Might need and ECV, might not

DumboDash2006

Mouseketeer
We are going the last week in March. DD (18) has rheumatoid arthritis (along with type 1 diabetes, ibs and possible POTS). Right now she is doing very well and has been for the last year and then some. However she does occasionally have bad days. They are rare but happen. And sometimes her knees bother her after a long day.

She likely won't need and ECV but it's possible that she might, especially later in the day. Is it possible to rent one later in the day IF needed? Or too late by that point? We can just go back to our condo if necessary, most days we will probably be done by mid afternoon. But we do plan to stay all day one day at least.

Whether or not an ECV is available later in the day depends on inventory, if someone has returned one rented earlier, and/or if there is a waiting list.

Most likely you can rent a wheelchair at any time. Very rarely do they run out of those.

Enjoy your vacation!

Renting at Disney is pricy if you rent off sight it is much cheeped she can use it when she needs and and park it when she dose not need it having something you know you have can be a good thing at the end of the day getting back to your car or what every

My recommendation is to rent one from an off site company and have her use it from the start.

Around home and day to day activities are A LOT different than going all day in the parks and honestly if she starts without an ECV, she may be worn out by the afternoon/evening to the point she wants to leave early. And don't underestimate how going multiple days, even for partial days will take its toll on her as well. Many of the off site companies have ECVs that can be transported in vehicles, just make sure they are aware you will need that.

It might be easier to rent one off-site (there's several recommended vendors here on the boards if you're not sure where to look). It sounds like you're staying off-site and driving? For a lot of people, that trek back to the parking lot can be rough at the end of the day, and a Disney ECV rental won't be able to get you back to the car. Disney days aren't anything like a "normal" day, in good and bad ways, and they can be exhausting for people without any other issues piled on top. Renting an ECV (or wheelchair, whichever you're more comfortable with) might allow all of you to have longer and more leisurely park days.

If the rhumethoid arthritis is in your daughter's hands and fingers can she manuever a scooter would be my first concern. She could hurt herself or another guest. I would certainly practice with a free store scooter to see how she does with one. You have Disney guests who will dart out in front of a scooter. Can your daughter stop quickly?

The normal trek is 6 miles a day through the parks. You have to consider the walking you do going in and out of rides and shows. Getting in and out of the rides might be tiring and hurtful enough without walking all day.

Certainly alternate rides and shows; so, there is a rest period with seeing a show. Eating a meal in the park provides a rest period, too.

If you are going during a spring break week park scooters could be hard to come by; unless, you go early.

If you have a local zoo near by where you live you might want to enjoy a day there and see how it goes. Most zoos rent scooters and you could practice with one there. Most would say it's still harder to navigate a scooter at Disney because of the crowds and ride queues.

If your daughter could handle a scooter then I feel it's the way to go. You will definitely be able to last longer in the parks. Park tickets aren't free; so, getting more time in the park using a scooter is a good thing and worth the money.

You can try the first day without one to see how it goes. Maybe, you could alternate days of using a scooter. It will just depend on her endurance and pain level. What hurts with Disney is you are going at it day after day. It you have the luxury of taking a day off in the middle of your trip and do a rest and easy day that could help if you are not going to use a scooter.

I would rent one for use as needed. As stated above there is a lot of walking involved and why take a chance? I recommend Walker Mobility. They will deliver and pick up to your location and I have never had a problem with their scooters. Be sure to have plenty of water as I have been to Orlando in mid-March and it can get warm and humid. Enjoy.

Sorry for the really late reply.

Well I asked her about it the other day and she was horrified at the suggestion and says no way. So there is that. However I will keep it in mind. I think for now we will plan on her walking and then if she is having trouble later in the day, getting a wheelchair. Or after the first day or two, if necessary and she's ok with it, getting an ECV first thing in the morning.

Most of the time she is fine and can walk all over no problem. But still, that's a lot of walking. I think our first day will be the hardest also. We are not doing park hoppers and that will be our only day at Epcot which after the MK, has the most items we really want to see and do and so we will probably be there all day and later. So it will be a good indicator of how the rest of the week will be. We plan on taking a mid day break on our first MK day and I anticipate our AK and HS days will be shorter as there isn't as much that we MUST see. Especially at HS as we aren't Star Wars fans.

OP, my daughter is horrified that I suggested renting a scooter for our trip in 10 days. She has POTS, lupus, and a handful of other issues, and this will be our first trip back since she was diagnosed. She spent a few hours at a museum today and is in pain from the walking; I know Disney will be MUCH worse, especially going from single digit temps to the mid 80's. If we end up renting, I will try to post back here to provide an update.

