Midwest Dismeet 2019

Actually, your MH is about the same length as my trailer and your car trailer is about the same as my truck, so you should fit. Maybe a little off the back, but so is my trailer. You should be fine.

j

OK, I'll probably check with the campground to see what is allowable for parking on the grass

We are here!

Beautiful morning at Sangchris Lake outside Springfield, IL.

Everyone is still asleep so I headed out for some early morning pics. The campground is on a power station lake. Not huge, but the occasional fisherman coming by.

Joe and Glenda made it in mid-afternoon. Donna and I arrived about 6. Ian was off yesterday and drove up about noon to check out the Lincoln things. He has to go back today for work.

Here are a few pics.

20190629_075651-1008x756.jpg
Joe and Glenda's rig

20190629_075742-1008x756.jpg

Our site, right across the road. Site wasn't exactly level. I'm not sure I have ever had the front legs this short to get level.

20190628_194942-1008x756.jpg

The satellite gods must have felt pity for Joe. This is the first time I have been able to pick up a Cubs game. Cincinnati had their number though, so we loaded up in the truck and went to Dairy Queen not much after this.

20190629_075921-1008x756.jpg

There is a little fishing dock next to my site. Makes for a good morning shot.

j

We kinda did a whole lotta snackin' more than actual eating. LOL.
We did do lunch Saturday at Abe's Hideway. Outstanding tater tots there.
The weekend couldn't have ended any better. We dodge the storms on the way home and my reservation confirmation letter had arrived Saturday :yay:

OK, I'll take the blame for no food pics.
Recap,
Friday, Glenda and I left Chicago area about 10am ish. Arrived at campsite around 2pm. Ian arrived about 20 minutes later and assisted us in setting up our EZ UP tent.
Jim and Donna arrived around 5. We sat and chatted and snacked then went for ice cream.
Saturday we drove into Springfield to Gander RV, (Camping World bought out Gander Mountain and combined them).
We both bought a few things, I was looking for replacement battery hold down clamps but no luck.
We then went to Abe's Hideaway for lunch. The food was very good, pretty standard menu, Outstanding Tater Tots
Jim had a salad, Donna had buffalo chicken wrap, Glenda got a steak sandwich and I opted for the artery hardener sandwich.
It was an open face sandwich with buffalo chicken strips and topped with cheese fries. :scared: Saturday evening was more chatting and a good bottle of wine.
Sunday we hit a few Goodwill stores. we found a few items and Donna found a handful of good books.
Then we took Jim & Donna to Binny's Beverage Depot for some liquid refreshment shopping. Couldn't decide between the $2100 and $2300 bottle of single malt scotch:eek:
Weather was hot and humid, typical midwest, but a great time was had by all.
We were at Sangchris Lake State Park, Hickory Point Campground, this is a very beautiful, very spacious place, great views of the lake.

Thanks, Joe, for the wrap up.

I returned to a few messes at work and a bit more pool drama. I'll get to that in a minute.

We had a great time catching up with Joe and his lovely DW, Glenda. It was like seeing old friends again. It is scary how similar we all are. Lots of things in common despite being at opposite ends (and worlds) of this state.

The heart attack inducing "sandwich" Joe had on Saturday is called a "horseshoe" around here. Apparently it is a Southern thing as Joe had never heard of it. Here is the short description. Open face sandwich with some sort of meat (usually hamburger or an other appropriately breaded (fatty) meat), covered with french fries and drowned in cheese sauce (or gravy, if for breakfast) Here's a pic.

horseshoe.jpeg

For those that don't know Joe (and Glenda, but I think mostly Joe) is an addicted Disney nicknack hunter. He seems to have a gift for finding obscure Disney artifacts from any garage sale, estate sale or resale shop. I had to tag along when he suggested a few shopping trips, hoping to pick up some hints on how to find this stuff. Unfortunately none of his 6th sense rubbed off.

Overall we had a very nice, relaxing weekend. Talked a little Disney and a lot about each other. We are going to try having a mini Midwest Meet in August in Wisconsin. I have a conference outside of Madison, about an hour from bjschil's farm. I'm taking the camper and staying at a state park. Joe and Glenda may drive over from Chi-town for a few days at the state park and we'll all see if we can coax Barb and Bill to join us for an evening.

And now the pool update

Some may recall I have been trying to put in an in-ground pool since March. The Spring storms have pushed timelines way off, but the installer thought he could get started a few weeks ago. The lovely town I live in changed the pool permit last Fall and now requires a certified surveyor to submit plans instead of the "site map" the pool installer could do last year. This wasn't discovered until the installer tried to get the permit. Apparently surveyors are a rare animal around here and the installer was given a 5 week estimate before any could start. Today I had the pleasure of talking to most of the survey companies in the county and found one that could do it in 2 weeks, weather cooperating.

This timing will work out the way the rest of this project has gone. 2 weeks to survey, another week to write up the report with all the required borders, easements, utilities and the rest. Then submit to the city and get the required meet up with home owner, installer, electrician and city inspector. I figure that will take about 4 weeks... exactly the same time when I will be in St Thomas. I don't see a scoop in the ground until mid-August.

Originally, I thought I would have the pool in by my birthday in mid-July. Now I think we are shooting for Ian's birthday in mid-December.

This saga probably deserves it's own topic, but I'll keep you posted if we ever break ground.

j

Your pictures are beautiful, and we are envious. We did finish our 2nd crop haying later Saturday, before the next rounds of Rain came. So that’s a wrap for another 28 days! On Monday, we decided to go camping with locals all the way, 7 miles, from our house! We have to keep an eye on the river and rains, as more is expected. Imagine that!! We will be more than happy to come and visit for a mini mini DisMeet. As time gets closer, Jim, just let me know what date works, and what we need to bring. Is Joe planning on camping? Have a great week, and good luck on the pool, during this very moist 2019.

As time gets closer, Jim, just let me know what date works, and what we need to bring. Is Joe planning on camping? Have a great week, and good luck on the pool, during this very moist 2019.
Barb,

Joe is considering coming over. The site next to me (54) is still open. I come in on Sunday August 25th and head home on Thursday the 29th. Joe was looking into coming over from Sunday to Wednesday.

I know I have a conference thing Tuesday afternoon/evening, but the other days I should be back to Blue Mound by the afternoon.

j

@bjschil Barb, we're booked Sunday the 25th through Tuesday the 27th. Will be in touch when time gets closer to meet up for Midwest Dismeet 2019 #2

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Barb- I changed up my site at Blue Mounds- Thank you for the pic of site 52. Joe and I looked at sites that would accommodate us and we thought 37 and 39 would be a better fit for us. They are long enough for me and Joe is pretty sure he can get his MH, car and car trailer in the 75ft deep site. Both are 30 amp sites, but I doubt we will need both A/C units in Wisconsin in late August. :)

It looks like Sunday afternoon/evening or Monday evening are the best time to get together. I have a conference function Tuesday late afternoon.

j

We may try and reserve a site. I doubt it will be too busy at that time. We will definitely make plans to see you if camping does not work.

Soooo, as @Teamubr has a conference in Verona WI, we are planning a short Midwest Dismeet #2. We will both be arriving Sunday the 25th at Blue Mounds State Park.

No real plans set yet as we will see what Jim's schedule is, but will be planning to meet up with @bjschil either at the campground or their farmstead,
whichever works best for all :drive::thumbsup2

Thanks, Jim and Joe. We have been in Custer State Park, riding UTV’s all over. Needles Highway, the Pigtail loop, and gravel mountain roads, enjoying this vast open space, We left last Saturday, and will begin our journey hone tomorrow. We will do a first, boondocking at a WalMart somewhere in western Iowa. We plan to come up to Bkue Mounds SP to visit, or any and or all of you are welcome to come down to the farm. I think I can round up a double seater if you would like to go for some UTV riding on our trails. Will keep in touch. Undecided about camping there, but will definitely come up and visit.

Just back from a 2 day mini Dismeet.
@Teamubr had a confernce in Wisconsin. DW and I went up to meet him at Blue Mounds state park. Nice place, kinda tight sites and roadway. Even though it was drizzly and kinda dismal day, @bjschil and DH came by on monday afternoon and we had brat's and burgers and drinks and laughs. Great little getaway for couple days.

It was great seeing you and the DW again, even if I was at "work" all day. It's too bad you had to leave today, the weather was fantastic.

j

Thank you Joe and Glenda for hosting a great dinner, fun, drinks, and visit. We wish you did not have to leave early (darn work!), but next time we will plan better. Take care and great to see you again. We were glad that your treasure hunt in Madison was a good day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!