Might be able to take my 1st solo trip

I just booked my first solo trip too! I had to go to Gainesville so couldn't resist a bit of a side trip. Following along for to get everyone's advice :)

I did a solo trip last December after a conference where I did AK in the morning and then a trip over to Sanaa for a late lunch and then back to AK. I carved out more time than needed for the trip over to AKL because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss my reservation time and ended up checking out the lobbies and observation areas which was a nice experience in itself, especially looking over the different art pieces and having a moment to sit in a rocking chair on the balcony overlooking the animals and just relax.

I did the bread service (recommended) and a entree which meant I ended up boxing up the bread service leftovers for the trip back to AK and using it as an excuse not to go on Expedition Everest (I wasn't scared, I just didn't want the dipping sauces to spill... honest).

The rest of the trip was pretty much my regular pace (best described as a frenetic gerbil) but having that one afternoon as something a bit more slow paced was nice and the experience stands out.

P.S. I did end up going on Expedition Everest on the morning before I flew back home as my last ride in the parks (and managed to do it 3 times on my last trip in June... now tied with Big Thunder Mountain as my favourite coaster at the parks).
I booked Sanaa for a different day because the bread service (and wandering that gorgeous resort) is one of my must-dos.

Big Thunder is my favorite but honestly BTMR, Space, and 7DMT are the only Disney coasters I've ridden. Looking forward to trying Everest!

I didn't read all the replies, but you said you really wished you could stay in the Wilderness Lodge. If you're up for it you could switch hotels and do a night or two there. I think it's called a "split stay." I haven't done that but have read a lot of posts of others who have. I changed my long standing Disney reservation so that I could have 2 nights at Universal and get their perks, for our next vacation. It just means spending some time with them on the phone (the Disney line). To me, traveling alone would be a perfect time to try that out. BTW I've taken many vacations as a mom alone but not one to Disney yet.....sounds like a really great idea. Enjoy! :)

I didn't read all the replies, but you said you really wished you could stay in the Wilderness Lodge. If you're up for it you could switch hotels and do a night or two there. I think it's called a "split stay." I haven't done that but have read a lot of posts of others who have. I changed my long standing Disney reservation so that I could have 2 nights at Universal and get their perks, for our next vacation. It just means spending some time with them on the phone (the Disney line). To me, traveling alone would be a perfect time to try that out. BTW I've taken many vacations as a mom alone but not one to Disney yet.....sounds like a really great idea. Enjoy! :)
I did consider a couple nights at WL but I don't think I'm going to do much resort time so I'm having a hard time justifying the cost.

If I was taking a more relaxing/leisurely trip I think I could convince myself.

i'm going Monday for a solo trip 4 nights. Villains on Thursday.
Illuminations isn't hard to get a good view from practically anywhere. Mk Garden Plaza view is nice. Its expensive but cheaper for 1 than when I have the family lol! I justify it on 1 night by not eating at expensive places for that day... but you can get good spots without it.

BOG for lunch is not my favorite choice. I think its way over priced.

Staying at AKL the first 2 nights then OKW. Dinner 1 night at Cape May and 1 night at Boma. otherwise ill wing it.

Hope you have a great time!

i'm going Monday for a solo trip 4 nights. Villains on Thursday.
Illuminations isn't hard to get a good view from practically anywhere. Mk Garden Plaza view is nice. Its expensive but cheaper for 1 than when I have the family lol! I justify it on 1 night by not eating at expensive places for that day... but you can get good spots without it.

BOG for lunch is not my favorite choice. I think its way over priced.

Staying at AKL the first 2 nights then OKW. Dinner 1 night at Cape May and 1 night at Boma. otherwise ill wing it.

Hope you have a great time!
Sounds like a great plan. Have fun!

I'm not crazy about BOG but I need a guaranteed cool place to sit for a while.

I don't want to go to LTT because that's my son's favorite restaurant on property and I'd feel too bad being there without him.

Haven't been able to book a good time at Plaza. Tony's has too many bad reviews. Don't want a character meal (Crystal Palace). Hmmm. Maybe I should check out Skipper's Canteen menu.

Am I overlooking someplace?

I have a package deal that I have to cancel in the next couple of days that I haven't found anyone to share it with! I decided to go solo.... But if you are interested.... It is 8/11-8/17 includes 5 day park hopper passes, 2 fast food meals and 2 snacks per day, refillable mug, accommodations at Disney resort.... It is $850 each for 2 of us!!! Let me know if you are interested!

I have a package deal that I have to cancel in the next couple of days that I haven't found anyone to share it with! I decided to go solo.... But if you are interested.... It is 8/11-8/17 includes 5 day park hopper passes, 2 fast food meals and 2 snacks per day, refillable mug, accommodations at Disney resort.... It is $850 each for 2 of us!!! Let me know if you are interested!

Thanks for the offer. It really sounds like a good deal. I can't travel then, though.

Have an amazing time.

I'm having fun tweaking things every day. Just switched out 50s PT for Brown Derby. I want to try new places and I'm kind of thinking about not doing ANY of the same restaurants I've done with my son.

Although that means I'll have to give up Sanaa and BOG.

I think I'm going a little crazy with the add-ons. But when I'm not multiplying the cost since I'm solo AND when some are things I couldn't do with my kids anyway I always seem to justify it to myself.

MK Fireworks dessert party
KTTK tour
FOLK dining package (it's how I got my Tiffins lunch)

And I'm considering adding AK After Hours but I really am concerned I'm going to completely wear myself out.

DHS EMM is sold out but I may check availability a day or two before.

This really is sort of a once-in-a-lifetime trip to go on my own like this.

Not sure I'm thrilled about Rainforest but none of the other TS restaurants in AK appeal to me. Well, I like the food at Tusker House but I don't want to pay for a character meal. Thought about Sanaa but I don't want to use that travel time in the middle of the day.

Nomad Lounge (next to Tiffins) is an outstanding place to take a break in the A/C, and doesn’t require an ADR. They serve excellent drinks (soft and adult) and super-tasty small plates including the bread service from Tiffins. I love stopping there on a hot afternoon, sinking into one of those deep chairs and savoring the atmosphere and flavors. Feels like escaping into a different world.

I’m excited for you & your solo trip! I usually try to arrive a few days before my family or stay a few days after just to get to enjoy alone time. I’ve rarely made ADRs because I can usually get a table for one last minute just about anywhere , including BOG! I’ve also discovered eating in lounges is easy as a solo traveler if you don’t want to be tied down for every meal. I know you’re going to have a wonderful time & hope you’ll report back to tell us all about it!

Nomad Lounge (next to Tiffins) is an outstanding place to take a break in the A/C, and doesn’t require an ADR. They serve excellent drinks (soft and adult) and super-tasty small plates including the bread service from Tiffins. I love stopping there on a hot afternoon, sinking into one of those deep chairs and savoring the atmosphere and flavors. Feels like escaping into a different world.

This sounds absolutely delightful.

I’m excited for you & your solo trip! I usually try to arrive a few days before my family or stay a few days after just to get to enjoy alone time. I’ve rarely made ADRs because I can usually get a table for one last minute just about anywhere , including BOG! I’ve also discovered eating in lounges is easy as a solo traveler if you don’t want to be tied down for every meal. I know you’re going to have a wonderful time & hope you’ll report back to tell us all about it!

Thinking of posting during my trip. If I'm not too exhausted I will. It will help me remember everything later, too.

I'm glad someone who's actually experienced it suggested this, because Nomad Lounge is on my to-do list for my January solo trip. Seems like a nice compromise when I'm not jazzed enough about the menu at Tiffins to pay full Tiffins prices--smaller plates and a couple drinks sounds like a really nice way to unwind for a while in the afternoon.

Well, I guess it's really happening. My flight leaves in about 8 hours. My suitcase is in the car.

I'm excited and a little nervous with anticipation and I should be sleeping but of course I'm not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!