OP, my daughter is horrified that I suggested renting a scooter for our trip in 10 days. She has POTS, lupus, and a handful of other issues, and this will be our first trip back since she was diagnosed. She spent a few hours at a museum today and is in pain from the walking; I know Disney will be MUCH worse, especially going from single digit temps to the mid 80's. If we end up renting, I will try to post back here to provide an update.

I also was horrified and refused to rent a scooter, even though my bad back and walking issues were rapidly getting worse. Finally one day I couldn't take the pain any more and rented one. I immediately got on my phone, in tears, telling DH (solo trip) "I FINALLY had to rent an ECV!" But within a short time, I wondered why I'd waited and fought it so long. Maybe she'll just have to make the decision herself. No one could convince me. But I'd suggest that you be right there for her when she does break down and help her get an off-site scooter. Yes, some places will deliver a scooter immediately (Buena Vista Scooters often does). The reason I suggest that is that daily rentals at the parks is much more costly, and only gets you a scooter IN THE PARK (and there's no guarantee you'll get one), not to and from the bus, around the resort, etc. If she's concerned about not being "scooter age"(elderly), I've seen lots of young people on scooters.

Here are top 5 Reasons that people think they shouldn't get an ECV when they should.

I can't drive one. Go to your local Costco/Walmart/Target or other large store. They probably have an electric cart type thing that you could use while shopping. Try it out. I bet you can drive it.

People might think I don't really need it because I can walk. Are these people going to share the pain with you at the end of the day? Do you care what they think? Save your walking energy between rides and use it for lines or getting on the rides. Enjoy your family and your vacation.

It will slow my family down. No, actually it will speed your family up. No more rests because mom is tired. No more going back to the hotel because grandpa is in pain. No more cranky mommy because she tried to walk miles and miles in Disney instead of renting an ECV. You are completely mobile on your own (nobody pushing you in a wheelchair). What's the slow down here?

It's expensive. Um, how much are you spending on this vacation? Don't you want to enjoy it? If money is that tight, take a day off of your trip and spend that money on the ECV so you can enjoy it!

I don't want my kids/family to think I am disabled. You are either temporarily or permanently disabled in some way if you are even asking about this issue...once again, why not make it a better vacation by saving yourself from pain? Nobody is saying you have to confine yourself to a wheelchair permanently or you should not stop trying to get better. If somebody told you to go walk 4 miles, you would think they are crazy. But you are paying for the privilege when you go to Disney to do just that...why not use an ECV to make your family's vacation better?

I have RA and have used an ECV at WDW in the past- and I must be honest- it was really wonderful- but I was in worse shape then. And it did have its drawbacks, primarily the getting it to and from the parks. Also, it was pretty inconvenient when it came to rides (you probably know this, but having an ECV or wheelchair DOES NOT make it easier/faster overall to get on rides or see shows).

So, this trip, I'm not going to rent one in advance. I know all the arguments pro & con, but this is my choice.

I do think that you have to honor your daughter's feeling about the ECV (as misplaced as it might be). You've been to WDW before, so you know what you're up against in terms of walking. But it's really hard having a chronic illness and it must be even worse being young and having this problem. Give her the facts and options, and let her decide. She'll be having to make these choices her whole life long, might as well start now. I know it's really hard as a mother to even take a chance on seeing your daughter in pain- my family was very happy that I had rented an ECV. None of us who have a mobility issue want to disrupt anyone else's trip if we can help it. These are really hard choices so there's a lot to consider, I'm not sure there is a right answer except to give it a try one way or the other and be ready to change course if it doesn't work out.

If she decides against renting an ECV for entire trip, you should have a back-up plan (as do I). If they run out of ECVs at the parks, are there plenty of healthy folks in your party who can push her if only wheelchairs are available? Will they mind doing so? Have you checked with some local companies to see if they can deliver an ECV on short notice if you decide to rent one part-way through your trip? Does she have access to extra pain medicine if she needs it? Do you have a handicapped placard to use if you have your own car? She may not have needed any of this before, but little things can make a big difference at WDW. One thing I've learned to do is to sit down at every opportunity- even if I feel fine. Because it all adds up over the course of the day, and by the time she feels bad it may be too late.

So if she doesn't want an ECV, there are lots of little things that can help, but be ready to change plans if it doesn't work out the way she hopes. Good luck!

I know you only have a couple of weeks left before your trip. I would absolutely do a practice run and go to a zoo. Zoos rent scooters. If she can handle the zoo without a scooter she might have a chance at Disney.

Still Disney is everyday, not just one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter