Mini Trip Report - WDW and UOR 8/9/20 - 8/14/20

Hogsmeade still takes your breath away as you walk in. There had been a fire bagstage on Hagrids two days before so not running the whole day. That was a major bummer I had really been looking forward to trying side car this time! I have only been on the motor bike portion thus far so my plans were thwarted. Oh well that is what future trips are for right? So off to Forbidden Journey it was. Still love walking through the castle and the fantastic ride - although weird with the dementors "off."

Ahh I relate to her so well...

Shopped my way back through Hogsmeade and took pictures - it was such a beautiful day.

Got back on the Hogwarts express so I could experience it both ways. Yup could definitely get used to having a compartment to myself each time.

Decided I wanted to go back towards London so had quite a nice chat with the Knight bus driver - woke him up from a nap though!!

More time for pics at the Studios! Simpsons with all the colors, central park, the character floats, all so much fun. I slowly made my way to the front of the park but at this point without stopping for rides or food my mask was getting a little uncomfortable. Luckily I was also a bit peckish so I just happened upon Voodoo donuts….don't mind if I do! Got a fabulous chocolate old fashioned, found a table in the shade, and enjoyed my donut and water while watching the boats to the hotels and people watching. That was a nice break and ready for Islands of Adventure. There were definitely more people streaming in at this point - it was 11:30 and I couldn't believe how many people were just getting there! But the early bird gets the worm….or in my case the pasty.

Entered IOA and again it was more picture time, but I also stopped in more shops trying to keep a little cooler than I had at the studios. Much better plan! Loved seeing the progress on the Jurassic park coaster. It looks like it will be absolutely amazing. At this time wait times were getting prohibitive with no Express pass or single rider line, and not wanting to do water rides I decided to call it a day. Hit up Starbucks for an afternoon pick me up on my way out and my Uber came within a minute - so I found myself chugging coffee for a second day in a row. He was great though and understood why I wanted to finish my drink before getting in and then we ventured back to the hotel. Another fabulous day at UOR though! I wished I had switched to staying onsite so I could have taken a break then headed back into the park. I will not be making that mistake on my next trip! Hard Rock with a fabulous AP rate here I come!

Up next: final day at Hollywood Studios.

After reading many reports of the craziness of rope drop at Hollywood Studios, I decided I would try shooting for an after lunch arrival and gambling on the 2:00 pm drop for Rise of the Resistance. I walked over from the Swan around 12:30 after some rain and I was the only person on the walking path. So peaceful - I love that walk. It was almost eerie though especially with no Friendship boats running.

Temperature check and security were no lines whatsoever at this point as expected, as there were more people leaving the park than entering. Took a look at wait times and as most were quite high I decided to try Sunset Boulevard first.

Tower was out past the bathrooms and Rockin' Rollercoaster had most of the outdoor queue filled so I figured they were on a cleaning cycle. I hadn't seen Lightning McQueens racing academy yet though so I got in that queue and the only wait is for the previous show to conclude. Super cute show and I can't wait to go back with my nephews I know they will love it!

As I exited the LM show RNR now only had 5 groups visible in the line so in I went. Waited 5 minutes before I had my backstage pass to the limo (no preshow running but I knew Aerosmith would still give us the in). ;) Was able to ride 3 times before I needed a break so stopped for a water and went to see the Disney Society Orchestra at the Beauty and Beast stage. What a fun show! They played a bunch of jazzy disney tunes then a few characters walked on stage. Very cute. I will obviously be very excited when the full show comes back, but I really wouldn't mind seeing the ensemble play somewhere at HS even when things return to normal. They were so fun and I adore live music like that.

During the show it hit 2pm so I did have to pay attention to my phone - scored backup group 59 for ROTR! Since they were boarding groups in the low 40's at that point I figured I would likely be able to ride barring any breakdowns. Woohoo! Went over to Toy story Mania and did horribly but had a lot of fun, then did Alien Saucers.

I wanted to stay close to the area between TSL and Galaxies edge because I wanted the Baby Yoda magic shot! But no photographers in that area so I wandered into Batuu and got entirely too many pictures of myself taken in my search for the Baby Yoda shot. Alas, the 4th photographer confirmed that after her break she would be over the TSL entrance to Galaxies with a rumored Child sighting.

My boarding group was drawing closer so a quick ride on start tours then it was time for dinner so ended up a Baseline Taphouse. I ordered the steak puff and a Hefeweizen. Both were delicious and hit the spot for a light dinner.

When I was one boarding group away I headed back into Galaxies Edge and waited about 2 minutes before my group was called and headed into the ROTR queue! Still love that ride and am blown away each time about the level of immersion into the story they are able to achieve. Also nice that I got a whole ride vehicle by myself!

SPOILER ALERT! Rise of the Resistance Pics!

Elsa what a great TR, thanks for lots of new info.

Should be at Swan in a month, but had no idea the boats aren’t running ugh. Shamefully, hate that long, hot walk to MGM. Going to assume they do have a bus but probably just as long of a walk with new stops in parking lot lol

The grotto is my fav spot at pool there too!

Had been wondering how HExpress would run with social distancing. Sounds as though it’s one group per car? Would you say to allow for at least double the normal time for it?

Couple more ROTR pics:

Ambled back through Batuu over to the Chinese Theater.

I hadn't yet ridden Runaway railway, so that was the next stop. I had watched on youtube previously and didn't think much of it, but it is adorable to ride in person and I liked it way more than I thought I would. The wait time was listed at 45 and I waited about 25, so not bad at all and it felt like it moved very fast.

Back over to Sunset boulevard for 3 rides on Tower of terror with 10 minute waits!

Decided to finish my night at slinky dog. The sun was getting lower on the horizon so the TSL lights were on and waited about 10 minutes apiece for 2 rides - but then there was a flash of lighting in the distance so my plans for a third ride were thwarted.

Well, when life gives you lightening, you go to the newest ride in the park instead! Back to MMRR in line 1 minute before official park close. Ride moved quickly and was back out by 8:25. Only issue was the lightening had found its way closer with its old pal, Torrential Downpour. Seeing how I was wearing a white tank top I was VERY glad I had packed a poncho, so I geared up for the long walk of rain back to the hotel. But it was another great day at the parks. I lost count of the rides but it was plenty!!!

Following along on your fun trip report. You are so lucky to do both disney and Universal on this trip. Love them both!

Thanks so much for following along DisneySeniors! :thumbsup2 Yes I feel fortunate to have an annual pass at post places. They are both so great and offer different experiences! Glad you love both too!

Elsa what a great TR, thanks for lots of new info.

Should be at Swan in a month, but had no idea the boats aren’t running ugh. Shamefully, hate that long, hot walk to MGM. Going to assume they do have a bus but probably just as long of a walk with new stops in parking lot lol

The grotto is my fav spot at pool there too!

Had been wondering how HExpress would run with social distancing. Sounds as though it’s one group per car? Would you say to allow for at least double the normal time for it?

Yay Welcome Keisha!! Glad you are following along. :thumbsup2 Yes I was quite disappointed in the boats not running either. I think once the Dolphin opens and Yacht club is accessible again they will be going - so hopefully when we visit in September that will be an option again!

They did have the bus option instead, but I agree I felt like by the time I walked over to the bus and then waited in line, I would be about the same just walking back.

Yes it was crazy having one compartment per party! I would say at least double the time, or maybe even triple. For folks with only one or two per compartment the capacity is significantly cut. But it did feel like it moved reasonably fast, but since I rode fairly early in the morning I'm not sure what the afternoon waits reached.

@Elsaspiritanimal thank you for sharing your trip and the great photographs! Sounds like you had such a good time. HS is GS favourite and I think will be even more so next time as he’s got into Star Wars with his Mummy!

Welcome Realfood I'm so glad you ventured over for this report! :thumbsup2 It really was such a nice trip. I think your GS has good taste! The old school Hollywood glamour you get in the park is so fun, and as a recent Star Wars fan convert (I blame Baby yoda) that area of the park is a special addition. Thanks for following along!

Overall: We had such a great trip. It felt like an old school Disneyland trip in the best way possible. I didn't as much time looking at my phone refreshing for the next fastpass, I slept more, and just felt so grateful that I was able to do this trip with my dear friend and take a step away from real life for a bit. Of course I will be excited to have the world get back to normal but I really did enjoy having personal space in the line queues, and I really loved the lower crowds. I'm fortunate to have an AP and have been to the parks many times so I'm aware of what was missing (fireworks, closures, etc) but I was also reminded why I keep coming back to these places - the chance to have a little wonder, awe, peace, excitement, joy, and beauty, and fun all rolled into one week.

I will leave you with some random final pics, but please let me know if you have any questions about the parks, hotels, transportation, etc and I'd be happy to answer!

View from the room with storms incoming:

Garden Grove in the Swan at breakfast time:

King's Cross Station at UOR

Epcot flowers by Hawaii booth:

Sunset at the fire station:

Cali Grill Observation deck after dinner:

See ya real soon! :earsboy:

Especially Love the last picture angle. Will be borrowing that shot lol

never have I had such a nice view at Swolfin:thumbsup2
Yes when the photopass photographer told us to turn around I figured it would be a nice shot, but it really turned out awesome with the angle she did! It will be perfect for my scrapbook on the end of the trip page!

Hope you get a great view on your next trip! This was one of my nicer views although I really have been quite fortunate to never get the dreaded dumpster view or anything close!

Enjoying your report and photos are fantastic. My husband and I will be going down September 3rd - September 19th. Staying at BLT, BWV and then the Swan. Like you said in your report, this a trip to just get away, relax and just roll with it in the parks when we go. Thanks again.

Enjoying your report and photos are fantastic. My husband and I will be going down September 3rd - September 19th. Staying at BLT, BWV and then the Swan. Like you said in your report, this a trip to just get away, relax and just roll with it in the parks when we go. Thanks again.
Thank you so much @7susan7; thanks for reading! :thumbsup2 So great that you will be heading down soon. You have a lot of wonderful resorts to stay at as well so hopefully you will be able to get in a lot of that relaxation time. Have a wonderful trip!!

I'm definitely jealous reading your wonderful report, but in a good way! :-) I wish we didn't have to take a plane or drive a million hours to get there. I'm dying to get back to the magic! Those low waits and multiple rides sound perfect. Your writing style was also very easy to read and follow along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter