• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mid 40's - too old to start?

Nolcrest

DIS Veteran
So my kids are 12 and 15 and I told my husband recently that the one thing I regret is not being a camping family. I have had the bug all summer. In july while at WDW we ate at Trails End just so I could get that campy feel. (We've stayed in the cabins before). Anyway, anyone else start camping mid-life.

Nope, we started when I was about 25 (I am 41 now). We tent camped a couple of times per year. When I was 36 we decided to get our butts off of the ground and bought a folding tent camper. Our kids (Now 16, 13, and 9) have grown up camping and love it.

My wife, who comes from a non-camping family, loves loves loves camping. She usually plans and preps our trips while I work.

I would suggest renting a camper to see if you like it. Purchasing a ton of stuff is a large investment and you may not enjoy the experience. I know several families who spent a 1,000 dollars )or more) on tents and equipment and who went camping exactly once. I also know several who loved it so much that they have upgraded their equipment every year.

The other thing is to make a commitment to try several outings before you decide if you want to continue. Everyone's first trip is a nightmare. It takes several experiences to determine your own routine and likes/dislikes.

There is no experience in the world like sitting around a campfire with friends and family, listening to music and chatting, until 2:00 in the morning.

Our family also was raised a "Camping Family" and now we have the oportunity to share that with my niece and 2 nephews - to see how much fun they have while camping makes it all worth while for me.

We really love this method of vacationing

Disney Fan Guy is right on, some love it and some hate it, it would be best to find out before you spend a chunk of money :cool:

DH & I just started camping with our children last year, we are in our very late 30's. Our children are 10, 7, & 5 and they LOVE it. DH & I both camped as children and wanted our children to have the same great family time in the big outdoors. Our last camping trip was on the Chesapeake Bay and my children learned to crab. They will all tell you it was the greatest part of summer.
I say try it, no matter what your age. There are so many places to camp. Find an area that has activities that would interest your children and go for it!
PP

Camping for us is the only way to go! Our kids are grown & moved out now & we are both in our mid-40's. We have upgraded to a pickup camper & ditched the tent, but that was due, in part, to living & camping in the northern part of the country where it can get to 20 degrees at night easily in August! But for economic reasons I would say camping is the best! You don't neeeeed elaborate equipment to start out to get the feel of it & it's great waking up to such clean fresh air! Word to the wise here...buy those canvas type air filled mattresses that you can use in water for rafts to sleep on. (real cheap in WallyWorld & stores like that)The cushion of air not only saves your back from unforseen rocks & such, but it keeps the morning dampness from creeping into your back if you have a bad back (which I do & THE main reason for getting our camper!) But give it a try! I've found those who do try it, like it more often than not. Also if you are on a smaller budget the campground is the way to go staying at WDW. You will have $$ to do more stufffff!:Pinkbounc

My family started young as everyone was either in Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts. It is an AWESOME way to spend vacation with your kids! We camped at FW twice and return there each trip to eat at Trails End. My kids are now 23 and 20 but I will bet that sometime in the future I will be back at FW with grandchildren. I may also talk my sister into going in a year or two!! Food tastes great that you cook and enjoy in the open air!!

Nolcrest, I was 47 first time I camped at FW with youngest DS. We had so much fun we're doing it again for Spring Break 2003. Better late than never!

TC:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter