Mickey's of Hollywood to close for several months

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
Closing this week. We're 2 months away from our trip, and every week it seems something else is going to be closed. This is now the 3rd store closed at DHS at the same time. Obviously, a store closing isn't the end of the world, but enough construction, tarps and scrims already. Why doesn't Disney do these things in phases? It just takes a lot of the atmosphere away.

I mean, they kind of are doing things in phases...there's just so much planned that truly spreading everything out would take years upon years. We're all just going to have to deal with a less than ideal DHS for a bit.
Like you said a store closing isn't the end of the world. And I can pretty much guarantee whatever merchandise they had to offer can be found at other shops. I know that's a main shop in the park, but it's just what has to be done for them to redo the park. DHS really is the only place that you're going to truly feel the construction and changes, so don't let it ruin your trip.

I mean, they kind of are doing things in phases...there's just so much planned that truly spreading everything out would take years upon years. We're all just going to have to deal with a less than ideal DHS for a bit.
Like you said a store closing isn't the end of the world. And I can pretty much guarantee whatever merchandise they had to offer can be found at other shops. I know that's a main shop in the park, but it's just what has to be done for them to redo the park. DHS really is the only place that you're going to truly feel the construction and changes, so don't let it ruin your trip.

Another announcement today. Rafiki's at AK reopening has now been pushed from spring to August. So, in addition to no WDW Railroad, we won't have the Wildlife Express train either. Tomorrowland is obviously a construction zone because of Tron. France at Epcot is under construction for the new Remy ride. The TTC is being torn apart in sections. Epcot's entrance is a mess redoing that area.

Like I said, every time we've gone for the past 5 years, it's just been a mess. For the first time in 30 years, we're staying off site. I'm more looking forward to the days at Sea World.

Making lemonade out of lemons. Sea World needs the Op's business and it sounds like they're ready for a break from WDW, so Universal is a good alternative. IMO, attractions are better too.

Another announcement today. Rafiki's at AK reopening has now been pushed from spring to August. So, in addition to no WDW Railroad, we won't have the Wildlife Express train either. Tomorrowland is obviously a construction zone because of Tron. France at Epcot is under construction for the new Remy ride. The TTC is being torn apart in sections. Epcot's entrance is a mess redoing that area.

Like I said, every time we've gone for the past 5 years, it's just been a mess. For the first time in 30 years, we're staying off site. I'm more looking forward to the days at Sea World.

Lol, then I guess don't go? Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you're purposely finding stuff to complain about. Many of the things you mentioned aren't a big deal and aren't nearly as obstructing as you make it out to be. But I won't argue. Enjoy your time at Sea World. Let us know how Sesame Street is, I'm interested in checking that out sometime.

Lol, then I guess don't go? Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you're purposely finding stuff to complain about. Many of the things you mentioned aren't a big deal and aren't nearly as obstructing as you make it out to be. But I won't argue. Enjoy your time at Sea World. Let us know how Sesame Street is, I'm interested in checking that out sometime.

Sorry. I don't look for things to complain about. But I don't defend Disney just because I love it.

Making lemonade out of lemons. Sea World needs the Op's business and it sounds like they're ready for a break from WDW, so Universal is a good alternative. IMO, attractions are better too.

We're Universal AP holders and became so after we got tired of the never ending construction at WDW. We'll be back there in December. But we still love WDW. As I said, been going for 30+ years. We miss it, but are just tired of constant dirt, cones, walls, CAT's, cranes, tarps and scrims. I'm all for improving things, and while I'm not civil engineer, I simply have to believe there's gotta be a better way.

We're Universal AP holders and became so after we got tired of the never ending construction at WDW. We'll be back there in December. But we still love WDW. As I said, been going for 30+ years. We miss it, but are just tired of constant dirt, cones, walls, CAT's, cranes, tarps and scrims. I'm all for improving things, and while I'm not civil engineer, I simply have to believe there's gotta be a better way.

I think the "better" way is to only have one thing going on at a time, which would then take years upon years. Because they would like to get it done sooner rather than later, there's a lot going on at once. I'm not saying it's not annoying or inconvenient, but I understand why it's all going on now.

I think the "better" way is to only have one thing going on at a time, which would then take years upon years. Because they would like to get it done sooner rather than later, there's a lot going on at once. I'm not saying it's not annoying or inconvenient, but I understand why it's all going on now.

I understand it too. I get it. Like I said, had Disney not rested on its laurels for so long, the guests wouldn't be dealing with so much at once. I don't find it inconvenient. I just find it disappointing to see such a beautiful place look like a major city where I live. I go to Disney to escape the everyday world.

I understand it too. I get it. Like I said, had Disney not rested on its laurels for so long, the guests wouldn't be dealing with so much at once. I don't find it inconvenient. I just find it disappointing to see such a beautiful place look like a major city where I live. I go to Disney to escape the everyday world.

They've kind of become their own enemy here. Disney World is a great place to escape the real world, but because so many people are going there to escape, the real world problems, like construction and business, takes over. Hopefully after the big construction is done (who knows when?), things will go back to being the escape it used to be.

Shoot I’m glad they are doing all this work to improve and change and add things. While it is disappointing to have scrims and closures it will be awesome to have some new experiences one day. They sat back and did next to nothing for too long.

The moat being drained at MK is what killed me last visit. What an eyesore over a such a large chunk of the park. Construction equipment and materials everywhere, not even trying to make it discreet. But I get why they don’t. One it’s not like they have a choice, the water has to be drained for work to be done. And two, they’ve pushed and pushed the boundaries of what people will accept and guess what, parks are still full.

The moat being drained at MK is what killed me last visit. What an eyesore over a such a large chunk of the park. Construction equipment and materials everywhere, not even trying to make it discreet. But I get why they don’t. One it’s not like they have a choice, the water has to be drained for work to be done. And two, they’ve pushed and pushed the boundaries of what people will accept and guess what, parks are still full.

No doubt, it's all work that has to be done. Here's what is frustrating. I couldn't even begin to keep track of all the times I've walked around the park at places they were doing work and seen cranes or stuff being worked on, that in fact wasn't being worked on. I don't like the whole "What would Walt have wanted" stuff, but anyone who knows anything about the Disney Parks knows that show was of the utmost importance to him. I remember projects done in the 90's that were done in a fraction of the time that things take now.

I have to agree. We just came back from this weekend and between the Epcot Parking lot, MK parking lot, DHS at last that was done better than last time we were there, but still the parking lot and extra mike of walking, its beginning to be too much. Last month we only encountered at DHS, not MK or Epcot, in the span on one month every single parking lot is under construction? I mean really? I get why it has to be done but it's really an eye sore and a PITA. I guess we feel that way because we literally go in do few rides and leave so its not as "quick" as we are accustomed to or would like. Each extra walk just adds more time etc if you are just hopping in for a bit.

Watch OP visit the other parks and find something to complain about there too, because clearly if shops closing bother them so much, a ride in HP land being under construction (if they're going before this June) will destroy them.

Closing this week. We're 2 months away from our trip, and every week it seems something else is going to be closed. This is now the 3rd store closed at DHS at the same time. Obviously, a store closing isn't the end of the world, but enough construction, tarps and scrims already. Why doesn't Disney do these things in phases? It just takes a lot of the atmosphere away.
When I was there a couple of weeks ago, there were signs in 2 or 3 of the closed stores that said their merchandise had been moved to Once Upon a Time, a large shop right next to the B & B show on Sunset Blvd. Maybe try that shop to find what you're looking for.

Watch OP visit the other parks and find something to complain about there too, because clearly if shops closing bother them so much, a ride in HP land being under construction (if they're going before this June) will destroy them.

Perhaps you should re-read my original post as opposed to skimming through and looking for something to insult somebody on. It's not the one store. It's the amount of construction all over the place. Besides being a lot of fun, WDW is a beautiful place, as it is supposed to be. All this construction going on at the same time ruins the effect.
I've only been on this board for about 18 months. Is there a rule I missed about posting anything but happy vibes and unicorns?

As for a ride being down, I don't have a problem with that. All rides need to be refurbished and maintained at some point. What I would have a problem with is going to the Magic Kingdom and seeing both Thunder and Splash Mountain being down at the same time. And that is my point. There is just too much going on all at the same time right now. That's my opinion.:confused3

Perhaps you should re-read my original post as opposed to skimming through and looking for something to insult somebody on. It's not the one store. It's the amount of construction all over the place. Besides being a lot of fun, WDW is a beautiful place, as it is supposed to be. All this construction going on at the same time ruins the effect.
I've only been on this board for about 18 months. Is there a rule I missed about posting anything but happy vibes and unicorns?

As for a ride being down, I don't have a problem with that. All rides need to be refurbished and maintained at some point. What I would have a problem with is going to the Magic Kingdom and seeing both Thunder and Splash Mountain being down at the same time. And that is my point. There is just too much going on all at the same time right now. That's my opinion.:confused3

How do you expect them to do new stuff if there isn't construction first?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!