Mini park report - Space Mtn, Buzz, crowds + park pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Went to the park yesterday. A few small updates and some info:

We were told a few different things about the Space Mountain opening date (two weeks, a week, etc). But it now seems that it'll re-open on Friday, as planned (hopefully).

The scoring on Buzz is still extremely fried. Of about seven games, only one of my scores came through. In two cases, I rode with my mom and her score came through and mine showed only "0." It's like they're targeting me specifically now! ;-).

Crowds were fantastic. I suspect that's because rain was in the forecast for several days prior but it changed early in the morning Sunday. As it turned out, we actually got a fair amount of sun and absolutely zero rain.

The issue of the left side of the castle at rope drop remains a major source of annoyance. Once again, we were told it was closed yesterday. As we rounded the hat shop in FL -- that is, after going the long way around -- several guests came streaming in via the "closed" pathway. About three weeks ago I decided I'd try to take that path at RD only to be told by the CM there that it was, in fact, closed. For once, they knew what they were talking about. We can't wait until the castle is open once again, if only for that reason alone.

Park pics:

IMG_8790.JPG

IMG_8793.JPG

Whoa! Absolutely no one in line for Space Mountain! That's amazi... Oh. Never mind.
IMG_8796.jpg

Mickey's 90th birthday cake at the Grand Californian.
IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_8799.JPG

IMG_8800.JPG

IMG_8801.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for your report! I love all your pics. :) So PP is best accessed to the right past Matterhorn? We are going to attempt it this Tuesday during our MM!

Crowds were amazing (low) on Sunday. Maybe it was the forecast? Maybe it was losing an hour of sleep the night before. But it seemed less crowded for sure.

Here Monday and the crowds are definitely not low today.
Yeah. People always say Mondays are crazy. I’ve been to the parks almost every weekend this year, and today (Monday) is as busy as I’ve seen it on any of my visits this year.

What is it about a Monday??

We were at DL yesterday. It was wonderful. We went from 8am-3pm and went on:
Dumbo
Mr Toad
Pinocchio
Snow White
Mad Tea Party
Alice
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Star Tours
Buzz Lightyear
Roger Rabbit
It’s A Small World
Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones
Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes

Plus took an hour break for lunch and shopped a bit. We came all geared up for rain but the rain never showed up. Saturday afternoon/evening at DCA was really really crowded. Today at Disneyland it’s insane. We walked on Splash Mtn at about 10 am. Then right after we got off the ride, it went up to 45 min.

It is totally worth it to be the early bird.

I checked the times on the app earlier today. At about 3pm TSMM and Soarin were 90 minutes and RSR was 160 minutes. I know Spring Breaks are starting but those waits are crazy! We will be there in 2 weeks and not going to the parks on Monday. Thanks Disboards!

Yeah. People always say Mondays are crazy. I’ve been to the parks almost every weekend this year, and today (Monday) is as busy as I’ve seen it on any of my visits this year.

What is it about a Monday??
It is the busiest I have ever seen it today (though admittedly we don’t come around Christmas time). Small World has had 45 min to an hour wait all day, I have never seen that on the non-holiday version. Hopefully the Mondays are crazy thing is true and it won’t be this bad the rest of the week.

Mickey's 90th birthday cake at the Grand Californian.
Thanks for sharing the cake photos! I had no idea that was there. Do you have any idea how long it will be on display? My daughters would love to see it (and may spend a fair bit of time hunting for the hidden Mickeys) but we aren't coming until early April.

@WonkaKid You got a shout out in the Disneyland edition of the Dis Unplugged today! Pete loves your weekly posts! I got all excited (for someone who doesn't really know you...)!! :cool1:

Wow - so cool! I had no idea. I'll see if I can find it. Is it to one on YouTube or the actual Podcast? Would you mind posting a link?

Thanks again!

Yes, I’ve posted it several times. You should be able to find it with a forum search.

You severely overestimate the forum's search capabilities. haha. I searched for all your posts containing the word "buzz" in the title and couldn't find it. Nothing with google either. Oh well.

You severely overestimate the forum's search capabilities. haha. I searched for all your posts containing the word "buzz" in the title and couldn't find it. Nothing with google either. Oh well.

OK. Here they are, then:

· Only ever shoot diamonds (5,000 points) and triangles (10,000 points – 50,000 when lit). Shoot squares only when lit (5000 points). As I explained to two girls in line behind me recently, shooting one triangle is the scoring equivalent to shooting 100 circles. Don’t waste time on circles.

· Shoot targets multiple times, not just once. I often leave the first room with 250,000 – 300,000 points.

· If you have trouble hitting targets, take a moment to shoot at a blank wall to determine if your gun is shooting high, low or to one side. Often times that’s the key. Not all guns are created equal ;-).

· Make note of where the triangle targets are and go for them as often as possible. For example, in the second to last room (where the second Zurg is), there’s one behind you as you near the exit. You have to shoot the circle beneath it to make it pop up. That alone -- hitting it ten times -- can earn players at least 100,000 points.

· This won’t be an issue for most players, but be aware that if you exceed approximately 2,096,000, your score will reset and you’ll lose everything. This happens to me regularly and it’s very frustrating. The challenge is that once you exceed 1M points, the cruiser will only display 999999. You’ll need to keep track (or try to) in your head. This has been an issue for the past 20 months or so. I’ve raised it with Disney many times but I think it unlikely that they’ll ever fix it. Indeed, I was told by Disney recently that the ride was never meant to allow players to exceed that score. The way it performs now is the way it was always intended to.
· On a related note, scores above 1M will only display at the photo kiosks at the ride exit. Lately there’ve been problems with scores flowing through with pictures. I’ve also raised this issue with Disney and hopefully it will be corrected.

OK. Here they are, then:

· Only ever shoot diamonds (5,000 points) and triangles (10,000 points – 50,000 when lit). Shoot squares only when lit (5000 points). As I explained to two girls in line behind me recently, shooting one triangle is the scoring equivalent to shooting 100 circles. Don’t waste time on circles.

· Shoot targets multiple times, not just once. I often leave the first room with 250,000 – 300,000 points.

· If you have trouble hitting targets, take a moment to shoot at a blank wall to determine if your gun is shooting high, low or to one side. Often times that’s the key. Not all guns are created equal ;-).

· Make note of where the triangle targets are and go for them as often as possible. For example, in the second to last room (where the second Zurg is), there’s one behind you as you near the exit. You have to shoot the circle beneath it to make it pop up. That alone -- hitting it ten times -- can earn players at least 100,000 points.

· This won’t be an issue for most players, but be aware that if you exceed approximately 2,096,000, your score will reset and you’ll lose everything. This happens to me regularly and it’s very frustrating. The challenge is that once you exceed 1M points, the cruiser will only display 999999. You’ll need to keep track (or try to) in your head. This has been an issue for the past 20 months or so. I’ve raised it with Disney many times but I think it unlikely that they’ll ever fix it. Indeed, I was told by Disney recently that the ride was never meant to allow players to exceed that score. The way it performs now is the way it was always intended to.
· On a related note, scores above 1M will only display at the photo kiosks at the ride exit. Lately there’ve been problems with scores flowing through with pictures. I’ve also raised this issue with Disney and hopefully it will be corrected.

Oh, I gotta screenshot this one... maybe I can get more than 70,000 points next time...I will try for sure!

And some new great photos... thanks!

Thank you Wonkakid for your Buzz tipps. Maybe with that I will have a chance to beat my husband when we go in June. :P Love your pictures, tipps and reports every week. Make me feel a little bit like beeing there.:thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter