Mid-spring multi-race goofiness (15.5)

OldSlowGoofyGuy

DIS Veteran
That is goofiness with a lower case 'g'.

Having signed up for my 3rd Goofy, I'm caught up in the multi-race craziness. My plan this weekend is to run 5 5ks: Friday evening, 2 on Saturday morning, 1 on Sunday morning, and 1 on Sunday afternoon.

This started last year after the Boston Marathon; I ran 2 5ks on Saturday to show my support for the running community. The thought process went like this: if I can run 2 races in one day, I wonder how many I could run in a whole weekend? Now, I'm going to find out.

My plan is to run about 2 minutes per race slower than my normal 5k pace.

I'll post results and thoughts when it's over. Wish me luck!

Having signed up for my 3rd Goofy, I'm caught up in the multi-race craziness. My plan this weekend is to run 5 5ks: Friday evening, 2 on Saturday morning, 1 on Sunday morning, and 1 on Sunday afternoon.

This started last year after the Boston Marathon; I ran 2 5ks on Saturday to show my support for the running community. The thought process went like this: if I can run 2 races in one day, I wonder how many I could run in a whole weekend? Now, I'm going to find out.

Very interesting! Very challenging! Sounds like fun!!! Good luck! :thumbsup2 And do let us know how it goes!!

I would love to do something like that...if all the races were close by and I could get to one race from the other via a bicycle or something.

If nothing else - it sounds like a very active community in which in you live!

I'm back!

My 5k time is usually 24-25 minutes. I planned to try to do these in 26:00, but found out it's hard to run a 5k slow (relatively speaking.)

It was NOT my intent to see how much hardware I could collect this weekend, but the racing gods smiled on me and I placed in all 4 races that gave awards. A big factor in that was that all of these races were small, in the 150 entrant range.

Results:
Friday PM: 24:53: 2nd Place Age Group
Saturday AM: 25:25: 1st AG
Saturday AM: 26:59: No awards given
Sunday AM: 24:23: 1st AG
Sunday PM: 25:52: Masters Champ

Here are some random thoughts:
It's hard to run a 5k slower than your normal pace, even if you know you have 4 more to do.

Since the whole weekend was devoted to running, this was actually MORE relaxing than running 1 race where you feel like you need to get on with your life.

Getting up early 2 morning in a row and getting ready for a race did duplicate the feel of the Goofy. If you're a first time Goofy, there would be some value in trying this, just to practice the logistics and to get the feel of running races 2 days in a row.

If you're running 2 races back-to-back, don't drink 3 gallons of water and eat 17 bananas after the first one.

At one of the races, I talked to a lady who had just run her first 5k. It was great to hear the pride in her voice and offer her encouragement.

At another race, I had to rescue a turtle that had wandered into the path of the race. Oddly enough, I had to do the same thing last time I raced on that course.

I swear my tolerance for pain increased as the weekend went on. I had more of a kick on Sunday. It's like my mind said 'we've already done this and lived through it, so let's kick it up a notch, the pain will end shortly.'

Since this was a one-man goofy, it was hard to not being boring-race-guy and want to tell everyone. I managed to only tell 2 people, both of whom asked how often I raced.

My reward for not being boring-race-guy was this: at the last race, I forgot to put my age on my entry. They called my name over the loud speaker, but I was out warming up. My DW (she only went to the last race), went to the scorer's table, corrected my omission, and told them about my 5 race quest. After the race, when they called my name for an award, they announced to the whole crowd that it was my 5th race of the weekend!

This was a great way to connect with the running community, meet a lot of nice people, get to know yourself a little better, experience different race vibes, AND get a long run in, 5k at a time. I would highly recommend a multi-race weekend (or even day) to anyone who is considering it.

Congrats on your races (and places)!

I swear my tolerance for pain increased as the weekend went on. I had more of a kick on Sunday. It's like my mind said 'we've already done this and lived through it, so let's kick it up a notch, the pain will end shortly.'

Hmm, very interesting. I've run Goofy the past two years, the first year 4 months after a marathon and the second year 3 months after a marathon. I run the Half with my wife, who runs 1.5 min/mile slower than my Half pace, then run the marathon by myself. In both years, I've run 1-2 minutes faster during the DW Marathon than I did in the marathons a few months before, and felt better doing it.

I've wondered if my body fuels up better because of the previous day's run, if it is mental just because I'm at Disney, or something else (altitude, since I'm from Colorado?). I've never tried running back to back races outside of Disney, but now I'm curious.

I did Goofy for the first time this past year and loved the challenge of running multiple races in a short period of time (in fact I'm signed up for Dopey).

My friend and I are doing sort of a Goofy this weekend. We live in Illinois (Chicago area). On Saturday we are running the Indy Mini half marathon in Indianapolis. Afterwards we are driving two hours to Cincinnati to run the Flying Pig full marathon the next day. We are pretty excited. We only wish we would be able to run through Disney, see Mickey and his friends and get three medals but that will have to wait until January!!

Wow KatieNIU! Your challenge makes mine sound wimpy. Not every day you get to run at the Brickyard.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm back!

My 5k time is usually 24-25 minutes. I planned to try to do these in 26:00, but found out it's hard to run a 5k slow (relatively speaking.)

It was NOT my intent to see how much hardware I could collect this weekend, but the racing gods smiled on me and I placed in all 4 races that gave awards. A big factor in that was that all of these races were small, in the 150 entrant range.

Results:
Friday PM: 24:53: 2nd Place Age Group
Saturday AM: 25:25: 1st AG
Saturday AM: 26:59: No awards given
Sunday AM: 24:23: 1st AG
Sunday PM: 25:52: Masters Champ

I like how your name is "OldSlowGoofyGuy" when you are clearly not slow! ;)

I like how your name is "OldSlowGoofyGuy" when you are clearly not slow! ;)

I thought the same thing! :rotfl2:

Great job on your challenge weekend! I agree with you that it's a great idea to simulate Goofy beforehand - not just in training but in the race environment as well. I did this when I was training for Goofy 2013 but sort of forgot about it, so I'm glad I read your thread. Thank you!

Sidenote: When I did my Goofy simulation I had a similar experience to what you had, pain-wise. My schedule was very different - a 10-miler one day followed by a 5K - the 5K went great and I actually PR'd, which I wasn't expecting. I was EXHAUSTED afterward though! :faint:

Again, congrats!!

The closest I've come to a Goofy situation is a 5k on Sat morning, 8k Sun morning and 10 mile bike ride Sunday afternoon.

The 5k was very hilly and sponsored by a brewery with lots of beer :thumbsup2 so I was not properly hydrated at all the next day. I'm looking forward to practicing with some back-to-back higher mileage runs!

RnbwSktles, I forgot to mention that I recovered between races with high-carb (not Gatorade) beverages, if you catch my draft (sp), I mean drift.

Thank you all for the comments. The 'Slow' part of my name is because these results don't translate to the longer races. I'm middle-of-the-pack 5k (maybe front in small races), but back-of-the-pack in the marathon. I have to say, these results surprised me. It was like the running gods said, "OK that seems worthwhile, let's give him those little heel-wing-things for a weekend.'

I'm not sure I'd do it again, but I'm glad I did it this time. It was a great way to shake things up and connect with the local running community.

The closest I've come to a Goofy situation is a 5k on Sat morning, 8k Sun morning and 10 mile bike ride Sunday afternoon.

The 5k was very hilly and sponsored by a brewery with lots of beer :thumbsup2 so I was not properly hydrated at all the next day. I'm looking forward to practicing with some back-to-back higher mileage runs!

I would LOVE to do something like that! It sounds like a triathlon with two races instead of swimming. I don't swim...not now anyway.

I have always wanted to do something that incorporated my bike riding...but again..without the swimming part ... I have never found anything that mixed cycling and running without swimming in it...

So is your age a secret?

Clues:
Had a home Pong game
Was the perfect age for Hot Wheels cars when they came out
Remember going to Disney World the year it opened

I have never found anything that mixed cycling and running without swimming in it...

We have quite a few (almost every weekend) duathalons here. The format is generally 5k run, 10-15 mile bike, 5k run.

On a different topic: how are you doing your quotes? I see the quote icon, and it says 'Quote:' when I used it, but it doesn't show who I'm quoting like the others do.

I would LOVE to do something like that! It sounds like a triathlon with two races instead of swimming. I don't swim...not now anyway.

I have always wanted to do something that incorporated my bike riding...but again..without the swimming part ... I have never found anything that mixed cycling and running without swimming in it...

I should have clarified that the bike ride was 5 miles to a bar...some beers...and 5 miles back :lmao:

Not really a strenuous event

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter