Migraines

dakcp2001

<font color=darkorchid>Am I wrong to want a cashie
Do you take anything for them? Does it work? I have suffered from them for years. But lately nothing wil. Even touch it. I used to have luck with Excedrine migraine, but lately nothing helps. I am really struggling. I have a lot of patients with all kinds of scripts for their migraines, but not sure if any work. Ill have to start asking people what has actually worked for them. I am curious if anything ever helps. My doctor thinks I should just call out of work , turn off the lights and relax, but that is completely unrealistic considering I Get one at least once a week. I think they might be sinus related.

Do you see a neurologist? I have had chronic migraines for years, and the suffering is immense. I take many rx drugs: Maxalt. Relpax, Sumavel injections, Topomax, Zofran for the accompanying nausea, and I started Botox injections last year. I still get migraines, but not as many. They don't last as many days as they used to, either. What used to be a 12 day migraine is now a 2 day migraine. So there is hope. Good luck to you.

I take Relpax. I have taken other prescriptions in the past, but this one is the only one that didn't have a side effect for me. Others would get rid of the migraine, but I would have pain between my shoulders for the next two days or so. You just have to experiment to see what works for you. Ask your doctor if he has any samples you can try before you commit yourself to one prescription.

I started taking magnesium everyday and it seems to be helping. I also have a prescription for zomig if all else fails.

It sounds like you need a preventative like Relpax or Maxalt. I used to take Relpax and am now on Maxalt and it works pretty well if I take it at the first sign of a migraine. I also have a prescription for Zofran for the nausea I always get with a migraine. If all else fails and I still get a full blown migraine (mine are very, very bad), I have a prescription for a narcotic "rescue" medicine.

Given the frequency of your migraines, I would see your doctor again or see a different one.

Good luck! I hope you get some relief soon.

I used to get migraines, thankfully not as often as you. Then I was prescribed a beta blocker (atenolol) for high blood pressure. No more migraines. Beta blockers can help prevent them.

I have had migraines since I was six. So far I haven't come up w/ the magic bullet.

Something is really going on the past few weeks w/ migraines. Everywhere I go people are complaining about them, including people who say they rarely, if ever, get a headache. The past two and a half weeks I've had migraines worse than they've been for ten years.

I take Imitrex (Sumatriptan) when I get one. Takes about 30 minutes to work but does work for me. Sometimes it makes me a bit nauseous, but not to bad and not as much as I would be with the migraine. If I eat something like crackers or pretzels, I'm fine.

I have had headaches and migraines all my life and this does help me.

Just read above post, and I got up with 1 this morning and had to take some Imitrex!

I used to have migraines, about 30 years ago. I was on a prescription medication at that time called Cafergot I think...it made me nauseous though. The last one I had hurt bad enough I went to the hospital for a shot. Then I went to a chiropractor for neck adjustments a few times and haven't had one since. Rarely even get a regular tension headache either.

Do you take a sinus medication with the Excedrin Migraine. Try that.

I used to use Advil Sinus until they didn't make it anymore. Now I take Sudafed and Advil when I feel it coming on. If that doesn't work, then I pull out the Imetrex.

My migraines seem to be hormonal. I used to get my migraines along with my period and not really to often otherwise. I take a low dose birth control for three months at a time to keep my hormone levels regular. In the last year, I haven't had a real migraine (knock on wood) when I do my week without. I hope that keeps up.

I agree that a chiropractor might be helpful or an accupuncturist might as well.

I woke up with a migraine this morning. I take Maxalt for mine. I also have an Rx for the Imitrex injections but they are more expensive so I save those for the really bad migraines. It is amazing, the progress they have made in meds for migraines but they are still very expensive. Luckily I have insurance that helps with the costs but I feel sorry for those that don't and have to suffer with whatever they can find over the counter.

TC :cool1:

I don't experience migraine headaches myself, but have read a few times now of those with them finding relief after eating a low carb diet. Saw another article along those lines the other day. Thought it might be of help.

"You know what, Wheat? You give me a headache!"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/09/you-know-what-wheat-you-give-me-a-headache/

sample from the article:

Kathy posted this story of successful relief from decades of migraine headaches.

And, oh yes, she also lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks: no extreme exercise or calorie counting required!

Dr Davis, here is my story so far. Today, Sept. 9th, is the start of my fourth week on the wheat-free, grain-free way of life. I didn’t say “diet” because, when I tell you my results, you’ll understand why I’m not going back to eating foods that have been incapacitating me since the 1980′s....

I feel your pain as I suffered many years :sad1:. Tried everything incl Imitrex with sadly no relief. Like Breezy_Carol, thankfully my doctor suggested the Beta blocker, Atenolol, and it works like a charm :). I take 1/2 pill daily, on my ins plan I pay 50¢ mo. Best wishes to you and the many others suffering and needing relief. :hug:

Praise God, I haven't had a migraine in over 20 yrs! :worship:

when its really early and mostly just a headache coming on I use a genric (walmart) over the counter migrane pill (caffine/actiometaphin/asprin). This works remarkably well. I don't even pause in my day. I have had to take two a couple of times, which is the dose but I tend to take one and then wait an hour then take another if it doesn't disappear.

When I get visual distortions along with the beginnings of the headache I take my prescription meds. I use Dolgic which is actually an older med but it works for me. (caffine/actiametaphin/some barbituate that I don't remember).

If I catch it early then one is all I need. And I can still work and function through the pain. If one dose does not work then I do a second dose and begin to elimanate stimuli.

If I still have it after two doses then I take a third and go to bed because only sleep and drugs will work at that point.

I've suffered from migraines since I was a teen. My triggers are heat (not good living in South Texas!) and hormones. I take Maxalt when I start to feel a migraine coming on. What finally gave me some relief though was when my doctor put me on amitriptyline. I take that every night as a preventative and it has helped tremendously. I used to get a migraine almost daily in the summer, so bad that I would be throwing up and basically couldn't function. Now I might get one a couple of times a month in the summer and rarely once the weather starts to cool down.

I just had a migraine Sunday night into Monday. Thankfully I only get them couple times a month instead of weekly like I was. I refuse to take anything for them other than Advil PM. I also use an ice pack to go under my head and BioFreeze for my neck and head area. Massage and chiropractors visits help a great deal as well.

This is an old thread, but I just want to contribute something since I feel like shouting it from the rooftops! I've had migraines for 20 years, and they were so bad after having kids that I went through a 250-count bottle of Excedrin in just over a year. I tried all types of over the counter and presciption meds-- Topamax, Relpax, Zomig, etc... but none of them worked, or if they did work, they'd make me feel so groggy I could barely stand.

When meeting with my OB-GYN, the first doctor at the practice told me that if I felt that the headaches were worse during my period, I could switch to a low-hormone birth-control pill. I took that under advisement but figured it was wrong since I had headaches ALL the time, not just during my monthly. A year later, when I met with another doctor at the practice, he looked over my symptoms and told me I should go off the pill entirely. I was very skeptical! And very confused, as I had been on the pill for over 20 years.

That was three months ago. My life has been full of stress since then, but amazingly...I have not had a single headache since.

:)

If other avenues have been exhausted I suggest seeing a cardiologist and getting an echo. I had chronic migraines since about age 12. They got progressively worse after I had my second child. I'd have them for days and experience a lot more numbness in the extremities and vision problems and pain than in past years. Turns out I had a congenital heart defect. I had open heart surgery to correct it in June 2011 and haven't had a migraine since.

Edited to add that if you are having issues with fatigue in addition to the migraines, a visit to a cardiologist is in order.

Do you take anything for them? Does it work? I have suffered from them for years. But lately nothing wil. Even touch it. I used to have luck with Excedrine migraine, but lately nothing helps. I am really struggling. I have a lot of patients with all kinds of scripts for their migraines, but not sure if any work. Ill have to start asking people what has actually worked for them. I am curious if anything ever helps. My doctor thinks I should just call out of work , turn off the lights and relax, but that is completely unrealistic considering I Get one at least once a week. I think they might be sinus related.

Can be coming from the cervical spine not the vascular migraine, more Cuervo genic. I treat with trigger points, cervical epidural in the C-5 for the long term relief. Toradol really helps as anti inflammatory but it is kick but aspirin med, watched closely. Once a week is fine, but not good daily.

Get a good examin with physiatrist to see if this is your need.

I use Valium for trapezius spasms to prevent the frequent flares. Does it hurt behind your shoulders if you press, have problems holding up a blow dryer or the phone?
Cervical strain from being on the mobile devices, computers or past injury can flare these nerves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter