on the kids faces on the bus back to the hotel.

Pond's is my personal favorite. I've gotten cheap, store brand before and it didn't work nearly as well.

Makeup wipes... Hrm... I find they don't work to get EVERYTHING off, but that's a good idea to start working on the kids while in the bus back. On this one I'd say go with whatever your favorite is. Neutrogena makes a decent one that isn't too harsh on the skin. I also like Almay. I swear by their eye makeup remover wipes. My favorite liner for every day use is MAC's liquidlast and that stuff has lasted me more than 24 hours at times. Almay eye wipes are the only thing that easily removes it.

I believe they make a makeup face wipe too. I usually will use the eye remover wipes and then the face wipe because the eye remover wipes leaves a bit of oily residue behind and I use the fact wipe to help clean it away. I wear contacts so I'm hyper aware of leaving anything near my eyes.

I'm so excited to see everyone's costumes!

Thanks so much @Kender ! I’m going to make a list of your recommendations and stock up. The kids went right to sleep in August after a full day so I’m hoping if I can start wiping off the makeup it will go faster. I’m hoping DH and I can each take a kid and get it done since we will hopefully be on the bus. Now if only we had anywhere to go to dress up so I’m not just putting on the makeup and taking it off before we go! Maybe we can do a test run and go get pictures at a pumpkin patch this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter