Mini fridge/freezer

scarpiapiano

Earning My Ears
This is something that has really, REALLY been bothering me. Since March 28, 2019 WDW will not allow loose ice to be brought into the parks. However, ice packs are allowed. Question - HOW CAN YOU KEEP AN ICE PACK FROZEN UNLESS YOU HAVE A FREEZER???!!!!! (Okay, that's a rhetorical question).

Why doesn't Disney replace the mini fridges in the resort rooms and studio villas with mini fridges that have a small freezer compartment. Actually, I noticed that the Riviera Resort has a small freezer in their studio villas. If Disney is forbidding loose ice, (and I understand why they Are making this rule) they really need to make some accommodations for the new restriction. Just my opinion.

This is something that has really, REALLY been bothering me. Since March 28, 2019 WDW will not allow loose ice to be brought into the parks. However, ice packs are allowed. Question - HOW CAN YOU KEEP AN ICE PACK FROZEN UNLESS YOU HAVE A FREEZER???!!!!! (Okay, that's a rhetorical question).

Why doesn't Disney replace the mini fridges in the resort rooms and studio villas with mini fridges that have a small freezer compartment. Actually, I noticed that the Riviera Resort has a small freezer in their studio villas. If Disney is forbidding loose ice, (and I understand why they Are making this rule) they really need to make some accommodations for the new restriction. Just my opinion.
Do you want your dues to pay to replace perfectly good refrigerators because they don't have a freezer compartment? I sure don't.

Bring a zippered plastic bag and grab ice from the machine each morning. Problem solved.

That's what they had everywhere and then some ridiculous person decided fridges were all that was needed. If one failed they replaced with fridge only and that's what they put in during refurbs and a few of the new resorts that fell within that period. Hopefully since they put the freezer/fridge combos in Riviera that's what can be expected again going forward. There was some chit chat at the time of fire dangers with freezer/fridge combos although I doubt it was every model ever made.

I'm so happy that the Riviera included the fridge/freezer however Saratoga Springs got a refurb. at the end of June 2019. New murphy beds (a big plus) but no freezer. Disappointing!!

I'm so happy that the Riviera included the fridge/freezer however Saratoga Springs got a refurb. at the end of June 2019. New murphy beds (a big plus) but no freezer. Disappointing!!

That's disappointing. I hadn't heard if they were getting the combo units or not.

Do you want your dues to pay to replace perfectly good refrigerators because they don't have a freezer compartment? I sure don't.

Bring a zippered plastic bag and grab ice from the machine each morning. Problem solved.

Disney Refurbishes rooms all the time!!!! Would you rather they treat DVC resorts like cheap apartment complexes only replacing appliances that break down?

Are you angry over the new Murphy beds, new flooring or new appointments at SS? Soon these refurbishments will be coming to other DVC resorts. Disney invests lots of money in improvements when it comes to their resorts. Replacing mini fridges with fridge/freezers are a tiny budget item in comparison to those improvements. That's why dvc owners pay dues. I'm happy for the upgrades and consider a fridge/freezer to be an essential enhancement.

Last edited:
Disney Refurbishes rooms all the time!!!! Would you rather they treat DVC resorts like cheap apartment complexes only replacing appliances that break down?

Are you angry over the new Murphy beds, new flooring or new appointments at SS? Soon these refurbishments will be coming to other DVC resorts. Disney invests lots of money in improvements when it comes to their resorts. Replacing mini fridges with fridge/freezers are a tiny budget item in comparison to those improvements. That's why dvc owners pay dues. I'm happy for the upgrades and consider a fridge/freezer to be an essential enhancement.
I’m saying that there is no need to go around replacing perfectly good refrigerators outside of the scheduled refurbishments.

Flooring wasn’t replaced just because it’s easier to keep clean. It was replaced during a scheduled refurb.

Sofa beds are not being replaced in all of the resorts just because the Murphy beds are the newest thing in guest comfort. They are being replaced as refurbs are being done.

Disney might invest lots of money in resort improvements but DVC owners pay for all of the improvements that are done to DVC resorts. And I don’t want to pay for new refrigerators because some people want a tiny freezer compartment that often doesn’t even work well.

This subject has me scratching my head a bit. I just saw a video of a refurbished room at Old Key West. There WAS a freezer compartment in the mini fridge but there wasn't a freezer compartment in the refurbished rooms at SS.

I'm not suggesting that new mini fridge/freezers be put into every resort room tomorrow. I am suggesting that when a refurbishment takes place, Disney should replace the mini fridge with a mini fridge/freezer unit. The mini fridges get replaced all the time during a refurbishment. It seems logical that Disney when these fridges are replaced, Disney should replace them with a fridge/freezer unit.

A few weeks ago, there was some talk of Disney requiring masks to enter the parks. This was followed by an announcement that if masks were required, Disney would provide a mask to anyone who didn't have one. If Disney made the requirement of "no loose ice" then Disney should make accommodations for their requirement.

BillPA -

Obviously there is a cost issue for most patrons. Sure, most everyone would prefer a 1 bedroom to a studio villa. Most everyone would prefer having a washer/dryer in their unit. Most people would prefer a full size kitchen.

I'm just bringing up the fact that last year Disney disallowed loose ice but allowed ice packs to be brought into the parks. I brought up the point that ice packs could not be kept frozen in the vast majority of resort rooms and in most dvc studio villas. Most folks stay at the resort they can afford, not the one they really want to stay at if money was no object.

Your argument taken to its conclusion might as well be stated "hey, if you want go to WDW, stay for a week with your whole family in a really nice accommodation with a full kitchen, living room, dining room, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a fireworks view of the Magic Kingdom, just stay at the Polynesian Bungalows. You can easily rent the points for $15,500.00 - $29,000.00 depending on the week you want to go.

DVC is not for everyone, that's why the have they pop and all stars.

And if you need ice, just ask at any counter service location, they will give you all you need. FREE the best deal in WDW.

All the resorts up until I'm not sure when- PVB? CCV? started with combo fridge/freezers in the studios. IMO it's not much to ask that the amenities be kept the same during refurbs and replacements of failed units.

BillPA - There's a big chasm between becoming a member of the DVC and going to a value resort. Obviously there's a big difference between a value and a deluxe resort or a DVC villa. I'm not demanding strict egalitarianism when it comes to Disney resorts. I'm not asking that a monorail or even a skyliner connect every resort. I'm not proposing that every resort room be 350+ square feet with a fantastic view. I'm not denying that folks who are willing to pay for larger villas shouldn't enjoy an in-room washer and dryer, a full size kitchen and a jacuzzi tub; all amenities which aren't available in studio villas.

I just think it's a good idea nowadays that the mini fridges have a small freezer compartment. Some studio units have them, some don't. A while back, most resort rooms had freezer compartments, now they don't. A year ago, you could bring loose ice into the parks, now you can't.

Are you offended that some folks who stay in a dvc resort rent points rather then investing in a membership? Do you believe that the amenity of having a freezer should be an exclusive priviledge; an amenity which was common a few years ago? It seems that Disney has already replaced many of the new mini fridges with units that have nice glass doors. Why does it seem to be a huge point of contention to ask for a freezer compartment?

It seems that what you really crave is exclusivity.
Furthermore, asking for ice at a counter service spot? They'll give you a small paper cup of ice but they're not going to fill up a cooler.

BillPA - There's a big chasm between becoming a member of the DVC and going to a value resort. Obviously there's a big difference between a value and a deluxe resort or a DVC villa. I'm not demanding strict egalitarianism when it comes to Disney resorts. I'm not asking that a monorail or even a skyliner connect every resort. I'm not proposing that every resort room be 350+ square feet with a fantastic view. I'm not denying that folks who are willing to pay for larger villas shouldn't enjoy an in-room washer and dryer, a full size kitchen and a jacuzzi tub; all amenities which aren't available in studio villas.

I just think it's a good idea nowadays that the mini fridges have a small freezer compartment. Some studio units have them, some don't. A while back, most resort rooms had freezer compartments, now they don't. A year ago, you could bring loose ice into the parks, now you can't.

Are you offended that some folks who stay in a dvc resort rent points rather then investing in a membership? Do you believe that the amenity of having a freezer should be an exclusive priviledge; an amenity which was common a few years ago? It seems that Disney has already replaced many of the new mini fridges with units that have nice glass doors. Why does it seem to be a huge point of contention to ask for a freezer compartment?

It seems that what you really crave is exclusivity.
Furthermore, asking for ice at a counter service spot? They'll give you a small paper cup of ice but they're not going to fill up a cooler.
You’re not an owner? You don’t pay dues? (Correct me if I’m misunderstanding.) Yet you want owners to pay to upgrade refrigerators in the studios to refrigerators with freezers for your convenience. SMH :sad2:

If I’m wrong, and you’re an owner, then why not contact member satisfaction and voice your opinion? If enough members feel as strongly as you, perhaps they will ding all of us with an increase in dues to cover the changeover.

They may or may not get replaced with a refrigerator w/freezer on the next scheduled major refurbishment (working appliances aren’t always on the list for replacement during refurbs). Or if a refrigerator dies an untimely death before that refurb it might be replaced with a newer model that includes a freezer. Or it might not.

If you want a real frig/freezer get a 1BR or larger.

I was thinking of that. I put lots of ice in my soft drink (or whatever I'm drinking in my room) so that's one reason I prefer the 1 BR.
Going to the ice machine with my ice bucket to fill it reminds me of the "old days" (pre-2002) when I stayed at regular Disney resorts. Not having to do it any more was one thing I really enjoyed when we joined DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!