Mindset advice! Tip from a new to the forum guy

avado

Earning My Ears
Greetings. This is my first post to this forum. I have watched the Dis since 2017 when we had a World trip planned. I'll start with the tip upfront, then get into the why of it.

Yes, Disney vacations are the best... But don't let a delay/reschedule ruin your life. :).Ivee heard some folks think it's the end of the world of their trip gets delayed.. I believe the attitude is key. Don't let it get you down if something comes up and you have to out your holiday on hold.

How can I say this? Well.. In January 2017 my wife and I decided to go to Disney world. We had been for one day just after we were married and we wanted more. So we got to planning. Reserved 8 days at Pop. Paid the deposit. Bought our airline tickets. All set for arrival.. Sept 9... Oops. Did I give it away? :)

When free dining came up, we got it! We were stoked. Had all our dining reservations set exactly how we wanted them. Everything was set. The September came... And that b%tch.. Irma...

Being from the middle of Canada, my wife hadn't seen the ocean. How bad could a hurricane be? Right up til the 7th we were planning on going. A friend told me, if it breaks south you are golden... Irma did not break south... Sigh. So very disappointed we called World, wondering what could be done. That's when we learned they were very happy to reschedule us (they need the room for hurricane folks and really didn't want to have us as part of it). So on September 7, we rescheduled for Jan 17 2018 which means we lost ALL our dining reservations.. We lost the free dining.. We added two days for some reason and added $1600 US (I'm Canadian) to our bottom line... Yikes. Then we called about our airline... And believe it or not, delta didn't want us flying into Irma either so they allowed us to move out tickets to jan... For no extra cost (actually $12 cheaper).

Yeah.. We were so happy... Lol. Sigh. So Jan 17 comes and off we go, clueless about what lay ahead. Our first day in MK we said "hey. Disney said something about fp we can use any time so let's try it". We walk over to Haunted Mansion and try our band.. Nope. Hmm.. We ask but they send us to customer service. We find them and ask about how to use fp... The guy checks our account and says "wow". We were confused.. He asked us about our history so we told him (above story). He smiles and says "wow. What you have here is better than what we get as employees. I have never seen this sort of thing. But let me explain to u what u have.. You have the three fp that you scheduled. You also have the fp.. Three a day.. Which they gave you from your last reservation. See here.. You had two days at epcot set. So you now have fp that you do not have to schedule.. You can walk on any time.. For test track, frozen, soarn. You have three days scheduled this trip.. So you have three days of this... ".

So by putting off our trip for 4 months because of a hurricane, we had a day at epcot where we fp All the tier 1 rides all day... We ended up riding Soarn (my wife's favorite) 9 times all fp... We did that at mine train, tower of terror. We had so many fast passes, we left and still had rides (not actually as they expired).. Truly a trip of a lifetime. Heck, we rode Flight of passage twice in an hour when the line was 2 hours.. With one scheduled fp. And an extraordinary cast member (no the super passes didn't work on avatar rides) ... That's another story!

So really.. My tip is to set up a vacation completely for September, have a hurricane hit the day you were to arrive (Irma hit Sept 9 the day we were to land) and pay extra for more days! It's worth it. :)

So.. We have a new date set for World... Sept 7. This time no hurricane.. Plz.

Awesome story! I agree, gotta roll with the punches, and state of mind is everything!

Have fun in September, hopefully no hurricanes!

I agree. My husband and I went to WDW for our honeymoon back in 2004. Our last full day there, hurricane Charlie hit. They closed down the parks and sent everyone back to their resort several hours ahead of the storm, so we took a nap. It was a crazy night as the hurricane passed over us. But the resorts fed single person dinner, sent characters up and down the hallways to keep the kids (and adults!) spirits up, so there was lots of opportunity for one on one time with them. And Disney movies played on the tv. The next morning, the tree outside our 3rd floor room was gone and there leaves inside our room, despite the windows staying firmly shut the entire time. A walk around the resort showed many more trees uprooted and a pool full of leaves. But the parks still opened and characters greeted guests as if nothing had happened. And the parks were so empty we got to do basically whatever we wanted with no wait. When we checked out, they gave us a resort voucher for I think 2 or 3 nights valid anytime over the next 5 years. They really do everything possible to make sure you have a wonderful trip, even if things go wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!